What have you done to your MSP today?

^ what he said. might try cleaning the corrosion of the ect first, coolant corrodes the brass end of it pretty quickly. and to do a quality flush, if you decide to do so, get one of these, works awesome!!! (its called a spill-free funnel, in case the link gets killed)
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

What did I do today to my bucket... well today I "fixed" my bumper. Its not the best but it sure does beat missing a complete mouting tab!

20120824_110843.jpg

20120824_110731.jpg

slap a Band-Aid sticker on it!

Where's the ECT located?

Edit: NM, I see it. I'm guessing I need to flush the coolant to change the ect out?

Last edited:
^ what he said. might try cleaning the corrosion of the ect first, coolant corrodes the brass end of it pretty quickly. and to do a quality flush, if you decide to do so, get one of these, works awesome!!! (its called a spill-free funnel, in case the link gets killed)
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Those things rock and makes it easy to fill the system and get all the air out!

slap a Band-Aid sticker on it!

I thought about a sticker but not to sure if I want to do that or not. Im not to fond of the band-aid sticker myself but like the concept of covering up crap with it. lol

Where's the ECT located?

Edit: NM, I see it. I'm guessing I need to flush the coolant to change the ect out?

Where is it located?

it sure is a lot of radiator/coolant threads popping up lately.
Stealth, the ECT is on the right side of the engine if you are facing it. just follow the upper radiator hose where it goes into the side of the head. There is a gray connector that plugs into a brass fitting. That piece is the ECT.

Im actually leaning towards this being the issue with my car now since the ECT plays a big part in cold start up and fuel enrichment. Looking at symptoms of a bad ECT and I have had a few of the symptoms but never thought anything of it. But Im not going to do anything until I get any pending codes read. I have leaned towards all of the other sensors that I swapped with no success..lol. There would only be one sensor left to replace if I replaced the ECT I think

Last edited:
+1

You sir, are mad. The MSP's styling is timeless IMO. One of those cars.

Sorry to pull this back from the past but I just wanted to chime in. Whilst I had the MSP (from like 2007-2010) I was always asked "What year is that; 2007-2009?" and folks got taken back when I replied "2003." Trust me, getting rid of the MSP was one of the hardest decisions but I just needed reliability.

They say to replace the ECT gasket? I cant find any info on them. Do I really need an SST to take it out?

Last edited:
They say to replace the ECT gasket? I cant find any info on them. Do I really need an SST to take it out?

no its just a brass fitting, so when you put it back in just put Teflon tape on the threads. and no sst's required, just whatever size wrench is all u need. or an adjustable wrench, obviously.

Actually it's a water style fitting so you need a crush washer. Teflon tape is not a good idea. If you look closely at the old piece or the water neck on the side o the block the old crush washer is probably stuck to either one.

I abused mine out on the mountain with my brother in his DX w/MSP suspension.

554579_10151406382035550_959983073_n.jpg
TELL YOUR BROTHER TO SELL ME THE TRANSMISSION HE'S GOT!!! He just needs to keep the automatic in there.

So, the other MSP I'm looking at is #797 and I've not been able to locate any info from possible owners on all the Mazda forums. I've found where it was for sale in 2010 in Binghamtom, New York and nothing else until now. Luckily, before buying 1660, I was able to get in touch with TheDirtyGoatee on here and he gave me a lot of information on the car, so I'd like to do the same with this one. IF anyone knows or remembers of a member on here with 797, let me know.

TELL YOUR BROTHER TO SELL ME THE TRANSMISSION HE'S GOT!!! He just needs to keep the automatic in there.

Ain't gonna happen, lol.

Forgot to mention, found the limits of the new r-comps out on the mountain yesterday. Not overly impressed, a touch faster than the RS-2's. There has to be someway to get faster on the downhill. I'm thinking a clean strip out may be coming soon. I honestly don't think chassis bracing is going to make that big of a difference on the mountain, so I'm not gonna waste money on that. Got coilovers, got tires, got brakes... What else is there????

Maybe I should just buy a Miata...

Last edited:
me too, the car feels different with the upgraded rear suspension. and upgraded motormounts. can't wait for another event to push her even more.

Looked and sounded really good out there! I'm happy I made it all the way back home without a hitch. That's a mile stone! haha

I got a video of one of you xing. i'm uploading it right now. I'll pm you a link when it's done

Back