What have you done to your P5 today?

Finally gotten around to installing the EDM fold flat passenger seat I got from Germany weeks ago.

It started raining as I was putting it in, then the hail came after I pulled the car back in the garage. The struggle is real!

Attachments

• 5CD7601E-D425-4510-A4C3-03626A10CC87.jpeg
    5CD7601E-D425-4510-A4C3-03626A10CC87.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
It's the tiny little alternator pulley with only a tiny bit of belt rolling over the pulley that is most likely squealing.

So about that belt squeal... I have replacement belts ready to install, but the ones on the engine look to be in very good condition. I attempted to tighten the alternator belt, but I am still getting a squeal (Pacific Northwest cold/wet weather) - seems to be bringing it on.

Is this a "replace with fresh belts" situation or is it something else?

Last edited:
So about that belt squeal... I have replacement belts ready to install, but the ones on the engine look to be in very good condition. I attempted to tighten the alternator belt, but I am still getting a squeal (Pacific Northwest cold/wet weather) - seems to be bringing it on.

Mine are newer and in great condition. I only get the squeal on startup *IF* I have a high load on the alt, (lights, defrost on high, rear defrost) I just rev up to about 3k for a few seconds and it catches. won't do it again for the whole drive. I had the same experience on my kia spectra with the same setup (IIRC it's engine is related somehow to our FS engine) the squeal was from the power steering though and was related to the belt being new, adjusting the tension every few weeks helped.

New belts can help but if a belt squeals for just a few seconds, it can become glazed and become slippery.

Cambelt/water pump changed on the weekend, looks like the PO did the belt but not the tensioners or the water pump, the static roller had a nice wobble to it and the water pump was a bit sticky so it's good to get those replaced. Cam seals looked fine so I didn't touch them

Annual inspection today as well, passed with flying colours with just an advisory to change the front control arm bushes at some point and keep an eye on the oil pressure sensor as it's weeping oil

This car is going remarkably well for 300,000kms and over 20 years!

Reactions: pcb
New belts can help but if a belt squeals for just a few seconds, it can become glazed and become slippery.
Agreed - mainly probing on your alternator pulley statement. I ended up laying a little of my spare snowboard wax on the belts which was a great temp fix. Then I was able to tighten the alternator belt more and looks like that solved it.

,.. keep an eye on the oil pressure sensor as it's weeping oil.

Make sure that it's the oil pressure sensor and not the knock sensor located right beside it.
There is some kind of rubber in the knock sensor that turns to goo and runs out of the sensor and it looks like the sensor is leaking oil.

The knock sensor is threaded into the block but the threaded hole doesn't go all the way into the engine.

Last edited:
Finally gotten around to installing the EDM fold flat passenger seat I got from Germany weeks ago.

It started raining as I was putting it in, then the hail came after I pulled the car back in the garage. The struggle is real!
That is cool. I like how the seat is cut out to go around the raised arm rest console. Mine has different fabric on the lid. Where is yours from?

Attachments

• 20161120_183403.jpg
    20161120_183403.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 84
Took a pic of the rice box lol. planning on the dash removal to fix the firewall leak that seems to come and go. We got an absolute DOWNPOUR the day before this pic and there was not a drop of water in the RH floor. other times it's over a cup of water 🤔

Attachments

• 20220330_173558.jpg
    20220330_173558.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 91
that's what I am thinking about but dash removal isn't unfamiliar to me. Did it on my expedition for a heater core then was back in it again on a F-150 for his heater core. Prob gonna take a week off work and use that as a chance to clean the whole interior 😂 carpet up to the headliner full detail, gobs of seam sealer where I can put it, then re assemble.

have you seen any of the products that they drill a few small holes and get the cavities with? eric at south main auto on youtube made a few videos about it.

have you seen any of the products that they drill a few small holes and get the cavities with? eric at south main auto on youtube made a few videos about it.

Yes, I go to Krown rust proofing where they drilled holes.
I first went there the day I bought my car. Unfortunately, my car was pretty rusty by the time I bought my car, but my car would have been lost to rust years ago if I hadn't gone in for a yearly spray.
It takes them almost an hour to spray my car and the other places (that don't drill holes) are done in ten minutes.

Last edited:
I'm more than a little excited for this air horn installation. I absolutely HATE the stock Protege horns and with a pair of Proteges, it made sense to get two horns. I'm embarassed to admit that I've purchased probably 5 sets of the classic Hella air trumpet horns in the last 30yrs of playing with VWs and Mazdas and in EVERY situation, they wear out and stop working. But I finally found a simple solution - the Wolo compact air horn. Most YT videos show this being installed on motorcycles.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Here's a YT of how it sounds - Wolo bad Boy air horn

It turns out the space in front of the core support is pretty damn tight, so I put this in the engine bay under the airbox and figured out how to re-use the stock horn mount and an existing threaded hole.

Wolo compact air horn by Diamond _Dave, on Flickr

The only thing I needed to do was create a 12" ground wire and lengthen the horn trigger wire by about 36". The upper Left corner picture shows red dots where you need to use a lever to pry the grill for removal. Technically the install was on my MSP, but the P5 gets it next. I didn't use the relay this time.

HIGHLY recommend this horn. Really love the sound.

Looks like i need to replace both lower control arms on my MSP. Any preferred option here or just get whatever Rockauto has?

Also have a noticeable exhaust leak from somewhere near the turbo or manifold. I'm a little afraid this will slippery slope into full Pope + 3" turbo back exhaust.

Also have a noticeable exhaust leak from somewhere near the turbo or manifold. I'm a little afraid this will slippery slope into full Pope + 3" turbo back exhaust.
I would check and make sure you're not missing exhaust manifold bolts first. that's almost a free fix lol

Fixed the ac drain leak for now. I believe that was the culprit for the random water in the floor. as the temps have come up over the last couple months and the rain quit coming every other day., I started noticing the water pooling randomly even without rain. found the ac drain leaking. I left a bolt loose or it worked loose allowing the plenum to come back off of the firewall. maybe we will get some rain this week and I can FINALLY put the carpet back down on the RH floor. 😂

Back