Looking for a hitch to attach a bike rack

I swung into Uhaul this past Friday as it's pretty convenient. Happened to talk to the manager. Turns out he was going to take a quick break but said he could get right on my install if I was interested. They were pretty busy at the counter that day. He mentioned he had done an install on a CX-5 the previous Saturday. So it only took him 45 minutes to do the install. Receiver only. Which is all I need. I went with Curt. Based on my research that seemed to be the way to go. $262 out the door. Ordered a couple of https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) and popped it on Saturday afternoon when it arrived.

Mag chloride is used here in CO. I have a carwash membership. I'm an early adopter so have a great monthly rate. Twice as much now. Anyway, their washes are good and I always choose to have the undercarriage washed. Hopefully won't have any issues there. This place doesn't use anything with "acids".

Now for the bike rack.

Last edited:
Anyone who might be interested:

20230227_161856.jpg
20230227_161848.jpg

I was going to order a Curt but once I looked into what Uhaul charged to mount one I just drove over and bought it there and had them mount it. I could have done it but for what it cost to have them mount it it was worth not dicking around for a DIY afternoon. I was in and out in less than an hour and it works fine for my bike rack, which is why I wanted it.

I was going to order a Curt but once I looked into what Uhaul charged to mount one I just drove over and bought it there and had them mount it. I could have done it but for what it cost to have them mount it it was worth not dicking around for a DIY afternoon. I was in and out in less than an hour and it works fine for my bike rack, which is why I wanted it.
Exactly!

I am a DIY and mechanically inclined so I will do it myself and looking at the photos and @DFZ24 photos the OEM sits quite a bit higher and looks better because of it to me. I have cut plenty of plastic on vehicles so not worried about making a nice clean cut. One thing I wish I could find online is the install instructions so I could review them before ordering. Seems every other Mazda accessory has install instructions listed but the 0000-8E-R06B does not.

I am a DIY and mechanically inclined so I will do it myself and looking at the photos and @DFZ24 photos the OEM sits quite a bit higher and looks better because of it to me. I have cut plenty of plastic on vehicles so not worried about making a nice clean cut. One thing I wish I could find online is the install instructions so I could review them before ordering. Seems every other Mazda accessory has install instructions listed but the 0000-8E-R06B does not.

Damn, I threw them away. They were quiet clear and I like how it brings the cut out diagram. Which is here somewhere, I remember seeing it.

Another thing, only downsize of OEM is that is a class I.

Damn, I threw them away. They were quiet clear and I like how it brings the cut out diagram. Which is here somewhere, I remember seeing it.

Another thing, only downsize of OEM is that is a class I.
I only need it for bikes. I have a power wagon for anything that needs pulling or hauling.

Found it
Check in attachments
R06A is also available

I also attached both here.
Screenshot_20230302_104659_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Attachments

• 00008ER06B_(Trailer Tow Hitch)_Inst_EN_0.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 76
  • 0000-8E-R06(TH)_TRI_2.pdf
    25.7 MB · Views: 77
Looks like having the Curt hitch at Uhaul is the way to go. I'm looking to use a 2 x bike rack to plugin. Was curious if there is anything new compared to what I found here doing research. I did see something about a stabilizer strap or similar when using a bike rack tho'. Just want to take the time to get this thought through before getting it done.

I had a dealer-installed hitch on my new '23. I don't know what brand it is, but it does have a wiring harness which I paid extra for. If you're going to have one installed, I would pay the extra for the wiring harness. If you ever need to haul a trailer, you'll be glad you have it.

Mazda 3-14-23 CX.jpg

I got a Draw-Tite 76138 Class III Hitch from Amazon and installed it myself. Quite easy to install, and does the job.
I went with the Draw-Tite too. It has a second hole to take the slop out of the stinger, and looked slightly better to me.

I had a dealer-installed hitch on my new '23. I don't know what brand it is, but it does have a wiring harness which I paid extra for. If you're going to have one installed, I would pay the extra for the wiring harness. If you ever need to haul a trailer, you'll be glad you have it.

View attachment 317923
You can see mine above (post #31). The bike rack is on at this point. I thought about the wiring, etc, but honestly, I do not see myself hauling a trailer or similar, ever.

Quick question on the OEM (00008ER06B) hitch. Is it a 2" or 1 1/4"? Some of the references online notes it as class I which is usually 1 1/4" but i cannot verify.

I helped my neighbor install his OEM hitch on his cx50 and mad is that heavy duty. side plates are like 1/2" thick. took about 20 minutes max. I ordered the OEM for my cx5 so just waiting for it to show up. The cx50 was well thought out as they have a removable piece that pops out so no cutting necessary . from BAM auto $274 shipped. I ordered my trunk mat from them and they were lightening quick on shipping so hopefully early next week.

pretty simple install and it tucks up much further than the aftermarket hitches which is what I wanted.basically the bottom of the hitch is at the bottom of the bumper trim.
IMG_3565.jpg
IMG_3568.jpg
IMG_3570.jpg
IMG_3590.jpg

Last edited:
Back