Where to get Theft-Resistant Bolts for Thule Vertex Hitch Rack?

Rarebit

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-5 2015 GT AWD
I bought a Vertex bike rack that fastens to my trailer hitch. The bolt hole in the tongue of the rack is threaded so the rack can be very tightly bolted through a hole in the hitch receiver. When properly torqued on, it holds my bike very securely. And with my Abus Granite U-lock, I can lock the bike and the front wheel securely to the Vertex rack.

This would be a very secure combination except for one flaw - the Thule bolts to the receiver, and the available Thule lock for this is expensive. I don't mind paying for a good lock, but just about every bike thief knows how to break Thule lock barrels with a screw driver. (The only thing worse than a Thule lock is the old Kryptonite locks that could be opened in 10 seconds with a Bic pen.)

Someone suggested buying a theft-resistant bolt that has a non hex head on it, and that requires a special key to remove it, like the theft resistant wheel bolts used for alloy wheels. It wouldn't be "theft proof" but it would be a lot more secure than Thule's "Snug Tight 2" hitch rack lock.

There are plenty of options on the internet for high security fasteners, but all the ones I've seen quote prices for 100 units. I only need one (though I'd get 2).

Has anyone found an online source for security bolts that will accept an order for just 2 bolts and keys?

Last edited:
Back