What have you done to your P5 today?

Well since everyone's posting their lovely cars here's my current ones. I just picked up and this silver that I drove 1000 miles up from CA to WA and it made the trip just fine with a trans and other heavy parts in the car. Manual trans with all options except rack and compass mirror.

BF0BDFE4-8F04-4C36-BE12-4E207DE7AE2D.jpeg

Blue one is the manual trans turbo swapped daily and parts runner. I saved it from being crushed and here it is today a few engines later (bought it with bad engine). Gets 29mpg freeway so I can't complain. Best part is the massive difference in torque compared to NA.

0E0B6194-411E-453C-B7EA-73ED585A3577.jpeg

Here was our last triptonic auto p5. Only mod was an eBay aluminum radiator and we loved it. Leather interior with abs and side airbags, spare tire sub, sunroof etc etc

BE6DD2AF-BAD5-4BBC-8A9B-CA926D4D77B1.jpeg

Great car but best left as a reliable daily. Some bolt ons I could understand like a nice CAI, axleback, etc. keep the auto as the car that runs and tinker with the other car(s) for fun.

Nah, not a waste at all..............if you want to feel lots of speed and power, something besides a protege would be better place to start. My car feels and drives much better than it did brand new and for what it is, it is great. Still getting 26-28 mpg at this point too.........
View attachment 315646View attachment 315647

View attachment 315648

20 years of owning it this year..........ooooo, cheap inspections starting next year, woohoo!

I dig the mods! I like the 505 air box and 1.8l coil pack setup under the cover. Always thought of doing that with my p5 and cover but I have accumulated so many of the stock style coils I just run them till they die. Since rebuilding the car as it sits though I havnt gone through any coils but you know how it goes, they eventually go with the heat. 1.8l swap is a good one for sure. Did you have to grind down the lips around the spark plug holes for the wires? Or used modified spark plug wire boots?

Here's my sneaky vac block setup that replaces the pcv on the intake manifold side and routes the pcv from the valve cover to a catch can. Deleted the engine bar charcoal canister and used that bracket for the catch can. All sits under the msp engine cover and hides it well.

B1392299-F3AD-437B-8D46-DAC8F18E3180.jpeg

EE5D7160-D651-4F7C-BD28-B97F676B3111.jpeg

IIRC, the boots are modded? Been a little minute....wait, this just in....I think I have the 626 valve cover that makes it OK? No, i have MSP vc, duh. Must have modded the boots but think I do have a 626 vc in my parts rack.

I need to get off my ass and install my Perrin fuel rail with fluid filled gauge on it. Been sittin on that project too long, lol. Nice to chat about moddin and such on these dinosaurs again. Got all kinds of little project things piled up to piddle with.....like glo-face gauge lighting and leds for cc panel

I need to get off my ass and install my Perrin fuel rail with fluid filled gauge on it. Been sittin on that project too long, lol. Nice to chat about moddin and such on these dinosaurs again. Got all kinds of little project things piled up to piddle with.....like glo-face gauge lighting and leds for cc panel
Dang it you're making me want to spend more money on my P5 now...

Mine is 03.5 so it has spare tire sub and roof racks....but have delete strips and the caps for the rails.

Well since everyone's posting their lovely cars here's my current ones. I just picked up and this silver that I drove 1000 miles up from CA to WA and it made the trip just fine with a trans and other heavy parts in the car. Manual trans with all options except rack and compass mirror.

View attachment 315673

Blue one is the manual trans turbo swapped daily and parts runner. I saved it from being crushed and here it is today a few engines later (bought it with bad engine). Gets 29mpg freeway so I can't complain. Best part is the massive difference in torque compared to NA.

View attachment 315676

Here was our last triptonic auto p5. Only mod was an eBay aluminum radiator and we loved it. Leather interior with abs and side airbags, spare tire sub, sunroof etc etc

View attachment 315675

Great car but best left as a reliable daily. Some bolt ons I could understand like a nice CAI, axleback, etc. keep the auto as the car that runs and tinker with the other car(s) for fun.
Oh, that's what the front looks like all silver. Mine was rockin the MP3 splitter when road debris turned the bumper primed with the yellow 03.5 lip it has now. Have another MP3 splitter in attic that I got before finding the MSP lip. Even converted some oem fogs to HID before the lip too...more attic ornaments. Have adapters for fogs with lip but just went deletes. Diggin the snail setup on the blue one.

