Looking for a hitch to attach a bike rack

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
Looks like having the Curt hitch at Uhaul is the way to go. I'm looking to use a 2 x bike rack to plugin. Was curious if there is anything new compared to what I found here doing research. I did see something about a stabilizer strap or similar when using a bike rack tho'. Just want to take the time to get this thought through before getting it done.

Last edited:
Looks like having the Curt hitch at Uhaul is the way to go. I'm looking to use a 2 x bike rack to plugin. Was curious if there is anything new compared to what I found here doing research. I did see something about a stabilizer strap or similar when using a bike rack tho'. Just want to take the time to get this thought through before getting it done.
I looked at this last year. Was planning to have Uhaul do it but figured I'd DIY.

The Uhaul Curt hitch is gloss black.

Went with Etrailer hitch...they have one thats basically a Curt but it's in matte black and blends with the CX better. And they include all the hardware to make install easy if you DIY. Ended up having my local mechanic install it (for cheap) because was having back problems at the time. Go to etrailer.com if interested otherwise Uhaul is fine. Also make sure Uhaul or etrailer give you the Curt hitch as they sell other brands Check the specs.

I looked at this last year. Was planning to have Uhaul do it but figured I'd DIY.

The Uhaul Curt hitch is gloss black.

Went with Etrailer hitch...they have one thats basically a Curt but it's in matte black and blends with the CX better. And they include all the hardware to make install easy if you DIY. Ended up having my local mechanic install it (for cheap) because was having back problems at the time. Go to etrailer.com if interested otherwise Uhaul is fine. Also make sure Uhaul or etrailer give you the Curt hitch as they sell other brands Check the specs.
Ya, I noticed they were offering another option (other than Curt) when looking at Uhaul.com. Guess I could pick up some flat black spray paint and repaint the exposed part. The bummer is I don't have a good setup at all to do it at home.

Ya, I noticed they were offering another option (other than Curt) when looking at Uhaul.com. Guess I could pick up some flat black spray paint and repaint the exposed part. The bummer is I don't have a good setup at all to do it at home.
Bought the flat black curt hitch on etrailer for $150 and paid mechanic $80 to install it...no wiring setup...was still about same as or cheaper than uhaul. Call you mechanic and get pricing.

Bought the flat black curt hitch on etrailer for $150 and paid mechanic $80 to install it...no wiring setup...was still about same as or cheaper than uhaul. Call you mechanic and get pricing.
Its now $162 for the etrailer matte black with hardware. Its really a Curt hitch branded for etrailer.

I got the U-Haul 2" Curt last year. Great job by U-Haul and the total installed was $218.

I got a Draw-Tite 76138 Class III Hitch from Amazon and installed it myself. Quite easy to install, and does the job.

I got the U-Haul 2" Curt last year. Great job by U-Haul and the total installed was $218.
Looks like it will be $262 here. Although I did read in a thread somewhere that someone was charged less than the estimate because it was fairly easy.

I went with the Etrailer matt black as well. My brother in law helped me install it. Easy enough but definitely easier with another set of hands. It's been on for a little over a year with no problems. I'm using a Kuat Sherpa 2.0 2-bike rack. Very easy to put on & take off. My local bike shop price matched an online deal & I got it for 20% off. I also got a 2"wall mount from Amazon that I use to store the bike rack when I'm not using it.

I went with the Etrailer matt black as well. My brother in law helped me install it. Easy enough but definitely easier with another set of hands. It's been on for a little over a year with no problems. I'm using a Kuat Sherpa 2.0 2-bike rack. Very easy to put on & take off. My local bike shop price matched an online deal & I got it for 20% off. I also got a 2"wall mount from Amazon that I use to store the bike rack when I'm not using it.
Nice rack. Pricey but has nice features. That tilt away from the car is nice.

I got OEM hitch because it is higher than the other ones.
With Allen sport deluxe 2 bike rack. Using straps or bungee cords to hold bike from moving around.

In one of the other threads someone mentioned they got a Stealth Hitch. Very nice but VERY pricey. The docking part of the hitch is removable when not in use so you can't see the hitch at all. You then attach the docking part when you want to use the hitch. Etrailer sells those as well.

Last edited:
I got OEM hitch because it is higher than the other ones.
With Allen sport deluxe 2 bike rack. Using straps or bungee cords to hold bike from moving around.
that is the way I am going. they Curt and draw-tite and other hitches look like they hang too low. I would rather spend a few dollars more and not have it hang so low.

that is the way I am going. they Curt and draw-tite and other hitches look like they hang too low. I would rather spend a few dollars more and not have it hang so low.
Hmmm. My etrailer/Curt hitch is a 2" hitch and right almost flush with the bottom of the bumper and hasn't scraped yet and not hauling any boats with the CX. Imo, the CX already has lousy ground clearance for the hitch heigth to even matter.

Just curious, I didnt see any plastic pop out cover on the bumper...
Did/do you need to cut out the bumper for the mazda OEM hitches?

Another reason I went with etrailer Curt hitch was it was only $150 while the OEM was over $300 when I looked at them. For anyone considering price, thats a big difference.

Just curious, I didnt see any plastic pop out cover on the bumper...
Did/do you need to cut out the bumper for the mazda OEM hitches?
From what I've seen, Yes, you do need to cut the plastic bumper for the OEM Mazda hitch. There is no pop out cover on the bumper. There is another thread somewhere on this forum in which someone posted pictures of a horrendous hack job the installer (I believe at a Mazda dealer) did while cutting the bumper cover during an install of the OEM Mazda hitch.

FWIW, I also have the Etrailer 2" hitch and have not scrapped mine either in over a year.

Back in 2015 or 2016, I installed a Curt class 2, 1-1/4" hitch. Last summer I removed it to perform 'rust control' because the road salt took it's toll causing pitting and surface rust and I wanted to save the hitch from further deterioration. Upon inspection it was still plenty solid and could have gone a few more years . The black powder coat was peeling off in big pieces or just gone. After seeing that, I'd recommend coating a new hitch with something more durable before installation.
Removal was easy for one person once the muffler was removed (I did the same when I installed it). Also when I originally installed it, I double nutted the bolts to cover exposed threads, so the nuts easily came off the mounting bolts. After rust removal, primer and paint the double nuts went back on and then painted over. Also replaced the muffler flange gasket before reinstallation since it was crumbling. Just my experience.

20200819_153422.jpg
20200820_122314.jpg
20200820_122317.jpg
20200820_122700.jpg
20200820_122704.jpg
20201110_150342.jpg
20210124_125125.jpg
20210124_125226.jpg
20210124_125222.jpg

Yes, it is more expensive, and you have to cut the bumper.
It does brings a diagram to do the cut out

In the my cobalt I do have the Draw-tite. It was easy to install and really good to take the bikes.

Last edited:
Its now $162 for the etrailer matte black with hardware. Its really a Curt hitch branded for etrailer.

I also went with the etrailer hitch for my CX. I installed it myself, but it would have been WAY easier with another set of hands.

If doing this job, be wary of the sharp edges of the exhaust heat shields. Those edges are like razor blades and will cut the crap out of your hands. Ask me how I know.

Last edited:
I u
I also went with the etrailer hitch for my CX. I installed it myself, but it would have been WAY easier with another set of hands.

If doing this job, be wary of the sharp edges of the exhaust heat shields. Those edges are like razor blades and will cut the crap out of your hands. Ask me how I know.
I used a car jack when I did it on my cobalt. It worked perfectly lol

Back