What's the transmission fluid change interval on a Mazda CX-5?

adrienne224

:
Mazda CX-
I own a 2013 Mazda CX-5 with 49,000 miles. Whan does the factory recommend to get the transmission fluid changed? What kind of fluid is recommended?

Last edited:
Mazda has no service interval on the automatic transmission. If you do change it you must use Mazda OEM fluid. If I was going to keep my Mazda past 100,000 miles, that I would change it at 50,000 miles Ed

Totally agree with erhayes. At 49,000 miles its about time to do it. Make sure to use Mazda Genuine ATF FZ as you can only drain-and-fill about half of the old fluid from transmission. You can get Mazda ATF from our sponsor showed above, any online sources, or from your Mazda dealer.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the ATX Skyactive transmissions are sealed and aren't a simple project to replace the fluid because you have to drop the pan.

I've had several stealerships tell me technically it should be done at 100k miles, and I've had a couple say Mazda never specifically says when (or if you ever should) change it - I find the latter hard to believe though.

I'm at 100k miles on my 6 and plan on having the dealer do mine very soon because I don't have the tools, talent or time to properly do it myself.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the ATX Skyactive transmissions are sealed and aren't a simple project to replace the fluid because you have to drop the pan.

I've had several stealerships tell me technically it should be done at 100k miles, and I've had a couple say Mazda never specifically says when (or if you ever should) change it - I find the latter hard to believe though.

I'm at 100k miles on my 6 and plan on having the dealer do mine very soon because I don't have the tools, talent or time to properly do it myself.
If I were you I would be very hesitate to do the first drain-and-fill on my 100K-mile SkyActiv-Drive transmission. Leaving it alone may be a better way to go. Whatever the Mazda dealer told you to change ATF at 100K miles is totally irresponsible on their part.

SkyActiv-Drive auto tranny does have a drain hole and dipstick so that you can easily do ATF drain-and-fill. Taking the ATF pan down only for replacing the ATF filter cartridge but remember theres no gasket for it which some DIYers hate.

ATF Drain/Fill

If I were you I would be very hesitate to do the first drain-and-fill on my 100K-mile SkyActiv-Drive transmission. Leaving it alone may be a better way to go. Whatever the Mazda dealer told you to change ATF at 100K miles is totally irresponsible on their part.

SkyActiv-Drive auto tranny does have a drain hole and dipstick so that you can easily do ATF drain-and-fill. Taking the ATF pan down only for replacing the ATF filter cartridge but remember there’s no gasket for it which some DIYers hate.

[irresponsiblURL="https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123838434-ATF-Drain-Fill&p=6271693&viewfull=1#post6271693"]ATF Drain/Fill[/URL]

Exactly why I haven't done it yet. I was originally planning on doing it around 75k but even checking the full workshop manual doesn't specify how to change the ATX, only MTX.

Also - My fault for assuming the Cx5 setup was the same as the 6 - the Skyactive 6 doesn't have a drain plug from what I've seen/checked/read.

Sorry for thread-jacking OP - If you've got an easy way to change it out, these guys are absolutely right that 50k is when to do it.

⋯ Also - My fault for assuming the Cx5 setup was the same as the 6 - the Skyactive 6 doesn't have a drain plug from what I've seen/checked/read.
What MY is your Mazda6? If your Mazda6 is in SkyActiv platform, your transmission is exactly the same as CX-5. And it has drain hole on ATF pan.

Reading between the lines on some of the threads I've read where owners have changed their own fluid at 30-40k miles, these folks often comment that the drained fluid looked practically brand new and they questioned if it was even worth the effort. Maybe Mazda does know their own products after all!

Reading between the lines on some of the threads I've read where owners have changed their own fluid at 30-40k miles, these folks often comment that the drained fluid looked practically brand new and they questioned if it was even worth the effort. Maybe Mazda does know their own products after all!
I agree doing ATF drain-and-fill At 30 ~ 40K miles is too soon and Id do it around 50K, and still leaves 10K-mile room for my powertrain warranty.

On the contrary the ATF drained from SkyActiv-Drive transmission Ive seen is mostly darker or dirtier like this video shown:

This's my favorite video for changing ATF and filter on a CX-5 by removing the fluid pan:

This Japanese CX-5 has only 13,121 km / 8,153 miles. This guy put 5 magnetics outside the fluid pan in addition to one stock magnet sitting inside. As you can see there're lots of metal shavings attached to those magnet areas once the fluid pan got removed! This makes me having an urge to remove and clean the pan on my CX-5 right away! I also noticed that the threaded ATF drain hole is reinforced to accept the threaded bolt of the drain plug. Hence the inside of drain hole is not flush with the pan and that tiny "wall" will make some ATF left in the pan even if you keep the vehicle level. Also the part number for Mazda ATF filter is FZ01-21-500 and the funny thing is the stock filter he removed is made in USA!

