What have you done to your P5 today?

Did more work on the P5 since the weather is so good. I got a free beat-up bucket seat with side mounts so I welded-up a frame using a spare driver-side seat I had laying around.

The welds ain't pretty, but they're strong (I hope).

Seat installed!
Here's a shot of the dash :)

Nice and so much better doing weight savings that isn't related to rust, eh? haha

Put front end up on jack stands.. Removed steering knuckles (my mechanic friend calls them spindles?), pressed hubs and bearings out...
Removed lower control arms... pressed out bushings and ball joints... ran out of time. (lol)

(Note to self: Next time, just buy new control arms instead of being a cheapskate.)

I got a week or two until I can get access to the press again, so maybe I'll try cleaning up the rusty stuff in the meantime.

Depends on how much of a cheapskate you are being. I was thinking of doing the same but in the end just bought Duralast LCAs from AZ. $166 for the pair after 20% online and free shipping. :)

It's for fun every once in a while I need to go with a huge output install for 'shiggles'. But I need to get back to finishing off the final testing of a prototype, so I will be switching back out again soon. ;)

lol....shiggles.....I'm going to have to remember that one!

Nice and so much better doing weight savings that isn't related to rust, eh? haha

You have no idea! I didn't even think about the weight savings until you mentioned it, but it (including the frame) probably weighs a little more than half of what the stock seat weighs.

It is by no means comfortable, but you don't flop around when going through the twisties which makes me very happy.

Plasti-dipped my window trim this morning before work. Looks way better. Also watched as my CEL pop up on the way to work because of an exhaust leak from the j pipe/front pipe. I already know its from removing it to replace my old rusted oil pan. I'll get back up there and put new gaskets with some exhaust gasket sealer later tonight or tomorrow morning.

^Dipping my window trim is still one of my favorite mods to this day. My "off-black" vinyl was all scratched up where my car has been broken into before I owned it. This really cleaned up the look

Ok, I FINALLY graduate college in about 4 weeks, plus a few extra hours. I have started making a list of things that need to be done to the P5, like brakes, fluids, bearings, suspension, etc., BEFORE I start getting serious with mods. I am hoping to be in a new job by February so I can fund this growing project list.

My BIGGEST question is... what is a good, temporary fix to wheel arch herpes (rear passenger side to be specific) before I get it cut out and permanently fixed? Basically, I just need to get about 4 months out of it before the herpes spreads any further this winter.

Thinking I am going to call DIPYOURCAR now to get enough to do my roof and center section of my hood and maybe rear valence.

My BIGGEST question is... what is a good, temporary fix to wheel arch herpes (rear passenger side to be specific) before I get it cut out and permanently fixed? Basically, I just need to get about 4 months out of it before the herpes spreads any further this winter.

For only 4 months? Either do nothing or coat it in some oil/grease; there's a product called "Fluid Film" which would probably be useful for this application.

For only 4 months? Either do nothing or coat it in some oil/grease; there's a product called "Fluid Film" which would probably be useful for this application.

like cheese said you need to protect that metal to stop it from spreading. If possible remove the rear wheels and clean out the rear fender lip then pack it full of grease to stop any water/dirt from sitting there. Fluid film also works great I've been spraying it into my cars and under them for years and it does the same job as the expensive undercoating shops just takes a bit of your time to do it. Same time get the fluid film into the lower part of yours doors to protect that metal from rusting as well as the front strut towers.

as for my P5 she received some new goodies for next year.

IMG-20131119-00261_zpsf9907994.jpg

last thing to do this year is give her a good bath this weekend to clean off the dirt and tuck her away under the cover for the winter.

Since I have to always know our subwoofers better than anyone else, I had some fun and shoehorned our SSA Icon 18D2 into the P5. Bonkers output on modest power with super smooth sound. ;)

post-3-0-14694300-1382474178_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-31296400-1382474184_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-63573100-1382474197_thumb.jpg

I'm really late on this but wow! I'd love to hear that... what are you running it on? and how bad are the shakes? my 12s rattle my rear view senseless

like cheese said you need to protect that metal to stop it from spreading. If possible remove the rear wheels and clean out the rear fender lip then pack it full of grease to stop any water/dirt from sitting there. Fluid film also works great I've been spraying it into my cars and under them for years and it does the same job as the expensive undercoating shops just takes a bit of your time to do it. Same time get the fluid film into the lower part of yours doors to protect that metal from rusting as well as the front strut towers.

Thank you kindly! I will look into these soon. These NW Indiana roads are total s*** in the winter, as I am sure many of you can relate. I honestly think we have the largest road salt reserve in the western hemisphere.

Thank you kindly! I will look into these soon. These NW Indiana roads are total s*** in the winter, as I am sure many of you can relate. I honestly think we have the largest road salt reserve in the western hemisphere.

Protect that metal then fix it then you gots to put tires on those MSP wheels.

I'm really late on this but wow! I'd love to hear that... what are you running it on? and how bad are the shakes? my 12s rattle my rear view senseless

I have a ZED Audio Minotaur-II @4ohm mono. The vibrations are quite minimal as I have sound deadened the crap out of my car. Almost as quiet as my old Mercedes was. The only vibration issue on the P5 I have now, is the spoiler needs some expanding foam inside to quell the bass, then it should be good from the outside.

Protect that metal then fix it then you gots to put tires on those MSP wheels.

I will probably end up getting the tires before I get the rust fixed. I'm going to wait until the snow hits and see what sales pop up on summer tires. I'm looking at March-ish to get unrusted and fixed... if not sooner. Plus, I don't even know what that is going to cost or who to take it to around here. I know one shop that does paint relatively cheap (and good work), but I don't know about their metal work.

Your welcome. If I didn't get a white P5 I wanted a yellow one. Pardon the question but what front lip is that on your car?

Nice... love the shaved rear end... the word 'Donk' on there is confusing me... I thought that was when you lift the car like a 4x4 and put 30" rims on it...(boom07)

Back