while installing my summer tires...

yunvi

:
2014 Mazda CX5 GS
I noticed this...

20140409_190720_zps7f7b2477.jpg

I have no idea what they are called, but both of these were broken (front left and right). Is this cause for concern?

vehicle is a 2014 CX5 Touring. Bought it in August last year.

They're called "shock boots" and it's not uncommon. Judging from where you hail from, the cold probably made them brittle and prone to failure. Should be covered under warranty.

They're called "shock boots" and it's not uncommon. Judging from where you hail from, the cold probably made them brittle and prone to failure. Should be covered under warranty.

Shock boots eh. Thanks paris1. I'll give them a call and see what happens, and will report back just for the sake of it (informing the community that is)

I also have to ask them about this "clicking" noise i hear when the front wheels go over an un even surface. a speed bump, or uneven pavement, or sometimes i hear it during slow turns. very irritating. Seen a couple other people have mentioned it. Hopefully its just something that needs to get tightened.

That is something that should be replaced under warranty.

The whole strut must be removed in order to get to those covers. Once they are re-installed, the car should also get realigned by the dealer.

I'm surprised to see them fail so quickly, even under the harsh conditions of your locations. However it's normal to see those things fail after many years of use.

Just replaced my winter tires with all season yesterday, I did look at those shock boots and they're ok, did you drive over lots of rough road? and man we have lots of them this winter. Where about are you in Ottawa?

Thanks deep fried. Yeah I called up the dealer and they said they'll take care of it.

I want to bring the vehicle in to get rid of this clicking noise. It drives me crazy.

Tdman I'm in orleans. This was a brutal winter for sure. Glad it's done.

I drive through Orleans on route to my cottage in the Gatineau Hills (I cross over on the ferry at Cumberland). I was there over Christmas and New Years. God Damn it was cold!!

Bon

By the way, I see you are getting 8.9 L / 100 kms. Do you have the 2 L or the 2.5 L....front or AWD?? I bought my 2.5 L AWD 6 weeks ago...and started off getting 12 L / 100 KM....and am now getting 11 L / 100 Kms. I wish I was getting 8.9

Bon

By the way, I see you are getting 8.9 L / 100 kms. Do you have the 2 L or the 2.5 L....front or AWD?? I bought my 2.5 L AWD 6 weeks ago...and started off getting 12 L / 100 KM....and am now getting 11 L / 100 Kms. I wish I was getting 8.9

Bon

Yup ! Ottawa winters ain't nothing funny.

I've got the front wheel drive 2.5.L. I'm actually getting 9.4. I need to update that fuelly thing.

Shock boots eh. Thanks paris1. I'll give them a call and see what happens, and will report back just for the sake of it (informing the community that is)

I also have to ask them about this "clicking" noise i hear when the front wheels go over an un even surface. a speed bump, or uneven pavement, or sometimes i hear it during slow turns. very irritating. Seen a couple other people have mentioned it. Hopefully its just something that needs to get tightened.

Could be the strut bearing. I have this issue on my front drivers strut. See TSB: http://www.rx8club.com/attachments/...cking-squeaking-noise-front-strut-bearing-pdf

Same happened to my CX-5. Both sides.

I'll see what the dealer says.

I'm curious to see whether the dealer actually removes the strut and uses original boots or goes with the split replacement boot. If they failed that early this looks like it will be a routine maintenance item.

Mine isn't totally beat up yet, but this is only 6 months / 16,000 km... sent a note to the dealer already to see what they want to do

4TTv2zQ.jpg

I'm curious to see whether the dealer actually removes the strut and uses original boots or goes with the split replacement boot. If they failed that early this looks like it will be a routine maintenance item.
What "split replacement boot"? What Mazda clearly needs to do is find another material for these that will hold up in cold weather. Otherwise, it will be a routine maintenance item in those climes and yes, the strut must come off in order to replace it.

What "split replacement boot"? What Mazda clearly needs to do is find another material for these that will hold up in cold weather. Otherwise, it will be a routine maintenance item in those climes and yes, the strut must come off in order to replace it.

I think he might mean if they just cut one in half and try to slide it over and zip-tie it? Any dealer who does that shouldn't be touching cars. Anyways - totally agree. Material is crap, not nearly thick or pliable enough. Some Russian guy talks on his blog about his getting replaced and you guessed it -- was splitting again not even a year later. Dealers are going to love the warranty work they suck out of this.

Apparently the new Mazda 6 (2014) uses the exact same part, so this might get even more people.

Wow. Just checked mine. They're just as bad. Feels like some kind of heavy paper material. Will have to check my stepdaughters CX 5 as well. Only complaint in my 13 months of ownership.

Wow. Just checked mine. They're just as bad. Feels like some kind of heavy paper material. Will have to check my stepdaughters CX 5 as well. Only complaint in my 13 months of ownership.
Not being that familiar with Pennsylvania weather, I assume you had some pretty low temps and snow this winter also?

Not being that familiar with Pennsylvania weather, I assume you had some pretty low temps and snow this winter also?
Little colder than usual with quite a bit of snow and ice. Nothing like in Canada. I just had it in for state inspection at the dealership a month ago and it wasn't noticed, guess they weren't that thorough. Was thinking about a wheel alignment anyway, maybe this one will be on Mazda...

Little colder than usual with quite a bit of snow and ice. Nothing like in Canada. I just had it in for state inspection at the dealership a month ago and it wasn't noticed, guess they weren't that thorough. Was thinking about a wheel alignment anyway, maybe this one will be on Mazda...
BTW, it should be stated that, while not minimizing the need to have these replaced (and improved!), there are tons of older cars running around with broken gators that have perfectly serviceable shocks. These covers provide only minimal protection from the elements, so owners shouldn't panic if they can't get this taken care of right away. One more thing, if your car is under 12 months/12k miles, Mazda is good for one free wheel alignment if you have a car with symptoms (ie low speed vibration, abnormal tire wear, etc.).

Yeah most people with coil overs don't seem to run with them either, so it's not critical.. but it shouldn't fall apart this easy. It does give me a bit more piece of mind for gravel/dirt roads though.. they at least block some junk from hitting the rod. Checked another local CX-5, it had the drivers side really shredded.

Back