What have you done to your MSP today?

What's the purpose for having the j&s?
j&s is a knock monitor with a very sensitive microphone. it picks up detonation that is in audible. When it detects it the j&s immediately retards timing. here's a email from john @ j&s from a few years ago.

Ryan:

Yes, the RPM retard adds to the boost retard.

No problem if you don't need it. The standard Interceptor should be good.

A 300zxshop in LA tested it a couple weeks ago. They posted three short videos on you tube.

Runs one and two are at 18psi and 18 timing. They knew that was an aggressive tune, but they had never used headphones, so they didn't know there was inaudible knock with that tune.

Run three they lowered boost to 16.5 psi, and the unit retarded less, as expected.

Another run (not shown), they retarded timing three degrees in the ECU, which eliminated knock retard.

Here's the email from them:

Hi John

Got the harness in and finished up the rest of the install.
I figured out how the boost settings work as I was having retard with any boost pressures. I made repeated pulls and tweaking with the Safeguard, boost, and timing (ECU tuning). I also hooked up my noise canceling head phones while I did the runs. In the following runs (video), I have the sensitivity set to the middle. On Part 3 of the video all I did different than the Part 1 & 2 is lower the boost pressure by 1 to 1.5 psi. As you can see there is a difference! Wow, it works! My question is should I be hearing anything coming from the headphones? I can't hear much, on one pull I could hear something faint (volume is maxed). I also did lower timing values\boost to see if any knock was present. I lowered timing 3 degrees from where it was set in the video and the lights did not come on at all. Inaudible knock! I am very impressed. I can see how someone who doesn't know much about tuning or engines may have no idea on how to properly setup the unit where it can retard too much or little for that matter. Let me know what you think about the head phone (noise). I can safely say that sensitivity is probably in a good setting where retarding timing\boost slightly did in fact register no lights. When timing was increased back up a tad it picked up some knock again, even though I couldn't hear anything from the engine with or without the headphones. On the road testing it would actually change, most of the time no knock was present and on other runs it would pick up a minimal amount of knock. I would love to see the knock gauge incorporate the cylinder LEDs. That way I can see them at the same time. However that's not a big deal, just icing on the cake. BTW, I had max retard to 10 degrees.

Excellent job, I look forward to selling these and sharing the data with my partner Greg. If all works out I'd like to be your sole distributor in the Z market. When I get back from my vacation next week, I will make press on our site and forums. What I would like to do next is throw in some 100 octane and see what happens on the same settings.

http://www.youtube.com/user/specialtyz32?feature=mhum#p/a/u/2/NpoMhUUCDAA

http://www.youtube.com/user/specialtyz32?feature=mhum#p/a/u/1/BUSxkBuuU_0

http://www.youtube.com/user/specialtyz32?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/gfIc9k5NFlU

Seb
John

I had a buddy machine me one, for free, lol.

Picked the motor up from Jordan, and trying to get some other parts from him! I got my friend in touch with him and he bought a ton of stuff including his DG dash kit.

I am going to order two slimline (Style not necessarily brand) fans, it has a reg protege radiator in it so Im going to get two 12's. Anyone have any advice on a good cheap brand? I need something with pretty high CFM. I think I got my last ones from silicone intake or something.

Back