Not a today post but a this month post but whatever.

Did 2 trips from WA to CA this month, went to Canada to pick up some msp parts and then did 2 deliveries to 2 buddies in Oregon who are turbo swapping their p5s. Both got turbo parts but one also scored a racingbeat catback I pulled recently.

Anyway, got to CA right after some flooding (very weird seeing water down there), paid for a p5 and met with my buddy who's also a protege enthusiast, drove back up, waited a few days for the weather and took an Amtrak down and drove the car back up. Here are some pics from the trips, maybe 2600 total driven miles in under 2 weeks.

5A644139-FDAD-46DC-A00B-60E3387730A9.jpeg

Met up with a very good buddy and the old owner of the car for lunch
9F9306FC-26C4-4758-B740-FE8EB907950E.jpeg

Rest stop life
B0EFF989-38E8-4F7B-A9D3-E2D561572BE3.jpeg

Photo at buddies house, there are 8 p5s in this photo, 3 in the back.
58116BC6-EDF9-4737-B4B7-5530EF0B8308.jpeg

5931B89B-26AB-42DD-89F1-56E395F399DD.jpeg

Floods almost got it before I was able to get back
C085FE57-CEB6-4A94-B7E6-DDBC5E2B8395.jpeg

Took the 20hr train down, pulled parts on the way up. Got an auto trans from a buddy and 200lb of extra parts in the car. Luckily it made the 750mile trip home just fine.
0ECB3CC1-B9F9-4B60-A293-9AEAEC77FAA1.jpeg

915167F4-DB47-400A-AA2F-C69712288B9E.jpeg

5E11A6EA-6BCF-4F83-8A75-FD3189983E9B.jpeg

Thanks for the preview shot of what mine could look like if I throw some 22V at my bumper and lip. Been awhile since seeing or hearing of 8 P5s in the same spot

Some throwback pics of.............

BBQ grill mesh grilles............
100_0346.JPG

MP3 splitter............very subtle
DSCN0002_03.JPG

way way back......UFO tails + shopping cart handle wing (YUK!)........
damage110906_01.jpg

not my plate any more so no worries

Airsofthawaii, those are some real good looking P5s! I am a little jealous.

Did 2 trips from WA to CA this month, went to Canada to pick up some msp parts and then did 2 deliveries to 2 buddies in Oregon who are turbo swapping their p5s. Both got turbo parts but one also scored a racingbeat catback I pulled recently.
Hmm, not sure how big the turbo P5 community is these days, but I'm in Oregon and I know at least one person locally who is currently building a turbo P5...wonder if one was on your delivery list.

way way back......UFO tails + shopping cart handle wing (YUK!)........
I have to agree with I see P5s with these wings...not into it personally

Replaced my front struts this last weekend. I had previously asked on here about what brand to go with, and ended up purchasing some ACDelco pre-assembled struts. They went in real quick, maybe 30 minutes per side. I think mostly because I had the knuckles already off the car this summer while doing the clutch, so the bolts were not seized.

I was hoping my terrible squeaky/creaky noise would be gone after replacing struts, and all of my other front suspension components this summer. But it's still there. The car drives about the same with the new struts but a little more compliant. My old struts were definitely still okay though.

Took the car to get aligned and they told me that the rear was just barely out of spec, probably because the rear struts are sagging a little. They also said the rear struts were probably causing the creaking and that most of the bushings in the rear were a little worn, so it looks like I'll be doing that in the next year or so.

The lip was made by AutoExe.
IIRC DG made a carbon fiber autoexe knock off that was pretty nice though. :)

Not a today post but a this month post but whatever.

Anyway, got to CA right after some flooding (very weird seeing water down there), paid for a p5 and met with my buddy who's also a protege enthusiast, drove back up, waited a few days for the weather and took an Amtrak down and drove the car back up. Here are some pics from the trips, maybe 2600 total driven miles in under 2 weeks.

