What is my engine doing to these poor spark plugs

:
Protege5
They are approx 12k miles old. I was getting a low RPM misfire in Cylinder 2 so I got a new coil pack and put new plugs in it. The plugs that came out sort of concern me. I don't know a whole ton about how they should look but I wouldn't expect them to be this beat up in only 12k miles. I guess my question is: Does the condition of those plugs indicate that something is wrong?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
seems like your running lean or you may have the wrong heat range for the car. the correct heat range is 5 for these cars on the ngk so a part number like this: BKR5EGP the 5 designates heat range, if your using a 5 step to a 6 and try that i recommend iridium plugs for better longevity and same or better spark than copper

Last edited:
I'm running the NGK ZFR5F-11 which I thought was recommended longer throw from the FAQ.

I guess i'm just surprised that this car eats plugs so much. I got SVT Contour that doesn't eat plugs nearly as much as this.

Thanks for the link BOOSTR those pictures are really helpful.

they are copper though, that is factory plug type but may not be what your car wants now that its 10+ years old. try stepping to the iridium ix ngk plugs and see, if not step to the 6 heat range

Those don't look too bad. The heat mark is about halfway up the electrode which is fine. The insulator looks good. I don't see a problem.

They're copper, better spark but only last 15-20k miles. If you want more go to platinum.

Being a little white or light tan is ok for a naturally aspirated car. If it was turbo then you could be concerned

Back