What have you done to your P5 today?

Don't even tell me that, i really like how that chargespeed lip looks. :D

Next up is going to be springs/struts. Maybe later in the summer.

Had to get a tow...:(

2011-05-15160201.jpg

Because...

Went junkyarding with Evan, and like he said, got the cruise cable I was after...but that was about the extent of my good luck. Started POURING on us as we were finishing up at the yard. Then on the way home, the car went ape s***.

We just made a turn from one highway to another, in 5th gear, and the car started spitting, sputtering, and falling on it's face. We DID hit a big ass hole in the road, but the problems didn't start immediately after the hole for us to say "Yup, that's what cause it". It was a little ways after it. Tried to downshift, but I could not give the car any gas without it acting this way.

s*** got wierd after that. Coasted to the side of the highway, and came to a stop. The car idled FINE...at first. Then it'd spit, sputter, and stall once you tried to give it gas. After a short period of time, it wouldn't idle at all. It starts fine, just falls on it's face and stalls soon after. Once while we were waiting for the tow, it idled fine again, but now it doesn't even stay running.

CEL came on once, and luckily I had the scanner in the car. Said P0340 (i think), camshaft position sensor blah blah blah. So we're like..."Alright, cool. I have the spare one at home. We'll switch it out and be back on the road" Of course it couldn't be that easy...so we're baffled at what it could be. My neighbor suggested pulling the fuel pump out and checking the screen/filter thing-a-magig, so I'm going to get that done asap. Other than that, who knows. At least I have a car to drive still...

I would check all fuses in fuse box. Its definitely possible a relay or fuse got loose. Happened to me twice this year after hitting pot hole, my car dies out only to find the fuel pump relay came loose in the fuse box. But with the code for cam sensor, I would check timing. Just remove the upper timing cover and check timing belt tension. Its also possible for the tension spring to pop loose after a massive pot hole if it wasn't installed properly.

Damn Josh, sorry to hear and hope it's a quick fix for ya!

Thankfully mine is under cover during the current t-storm.

Bit of an update. I thought I was getting a set of ecstas buy ended up with a set of goodyear eagle gts for 586. The jumbos would've been $8 cheaper (special on the goodyears for 107 a tire). So far, I'm liking the tires nice and grippy. Just don't k ow about the 205 size. But hey, at least it wasn't falken.

I would check all fuses in fuse box. Its definitely possible a relay or fuse got loose. Happened to me twice this year after hitting pot hole, my car dies out only to find the fuel pump relay came loose in the fuse box. But with the code for cam sensor, I would check timing. Just remove the upper timing cover and check timing belt tension. Its also possible for the tension spring to pop loose after a massive pot hole if it wasn't installed properly.

Damn Josh, sorry to hear and hope it's a quick fix for ya!

Thankfully mine is under cover during the current t-storm.

yea, i would check the timing. My car jumped timing and just died while I was driving. Same code came up

Thanks guys. I'll check the spring...(we checked the fuses on the highway, seemed to be none popped out)

I have a forcefed valve cover with the cam gear cutout, so I can reach in with my finger and feel the belt tension. It felt alright...but I'd like to roll the motor around and check my marks to be sure.

If it did jump timing, what's the process for that fix? Taking all that crap apart again and physically moving the belt/cams/crank to where they need to be? If so...FML.

The thing that's confusing us though, is it idled completely normal after the initial occurance, I just couldn't give it any gas without the car acting up and stalling. To me, if the timing was off, it wouldn't have even idled period, let alone normally.

We're thinking it's a fuel delivery issue, or otherwise in the fuel system.

Did the door chime mod in about 10-15 minutes. Probably the best mod since I purchased it a year ago. The car is that much more enjoyable now :)

The thing that's confusing us though, is it idled completely normal after the initial occurance, I just couldn't give it any gas without the car acting up and stalling. To me, if the timing was off, it wouldn't have even idled period, let alone normally.

We're thinking it's a fuel delivery issue, or otherwise in the fuel system.
Maybe check the air flow sensor?

Update!

Boy O Boy...Things just keep getting more and more interesting...

I checked the timing after work today, and it was right where it needed to be. Before digging into the fuel pump situation, I decided to try and start the car for s***'s and giggle's.

THE CAR STARTED AND RAN COMPLETLY NORMAL!!!???

I was like....'Alright, it idled fine on the side of the highway....surely it's going to die once I push the gas', but alas, it stayed running! On that first fireup, I revved it to 3000K, and for a split second it burped/sputtered, but that was the only time. I let it run for over 10 minutes, both idling and revving it, and it was as normal as it's been for the past 2 weeks.

As excited as I was to find the problem gone, I'm equally as nervous about it coming back and leaving me stranded on the side of the road again. If it can go away that easily, it can come back just as easily ya know? The only thing I can think to check, is the fuel pump situation though, so I'm going to do that before I start driving it again. Other than that, I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that this doesn't happen again. I still can't explain the P0340 though...so who knows on that one.

Finally got around to putting in the second rad fan. The relay harness with the temp control didn't work out, so I wired it straight to the relay, then to the switch in the cabin.

Back