Will the CX-90 PHEV be gutless?

I saw that, which is not so much a credit to the PHEV as it is a big question as to why this thing with 340 some odd HP isn't a rocket off the line.
Minor correction - PHEV is 323 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque - the i6 Turbo S is 340 HP. Tests indicated around 6.3 sec for the high output i6 and around 6.5 sec for PHEV for 0-60. MDX is around 6.5 (MDX Type S is faster though).

Here is a review from Redline Reviews, where they get a 6.44s 0-60 for the PHEV (36:10 mark) and 6.3s 0-60 for the Turbo S models (26:25 mark). The I6 engine does sound pretty smooth, even with the slight digital engine noise enhancement. The 6.44s and 6.5s times they got for the PHEV were actually with the driver starting on the shoulder and pulling into the lane as he begins accelerating.

They also tested EV only mode for a 0-60, and its 13.72s. They do mention that while testing the EV only performance of the BMW X5 xDrive 45e, it got over 14s in their 0-60 run. Nice that Mazda also allows you to push it in EV only mode without engaging the engine until you hit the kickdown.

Based on these numbers, and the way each car accelerates from a stop, I'm starting to lean more towards the PHEV for the better fuel economy and the initial acceleration "feel".

Here is a review from Redline Reviews, where they get a 6.44s 0-60 for the PHEV (36:10 mark) and 6.3s 0-60 for the Turbo S models (26:25 mark). The I6 engine does sound pretty smooth, even with the slight digital engine noise enhancement. The 6.44s and 6.5s times they got for the PHEV were actually with the driver starting on the shoulder and pulling into the lane as he begins accelerating.

They also tested EV only mode for a 0-60, and its 13.72s. They do mention that while testing the EV only performance of the BMW X5 xDrive 45e, it got over 14s in their 0-60 run. Nice that Mazda also allows you to push it in EV only mode without engaging the engine until you hit the kickdown.

Based on these numbers, and the way each car accelerates from a stop, I'm starting to lean more towards the PHEV for the better fuel economy and the initial acceleration "feel".

I agree. The PHEV will offer just enough range for me to get to and back from work without having to use any gas but have the capability to take a big road trip.

Having driven the CX-90 (both the I-6 turbo-S and PHEV I-4) at a Mazda Drive event in Edmonton yesterday, I had the chance to drive the PHEV in full EV mode and again in Sport mode with the 2.5L na'd motor assisting.
No slouch, and in Sport mode, it spanks the I-6 turbo-S model in acceleration.

Out of curiosity: If you drain the battery on the PHEV as low as it'll go, power the car off, and turn it back on, is there enough power left in reserve to keep the claimed HP / TQ figures? How do they perform if you never plug them in? If I owned a PHEV I'd plug in, I'm just curious as to how the system works.

Hopefully someone with experience confirms but I saw in some review that the car will never let the battery go fully depleted. In theory the engine will start recharging the battery to keep it high enough to ensure the same power output.

If you never plug in the PHEV then you can set the engine in a mode that will recharge the battery all the way to full if you want. But that is not a very efficient way to do it. The huge advantage of a PHEV is the ability to plug-in, if you never plug it in you are better off with a regular hybrid (like the highlander hybrid) or even probably just the regular inline 6.

The reason is that PHEV don’t necessarily have great fuel economy when recharging the engine. You can look at the thread on the CX-60 category were people mention they are disappointed in the PHEV fuel economy numbers. And that is because the PHEV huge savings are when you can plug it in, not when running as a regular hybrid. If you are like me and your commute is short and you can plug in at home, then you get huge savings all week and barely consume any gas. That is where PHEVs shine.

Hopefully someone with experience confirms but I saw in some review that the car will never let the battery go fully depleted. In theory the engine will start recharging the battery to keep it high enough to ensure the same power output.

If you never plug in the PHEV then you can set the engine in a mode that will recharge the battery all the way to full if you want. But that is not a very efficient way to do it. The huge advantage of a PHEV is the ability to plug-in, if you never plug it in you are better off with a regular hybrid (like the highlander hybrid) or even probably just the regular inline 6.

The reason is that PHEV don’t necessarily have great fuel economy when recharging the engine. You can look at the thread on the CX-60 category were people mention they are disappointed in the PHEV fuel economy numbers. And that is because the PHEV huge savings are when you can plug it in, not when running as a regular hybrid. If you are like me and your commute is short and you can plug in at home, then you get huge savings all week and barely consume any gas. That is where PHEVs shine.
That makes sense. I'd be an inline 6 guy myself, mild hybrid is enough for me :)

I bought my CX-90 PHEV in September and after 3 months of driving, I have found the average EV miles for me has been 28 miles of pure EV driving which covers many of my trips. I am averaging over 60 to 61 eMPGs. I find the power incredible when I need to pass or speed up quick. The battery is engaged even if I have depleted the EV miles since the battery has more capacity than shown on the meter. Often when driving I will put the car in cruise control. Even after the 28 miles of EV driving is exhausted the car still shows EV driving since it uses power from going down hill and braking. I have the setting for aggressive regenerative braking and the car will almost come to a complete stop if I let it. I'm really impressed with this car. It has been a great experience.

Back