View attachment 315702

Met up with a very good buddy and the old owner of the car for lunch
View attachment 315712

Rest stop life
View attachment 315703

Photo at buddies house, there are 8 p5s in this photo, 3 in the back.
View attachment 315704
View attachment 315705

Floods almost got it before I was able to get back
View attachment 315707

Took the 20hr train down, pulled parts on the way up. Got an auto trans from a buddy and 200lb of extra parts in the car. Luckily it made the 750mile trip home just fine.
View attachment 315708
View attachment 315713
View attachment 315709
SO MANY P5s!!! LOVE IT. You guys kept your P5s in excellent condition!

Airsofthawaii, those are some real good looking P5s! I am a little jealous.

Hmm, not sure how big the turbo P5 community is these days, but I'm in Oregon and I know at least one person locally who is currently building a turbo P5...wonder if one was on your delivery list.

I have to agree with I see P5s with these wings...not into it personally

To my knowledge there are 3 dudes turbo swapping p5s in Oregon and I've supplied parts to all of them. A yellow p5, red and midnight blue p5. Plus I got a buddy who's assembling a built block I sold him to get his msp back up on the road. I told all these guys come up to Washington when the weather gets better for a meet. We were thinking of Mazda takeover in Idaho but we'll see,

SO MANY P5s!!! LOVE IT. You guys kept your P5s in excellent condition!

Thank you! To be fair, my blue one was bought with faded paint and a blown engine ready to be crushed. Saw the bones were there any got it back up and turbo swapped before I moved away and a buddy helped me get the car painted and on a boat. It's a good little car, I'd just like to put as many miles on it as I can.

Edit: Also another factor of the cars lasting this long would be the weather is the west coast gets. I was baffled at the exterior condition of the cars in junkyards here compared to Hawaii where there's salt and sun. The goal now is to keep as many on the road as possible if the bodies are in good condition.

To my knowledge there are 3 dudes turbo swapping p5s in Oregon and I've supplied parts to all of them. A yellow p5, red and midnight blue p5. Plus I got a buddy who's assembling a built block I sold him to get his msp back up on the road. I told all these guys come up to Washington when the weather gets better for a meet. We were thinking of Mazda takeover in Idaho but we'll see,
Gotcha. There's a guy local to me who's doing a turbo swap on his yellow P5. Maybe him, maybe not. His P5 has a cool history though and he's doing some pretty cool stuff with it.

PXL_20210808_011914907.jpg

Speaking of putting a car out to pasture,..

My car is looking for a good home for retirement.

View attachment 315419

I quit driving on June 3rd and my car has been sitting in the driveway ever since.
I want it gone.

I am willing to give the car away for free to someone that will promise to take good care of it and post pictures of what you have done with it.

My car is a rusty turd on the outside, but My Engine Does Not Burn Oil !!!

It in fact,.. Pollutes Less Than A New Car !!!

I don't have an engine hoist to pull the engine to sell it, so you would have to come and get it from south western Ontario.

It can be easily towed with a car dolly and doesn't need a flatbed.
My ownership will be included and signed off as a gift.

My wiring harness was compromised and my car no longer starts, but I have a replacement harness from my parts car.

I will include an extremely rare Wagner Exhaust, and West Wings spoiler that are not available anywhere anymore.

View attachment 315420

After giving up driving, I have converted to electric bicycles.

View attachment 315421

I've had this ugly piece of crap for almost 10 years now.
I put new tires and tubes on it when it became my only means of transportation.

Then I bought this to explore my environment a few months ago,..

View attachment 315422

And now I have decided to pimp my ride and I'm doing a complete heart, lung, and brain transplant,..
I hope I get it back together and running?

View attachment 315423

I have a new interest now and just don't want to bother with my car anymore.
Well, that hit me in the feels. But I can appreciate where you're coming from. My P5 is more fun to drive than my Miata, and my regular, ol' commuter bicycle is more fun than either of them. Makes me feel like a kid every time I get on it. I also get sunshine (Vitamin D), exercise, spend no money on gas, put no emissions into the air, yada, yada. Hell, the last time I was pulled over by police, I was on my bike and I'd blown through a stop sign, something I never do in my car. Cops usually have a sense of humor if you're honest with them and you have a good story. I told them that the way I make riding my bike feasible instead of driving a gas-burning car is to haul ass (e.g. getting my ice cream or frozen pizzas home from the store before they defrost). They asked me if I'd feel the same way if I had to take a fine and I (truthfully) said yes. They let me go with a warning.

Reactions: pcb
Back