What have you done to your P5 today?

Got a flat on new years eve
6be3e7168ffa238e75907739311ed419.jpg

4519cc5d41de147421e9f40569901638.jpg

And took off the roof tank

a2150e4e01b7509bc35462e062fb6b97.jpg

Broke down and replaced my failing battery. Wouldn't hold charge for more than a couple of days. Kept having to use charger to get it going. Well low and behold, the damn thing had 9/10 sticker on it. No wonder it was failing. Got my money's worth out of that one. That is why I keep going with Wallyworld Everstart Maxx batteries. Great price and warranty and mostly they last and do their job.

But your airbag looks like it's getting a little ashy. Mine is too, haven't been able to find something that works yet.
Tried out some armor all black trim restorer stuff on my airbag and it did a very good job. No more weird ashy stuff, looks new again.

e32d20a8-9119-4b5b-af1e-faeb275fbbfb_1.8adb4a735db73610af7a37da97d0d064.jpeg

I've been running a Costco Kirkland battery since 2010. I never even thought about it. Still running strong.
My battery may have lasted longer if I had been driving the car more often. I'm sure the charge it, drive it, park it, wait a week or month then repeat was not good for it........

Rolled to work in P5 to work for a change from the truck. Suction cup mount for cell/gps/go pro not near as solid as mounting in truck but can use the accessories in other vehicles tho.

To be fair, most people don't have P5s for weekend/fun cars; they are DDs. I was considering getting another one for a daily but after having two modded MSPs and a 12 sec Mustang, I think a P5 would feel too slow.

Yep, mine piled up miles until it got modded and driving it became survival of road debris and potholes and such. Weather was another thing where when it floods I'd be stuck vs. rollin on thru in the truck. The truck is just much more carefree to drive as far as trash in the road, not being trapped to pavement only for traffic jams if need be and being able to ford some stuff that'd be coming in the doors of the P5. This is actually the first time I have driven it to work 2 days in a row in a long long time. It does get more play when gas is anywhere near 3 & 4 dollasrs a gallon tho.

Last edited:
To be fair, most people don't have P5s for weekend/fun cars; they are DDs. I was considering getting another one for a daily but after having two modded MSPs and a 12 sec Mustang, I think a P5 would feel too slow.

can do a mildly boosted p5 with some suspension goodies. im sure it's cake for you to do a setup like that.

can do a mildly boosted p5 with some suspension goodies. im sure it's cake for you to do a setup like that.

I have every single part needed to turbo a Protege/P5 in my garage except for the MSP ECU. I have a turbo, stock SMIC/Rad, charge pipes, MBSP, oil feed line, oil cooler, coolant lines, oil drain, exhaust mani, S pipe. I have thought about it, but the newer speeds are getting so cheap these days. They are more comfortable and make so much power. On the other hand I have always been a fan of Mustangs so I may end up getting a Mach 1 or older Cobra. If I ever do get out of the protege game (probably won't ever sell my built car) I have a garage stuffed full of parts I would have to sell.

I have every single part needed to turbo a Protege/P5 in my garage except for the MSP ECU. I have a turbo, stock SMIC/Rad, charge pipes, MBSP, oil feed line, oil cooler, coolant lines, oil drain, exhaust mani, S pipe. I have thought about it, but the newer speeds are getting so cheap these days. They are more comfortable and make so much power. On the other hand I have always been a fan of Mustangs so I may end up getting a Mach 1 or older Cobra. If I ever do get out of the protege game (probably won't ever sell my built car) I have a garage stuffed full of parts I would have to sell.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123858875-Mazdaspeed-Protege-OEM-flashed-ECU

Back