Which HIDs for 2011 CX-9 Touring?

blackntan

:
2011 Mazda CX-9 Touring - Black n Tan
So, after a recent road trip, I realized that my wifes lowbeams are junk. I might as well have been driving blindfolded when it was dark. I want to get a set of good quality hids for her lowbeams, and am looking for suggestions.

I've bought 3 sets of china-bay $28 hid kits for my truck, and have had to receive replacement bulbs, and am now returning a set that has 2 bad ballasts. I won't put ebay hids or ddm in her car, because I want reliability, not cheapness.

With that said, what suggestions can some of you offer for good, reliable, long term hid kits? I don't mind spending some coin to get it done right the first time. My truck is the toy, and I'm fine with a few bolt-ons, but I'd prefer to keep my wifes 9 unmolested and completely reliable for her. Thanks.

If you don't want cheap knockoff bulbs, then your best bet is to go oem. There are some salvage vendors across the country selling complete headlamp assemblies...looks like they are going for about 700 bucks your cost for xenon complete headlamps taken off wrecked cx-9s. You have an '11 CX-9, I think they changed the headlight design in '10. So if you perform a search on CAR-PART, select 2010 - 2012 CX-9's. (the headlight styling change was either in 2010 or 2011. I think that the 2007 - 2009 would likely fit as well, just not sure about if it has the same wiring harness?

Oh, one other thing, the xenon headlamps have leveling motors, and I can't say for sure if the dummy blank in your dash has a plug behind it for the leveling knob or not... that would be your deal breaker right there going oem, cuz I could imagine that would need a new wiring harness, modified fuse box, harness running into the dash, etc to get that leveling knob. If you have to do all that business, they you would be better off getting good quality aftermarket hid ballasts, bulbs & wiring.

Thanks helbigtw. I'm definitely not going to be in it for $700 +/-, so I'll probably just start shopping around for HID kits that cost around $100-200. I'd assume that anything more expensive than the $25-50 ebay kits gotta be worth something.....

Thanks for the info nuru. I may have read your links wrong, but I don't need a retrofit or oem replacement hids. The car has factory projectors, but with halogens.

I ordered a hid kit today for about $85. Once I receive them and install them, I will post up the manufacturer and my review.

Check out these:

Replacement Bulbs for Head lights

http://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html

Discount
http://store.candlepower.com/hirlighting.html

Replacement Bulbs for Foglights

http://store.candlepower.com/800series.html

there is also a thread where these bulb types are discussed.

Blacktan, actually these are aftermarket replacements but they throw a lot more light than the factory units without having to add a new ballast.

Please do post the install pics, so everyone can see how it is down and potentially follow in your footsteps!

Was that price just for headlights? Who did you actually order them from? I have hard hat DDM is just fine, but if you know of a better aftermarket vendor, please do tell.

Thanks nuru, I guess I didn't really understand the links.

I can't comment on the vendor yet, since I haven't received the lights and tried them out, but I ordered from mod-express. The $85 package I got was for their slim ballast kit. 2 ballasts and 2 bulbs come in the kit. I've heard good things about DDM on another forum I participate in. A lot of people have had no problems, and some have burned out several sets of ballasts, which seems to be par for the course at that price range. I've got a couple sets of xentec that I got off ebay for $28/set. 1 of the 3 sets had faulty ballasts from the box. To me, that means problems ahead for the 2 sets of ballasts that are currently working properly. I figured(hoped) that if I throw a little more money at a hid set, I may get a little better quality, so I jumped on the $85 from mod-express.

I'll post up when I get them installed.

Thanks helbigtw. I'm definitely not going to be in it for $700 +/-, so I'll probably just start shopping around for HID kits that cost around $100-200. I'd assume that anything more expensive than the $25-50 ebay kits gotta be worth something.....
I got one of those cheap HID kits and am not happy with it. I need to double check a few things but more than likely I will be tossing it for a better quality one.

For those that are thinking in getting new oem xenon headlamps, there are companies that can provide xenon projectors that you can swamp in. You can choose to swap in projects that are even better than the oem xenon ones. Though it requires you to be a DIYer.

Without at least a projector lens (and possibly even with them), the light pattern won't be nearly like the OEM version is.

I just got my CX9 and have to sell of my 2000 Grand Cherokee which I converted to HID. While they are better than stock, the light pattern and cutoff is nowhere near a true OEM setup. Plus, if you care, there is a good chance you'll be blinding other drivers with light scatter. Just my 2 cents.

How's it going guys I got a pair of the DDM tuning HIDs 6000k with 55w ballast for my wife's 2010 cx9 sport two weeks after I bought the car and I had no problems what so ever with it

Sorry guys/gals that I haven't reported back. I've been real busy working on my truck over the past month, putting more lift in, adjustable UCA's, tires, wheels, etc. I'm now up to 8" of lift on 35's. A month ago, it was sitting at only 3" level kit on 33's, like my sig pic. Now, my wife is more interested in driving my truck, so looks like I'll be driving her 9 more often :)

IMAG1150.jpg

IMAG1156.jpg

It has been a nightmare with this Mod Express Hid Kit!

So, it took around 2 weeks to receive them, even though it was supposed to be priority mail shipping.
When I received everything, I tested everything. Turns out, one of the ballasts was DOA. So, I sent an email, they requested a picture of the ballast wiring cut, then they agreed to send a replacement. Took almost 2 weeks to receive the replacement ballast (they said it was on backorder) WTF?
Received the replacement ballast Saturday, and tackled the project on Sunday. I was skeptical, because the first pair of ballasts that they sent, both had a "34w" sticker on them. The new, replacement ballast had a "36w" sticker on it...hmmm.

First, I verified that the replacement ballast was firing. It fired the bulb up, check. I knew the other ballast I had was good, since I tested it before. Cool, time to get these things in.

The good news is that all of the wiring, ballast, etc. fit inside the headlight compartment, so I didn't have to cut/mod the little round thing that seals the headlight compartment. Even when removing the coolant reservoir from the passenger side, the passenger side bulb is a PITA to get to, probably because I'm not left-handed :D

Here's what comes in the kit:

IMAG1058.jpg

After I installed everything, with the replacement ballast, I found that we have a problem. Either the bulbs are different temperatures (different colors or one is faulty), or the difference in the ballast wattage is completely hosing everything up. I sent an email to mod-express today, with pics, and asked them if I could return it all for a refund, or if they had a way to get this fixed once and for all. Notice the color differences, and the better brightness of the passenger side HID.

IMAG1164.jpg

IMAG1165.jpg

IMAG1166.jpg

IMAG1167.jpg

As far as plug and play capability, I don't see why an aftermarket HID upgrade kit would be any worse than an OEM HID kit. As far as I know, both the T and the GT utilize the exact same projector, so theoretically, you can put a HID in the Touring projector lens and get the same HID lighting that the OEM GT light provides? Only difference is that with the OEM HID setup, you have warranty, and probably real good quality....which is still what I am hunting for :( I'll give Mod-express one more chance to get this right, or else I'm going to give DDM Tuning a shot....GRRRRR

Also, the install of these things is pretty self-explanatory to the average DIY'er, but here is a pretty good video I found that walks through the install. You will need to remove the three 10mm bolts holding the coolant reservoir on. I moved it over, and put it on top of the motor cover, gave me plenty of room to get in the passenger side light housing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HtNKPToPcA

good info, sucks on the quality issues though. that's my biggest fear is buying some POS kit from china, but i don't want them enough to go pony up hundreds of dollars to buy OEM. :(

Back