Votes: 22 29.7%
  • Yes, more than one actually...

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • No but I'm in the market for one...

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • No

Votes: 35 47.3%

• Total voters
While I understand the thinking behind the header titles for each section on this site, I think if you put Miata in the header for that section it might just grab people's attention more.
Yeah I had "Miata" before but changed it to be inline with the other model names...Good point though, changed back to Miata...Thanks for the suggestion! (y)

My 2019 GT-S...

IMG_0049.jpg

I have a 2008 MX5 and a 2014 3. Driving to work, to the gym, and back to home is never boring, as I alternate cars as often as possible. Exceptions are on rainy days - the MX5 has a Cold Air Intake that is positioned behind the front grill.
Yes, switching off always makes it feel like you're driving a new car. On rainy days I take the Miata as it's easier and quicker to wash down on the weekend.

I wouldn't say that the Miata forum here is lacking any features. More it's just that there are so many folks over there posting so much info.

That's not always good though.

There's a lot of misinformation as well. When I first joined the forum at Miata.net I wasn't expecting so many people there who know absolutely nothing about cars, and aren't afraid to show everyone how little they know. I guess I assumed that Miata owners were 'car people' and would know more bout their cars than they do. I really have to filter out the extraneous crap while I'm reading.
Well, you're probably mostly in the ND section... :D

I've owned my '91 since March 1991. Joined Miata.net in 1999 and hung out with many of the same folks prior to that on the old Prodigy server. Overall, you won't find a better car forum on the Interwebs than the Miata.net forum, even if a few sections are weak. I've "lived" on many other forums over the years, and there's just no comparison for depth of knowledge, willingness to help, access to Miata community experts, and resources. Especially for the NA/NB/NC.

It's just hard for anyone to compete with that. The other Miata-specific forums that do well are focused on more of a subset, like the boosted or racer crowd.

Having said that, I'm finding Mazdas247 to be a pretty good resource for my "new" CX-5 and I expect to spend some time here. But I had the same reaction to this forum as you had to Miata.net, so it may be just what one is used to. <shrug> I found myself going back to Miata.net to get the definite information on the Carplay/AA upgrade, for instance. As of yet, I don't see myself just hanging out here to talk cars like I do on Miata.net. At least over there, I can offer something from 29 years of Miata ownership. Over here, I'm still just a Taker for now. And, admittedly, the CX-5 doesn't generate the same passion for me as the Miata.

Well, you're probably mostly in the ND section... :D

I've owned my '91 since March 1991. Joined Miata.net in 1999 and hung out with many of the same folks prior to that on the old Prodigy server. Overall, you won't find a better car forum on the Interwebs than the Miata.net forum, even if a few sections are weak. I've "lived" on many other forums over the years, and there's just no comparison for depth of knowledge, willingness to help, access to Miata community experts, and resources. Especially for the NA/NB/NC.

It's just hard for anyone to compete with that. The other Miata-specific forums that do well are focused on more of a subset, like the boosted or racer crowd.

Having said that, I'm finding Mazdas247 to be a pretty good resource for my "new" CX-5 and I expect to spend some time here. But I had the same reaction to this forum as you had to Miata.net, so it may be just what one is used to. <shrug> I found myself going back to Miata.net to get the definite information on the Carplay/AA upgrade, for instance. As of yet, I don't see myself just hanging out here to talk cars like I do on Miata.net. At least over there, I can offer something from 29 years of Miata ownership. Over here, I'm still just a Taker for now. And, admittedly, the CX-5 doesn't generate the same passion for me as the Miata.

Not to take this thread too far off topic, but you bring up some excellent points. When you buy a Miata, you're buying a car with a specific purpose. Generally, Miata owners are like-minded in the fact that they wanted a fun to drive 2-seater that handles well, and those owners appreciate the car for what it's meant to be. I think that would be reflected in the forum community with everyone being on more or less the same page.

On the other hand, a forum like this one is home to many different drivers that have different mindsets. One CX-5 owner may not be able to appreciate someone who wants to lower/lift their CX-5 or add an aftermarket turbo. Instead, those owners chime in with their opinions about "the car is too low to drive anywhere" or "you're going to void the warranty", etc. etc., mainly because they bought their CX-5 to get from A to B in a nice looking vehicle that's fun to drive. They joined this forum to learn more about DIY maintenance, recall/service bulletin info, pricing/leasing information, etc. I'm sure there are people like that on Miata.net as well, but I bet they are few and far between, mostly because Miata.net is a forum for an enthusiast's car, and most enthusiasts understand the desire to tweak or modify certain aspects of their car.

Last edited:
The Miata has always been in production (if I'm not mistaken) unlike the P5, MP3, MSP, MS3, MS6, RX-7, RX-8 etc. All enthusiast models we cater to but unfortunately, Mazda stopped producing ALL of them except for the Miata. When production stops, in most cases so does the interest and activity (for those out-of-production models). You could say there is still a lot of interest in the RX-7 but it seems to me nothing like there was when it was in production (and for a few years afterwards).

That said, there are all types of enthusiasts. I consider many Members on here to be enthusiasts (you could say that simply becoming a Forum Member is qualification). You don't need to be modifying your Mazda to the extreme to be an "enthusiast".

It is cool that many CX-5 Owners are also fans and owners of the Miata. Hopefully we can stimulate more Miata discussion here over time...Step by step!

Yes, switching off always makes it feel like you're driving a new car. On rainy days I take the Miata as it's easier and quicker to wash down on the weekend.
This is very true. There aren't many cars out there that are easier to clean.

I'm actually interested in getting the NC version. Have been looking for a six speed hardtop. I tried out the ND and just wasn't comfortable, Also since this strictly my toy, I'm trying to keep it around $5000 so a 2006 - 2008 may be a possibility. Still have to drive one though. Wife thinks I'm too old, too tall and too fat to own one.

There's a guy in the other Miata NC forum who is 6'3". He did lower his seat but that's all he had to do. My 2008 is always lots of fun. If you get the PRHT version, be sure to pick up a Mods4Cars SmartTop module. It allows you to raise or lower the top at speeds of up to 30 MPH with just one press of the button.

Back