What should I expect if I get a 9?

LordJezo

I guess I am new here, but apparently I joined this forum 3 and a half years ago. I wonder why, I can't recall what I was doing in 2007 that had me signing up for this site. But anyway, here's the question(s)..

Recently I decided to get a Subaru Outback 2011 and began what I am doing here now, posting on owners forum to get a feel for what the actual owners thought and what to expect in getting the car. From doing that I discovered that the '10 and '11 Outbacks have a manufacturing defect in that a certain, albeit small, percentage experience shaking at highway speeds. Subaru is aware of it, have tried fixing it, but so far nothing has worked. Dealers even know about it, if you order a car and it shakes you don't even need to accept it. Sure it is not all of the cars but I don't want to risk a widespread issue on a $30k+ car.

So, the CX-9 has now taken over as our vehicle of choice. If we go for it we'll be getting a Touring model, AWD, with leather. Anything else depends on the deal. How hard are these cars to work on? I am not talking about major work but simple things like oil and filter changes. On the Chevy I looked at the battery was buried somewhere under electrical boxes and then other parts of it were in the trunk. "How will I change it?" I asked the dealer. "Well it's under warranty, you wont have to for 36,000 miles." That's not the answer I want. With an '03 with 220,000 miles on it I do quite a bit of driving and want to be able to preform minor stuff myself, not be locked out due to some crazy designs under the hood.

With the CX-9 what problems can I expect? I know all cars have the potential to come as a lemon but is there a common issue that could be expected right off the lot or is it just random?

Everything about the 9 matches what we want. The price, the ride and feel, the room inside, I just want to make sure I am not buying into something that could turn into a 30 grand headache.

My mirrors don't vibrate but I guess some people have that problem. I have a creaking noise some times when turning and simultaneously going over a bump. Apparently I just need to grease the bump stops. Another minor annoyance with the tan leather is that dark blue jeans will transfer color on to the seats.

Overall I think most of the issues are minor. I know a couple people had transfer cases fail but that is not common.

;)The only problem i have with mine is when i walk to my car,there someone staring inside my window. You will get that alot. Enjoy the attention.

Watch out entering drivers seat. You will get a knot on your noggin and learn to duck down.

Get used to adjusting your mirror after every use of the Homelink.

Other than that you will love the 9...zoomzoom!

Don't stress the gasp cap tether.

The CX9 is the easiest car I've owned for changing the oil. Other maintenance is also very easy.

Adding accessory circuits is also easy, thanks to dual easy access fuse block main terminals.

It's also the most fun I've had driving.

Is buying the car painless? What do people normally pay for the vehicle based on invoice? Will Mazda negotiate? Any tips to buying one like a secret dealer holdback they get on sales or other ways to get the price down? Financing isn't much of a concern so I am not worried about that, just don't want to get ripped off.

Will most likely get a Touring AWD with the leather and moonroof.

Research what buyers are paying in your area on www.truecar.com. You can also check prices through sites like cars.com and autotrader.com.

When I bought ours last month, I first found the car listed on autotrader.com. Then I went into the dealer, told them I wanted that online price and the 0% financing, the trade-in amount I wanted for my 04 CRV, and how much I would be putting down. It took about 2.5 hours, but they eventually gave it to me. Painless? As long as you stick to your guns and are calm and patient, I guess it is painless.

The only thing I would watch for is the hard-sell for the extended warranty. The finance guy is the person who laid that on me. He was pretty relentless!

Usually whenever the finance guy tries to sell me ext warranty by scare tactics, I would ask him,
"Are you saying this vehicle is very unreliable? Wow, maybe I should reconsider my purchase here ...."
He usually stops doing that.

I used www.edmunds.com to determine what people were paying. It works even with options. Your best bet is to get a competing dealer to give you a quote. I was able to get my CX9 for invoice. Edmunds also tells you what incentives are available. Mazda dealers get $1k marketing support from Mazda, but it's not available if you do the 0% financing. Some dealers were offering about $500 of that so you could get the car for $500 under invoice.

My financing was through Chase instead of Mazda, but still 0% for 60 months, so they may have been able to get the full $1,000. I can't fathom why Chase would offer that though.