This guy used "ThreeBond 1207C Liquid Gasket Reddish Brown" to form the new gasket for the fluid pan. And the spec sheet he used indicates:

SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission has 4 models:

FW6A-EL for SkyActiv-G FWD and FW6AX-EL for SkyActiv-G AWD.
- Total ATF capacity is 7.8L / 8.24 US quarts.
- Drain-and-fill estimate including filter replacement: 3.5~4.9L / 3.7~5.18 US Quarts.

GW6A-EL for SkyActiv-D FWD and GW6AX-EL for SkyActiv-D AWD.
- Total ATF capacity is 8.0L / 8.45 US quarts.
- Drain-and-fill estimate including filter replacement: 3.5~4.9L / 3.7~5.18 US Quarts.

The guy refilled with 4.2L / 4,200 cc / 4.44 US Quarts Mazda Genuine ATF FZ during the first drain-and-fill with pan removal and filter replacement. The second simple drain-and-fill he used 3.57L / 3.77 US Quarts fresh ATF FZ. He claimed by doing this drain-and-fill diluting method twice with filter change at first drain, at least 70% of old ATF would get replaced. He also suggested ATF does need to be changed and the change should be made in a clean and dry environment. Finally, he compared ATF after first drain-and-fill and second drain-and-fill, to fresh ATF. You'll be the judge if we need to change the ATF or not!

Notice that how the guy simply drove up to 4 pieces of 6X6 wood to raise the height of the CX-5 easily and safely in level!

Yeah, they do sell Mazda Genuine ATF FZ in large 10-liter / 2.5-gallon metal bucket container in Japan! :)

I agree doing ATF drain-and-fill At 30 ~ 40K miles is too soon and Id do it around 50K, and still leaves 10K-mile room for my powertrain warranty.

On the contrary the ATF drained from SkyActiv-Drive transmission Ive seen is mostly darker or dirtier like this video shown:

Which kinda' begs the question: Just how many SkyActiv ATs have you seen drained?(scratch)

Last edited:
I remember when I d/f'd mine around 35k or something it was also dark brown almost black.

Which kinda' begs the question: Just how many SkyActiv ATs have you seen drained?(scratch)
In the video the guy showed ATF drained with 8,153 mile at 8:32 mark. He then compared the ATF from the 1st drain showed to the left; the ATF from the 2nd drain to the middle (he did drain-and-fill twice); and the fresh Mazda Genuine ATF FZ to the right. And I havent mentioned all the sludges he found on the oil pan at 2:28 mark. ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 217512View attachment 217513

Never, ever do a drain and fill to your transmission, and especially not at 60+k! You will very likely cause transmission problems.

The only correct way is to drop the pan so you can replace the cartridge (filter).

Last edited by a moderator:
Never, ever do a drain and fill to your transmission, and especially not at 60+k! You will very likely cause transmission problems.

The only correct way is to drop the pan so you can replace the cartridge (filter). Use Redline ATF fluid.

Molestor, please stop molesting this forum with your unsubstantiated BS.

The only correct way is to drop the pan so you can replace the cartridge (filter). Use Redline ATF fluid.

Redline does not make a suitable ATF for this trans (per their web site). You know, a little less shooting from the hip and a little more fact-checking might make you seem a little less like a forum troll!

What difference between drain-and-fill and dropping the pan? You still cant get about a half of the old ATF out. The only benefit is you can replace the filter cartridge but youre running the risk of leaks without pan gasket if youre not careful. Even Mazda Service Manual has ATF drain-and-fill procedure outlined there.

Youre welcome to mix half-and-half Redline ATF which may not be compatible with Mazda ATF FZ on your ATF change, but thiss definitely an ill advice to others!

I usually let the dealer take care of it for $120.
They told me they use a suction device to get more fluid out. (I posted the receipt in another thread)
They have a kit for gasket, filters, etc. that they use to replace old ones and clean the magnets at bottom as well.
This was with my '08 CX9 that had Aisin transmission (used by Lexus). I did that every 30K.

No ATF change with my '14 Mazda3 yet. It has only 23K miles...
The other two are even newer.

I remember when I d/f'd mine around 35k or something it was also dark brown almost black.
Your driving style is a little more spirited, it's a little harder on most trans fluids. Might have something to do with it.

Back