The purchasing experience was pretty painless, agreed on pricing by phone and email, they found the car I wanted with the color and options, I went to see it and was out of the dealer in 2 hours.

One tip is never take the first offer from the finance guy on the extended warranty...they will always come down when you say no. I wouldn't buy one from the dealer anyway...much cheaper elsewhere.

Pretty positive responses so far. Forums can be cesspools of negativity, usually its the people that hate things that come online to complain. Seeing that outside of the normal issues people have with their cars there are not many angry posters about buying what they perceive to be piece of garbage.

I have seen some posts on here about extended warranties and how some people who bought them from the dealer ended up with 3rd party items.

Where do all the people "in the know" get their warranties from? If you get a 3rd party one do the Mazda dealers honor it or do you go to other places? Is there an official one that would be through Mazda?

On a couple other things, the backup camera, when we looked at it and tried it out on the lot it seemed pretty... eh. Wasn't as clear as some of the other companies and had no guiding lines or markers. Are there after market ones that work better? How impossible are they to install?

The only other two options I would consider are the dimming mirror, again go with $200 dealer model or aftermarket, and the theft alarm. I am surprised that doesn't come default in the vehicle.

I've found it to work pretty well and is pretty clear, did you check to make sure the lens was clean? Sometimes grub will get on it and make it "less clear"

On a couple other things, the backup camera, when we looked at it and tried it out on the lot it seemed pretty... eh. Wasn't as clear as some of the other companies and had no guiding lines or markers. Are there after market ones that work better? How impossible are they to install?

The only other two options I would consider are the dimming mirror, again go with $200 dealer model or aftermarket, and the theft alarm. I am surprised that doesn't come default in the vehicle.

The backup camera in the GT model with Nav does have guiding lines as well as the upgraded mirror with homelink etc and a theft alarm.

Older models' backup camera has no guiding lines/graphics on the screen.
No aftermarket ones can give you guiding lines since they don't take steering angel as input.

The auto-dimming/HomeLink mirror is from a 3rd party source. They are one of the so called "port installed" accessories. i.e. These accessories are either installed at the port (of entry to USA) or dealerships. Those things do not get installed at the Mazda factory in Hiroshima. The part is originally from Gentex. Mazda gives you the specific adapter kit to fit CX9 perfectly.
see www.gentex.com.
For example, if your CX9 has rain-sensing capability, you need an adapter box to fit at the root of the new mirror.

Coming from a 03 OBW 4cyl, I can definitely say that the CX9 gives you the zoom-zoom which the subie was sorely lacking. Handling is also superb but not quite as well as the subie. i say this because the OBW AWD is 90% front, 10% rear and 50%-50% when it detects slip. Mine had a rear diff so it performed very well in winter conditions. Not to say that the CX9 is lacking in anyway, it does perform well but differently from the subie. Going to the CX9 was a no-brainer since I needed the extra room.

The backup camera in the GT model with Nav does have guiding lines as well as the upgraded mirror with homelink etc and a theft alarm.

What about Touring sans navigation?

The part is originally from Gentex. Mazda gives you the specific adapter kit to fit CX9 perfectly.
see www.gentex.com.
For example, if your CX9 has rain-sensing capability, you need an adapter box to fit at the root of the new mirror.

Does that mean I could skip getting it at the dealer and be able to do it myself for cheaper?

Touring without nav has the backup camera display located in the rear view mirror. And really, I think that is good enough. All you should need it for is to help judge distance between the rear bumper and other cars/objects. It's not that hard to park otherwise, once you get a bit of practice.

Is buying the car painless? What do people normally pay for the vehicle based on invoice? Will Mazda negotiate? Any tips to buying one like a secret dealer holdback they get on sales or other ways to get the price down? Financing isn't much of a concern so I am not worried about that, just don't want to get ripped off.

Will most likely get a Touring AWD with the leather and moonroof.

I just purchased a 2010 CX-9 sport AWD.....the dealer took $4000.00 off the sticker and gave me $2000.00 more for my trade....so I would say U should be able to play around with $4K to $6K....all dealerships and deals are different so keep that in mind.,,,oh and the dealership never loses....lol (lol2)

Back