What have you done to your Miata today?

My Miata got a new roommate:

zLbNQL1.jpg

Which would look like this if I didn't have a bad cell phone camera.

pcnc_1100.jpg

Moved a buddy's 4-axis CNC mill into my garage, and we're starting a company around the mill and some IP he has developed. In more practical terms - easy access to a mill to make car parts on!

^^^^Whoa! Nice addition!

Weather pending, I'll give her a bath tomorrow since I'm off.

Monday I swapped out the stock horn for a Nautilus from Thompson. Yesterday I ordered her a new pair of shoes for winter. 15x6 MB Interlines wrapped in 195/55/15 General Altimax Artics. Got a good deal on them through Discount Tire Direct with instant savings ($90) and rebates ($130). The stock wheels will be going up for sale once I get them cleaned up.

I had a spark plug blow out yesterday on the way home from work . Should I pull the head and use a healacoil or is there another option. I plan on keeping the car long term and don't want a temporary fix.

I've never once, until today, heard of a spark plug blowing out from a Miata's head. Are you sure it wasn't simply not threaded properly, backed out then popped out? I'd at least check to see if it'll screw back in.

What engine is it? If it doesn't thread back in, the easiest / best thing to do is get another stock head. These engines are practically a dime a dozen, for the most part

Autoxed on Saturday and did some lapping on Sunday. Was quite the blast, will do some more next summer.

I checked out the cylinder with the blown out spark plug and it looked like there was only one damaged thread. So I took a chance and tried to thread the plug in by hand and it went right in. I checked the other plugs and 3 out of the 4 were loose. I just went and bought 4 new plugs and an inch/# torque wrench and torqued them all to the FSM spec. I took the car for a ride and everything seems ok.

Who loves you? :p

Yeah, it's not a common problem on these, so I figured the most likely culprit was procedural. Glad it didn't booger up the threads too badly.

Changed oil/filter, swapped out the wheels/tires for the Lightspeeds/Toyos, disconnected the breather line from the valve cover to the supercharger inlet and installed a K&N filter in its place. Also replaced the cruise control vacuum motor and connected it to the 'charger inlet spigot, I'll try it out the next time I drive it.

Today i swore at mine...a lot. It turns over, but doesnt start. No check engine light when the key is in the acc position, and the spark plugs are bone dry after attempting to start it. Replacing the main relay tomorrow, hopefully that is the culprit. Fingers crossed.

mine has been seriously negelected lately :(

been working 12-14 hour days for the last 2-3 weeks, worked last weekend and likely working this weekend too. temps arent helping cause when i leave work and come home its in the low 40s and dark and thats not really that fun to me. Still gotta figure out the misfire which happens at anything than what seems like 50% throttle but at this point, rebuilding the miata and then dealing with the DD going down, having to buy a new vehicle and all the bulls*** that came with selling my 3, im just kinda burnt out on cars... maybe ill just save up all winter and pay a reputable shop next year to get the miata running like it should be....

Neglected to drive mine today as well. Took the P5 back to the glass shop to fix the leaking windshield....the one they just replaced. Worked out well though since it's rainy and misearable out.

C'mon Levi don't let the cooler temps and darkness detour you. I've been driving the last couple of weeks with the top down in the morning. Of course I've been running the heat and *gasp* leaving the windows up! Something I swore I'd never do.

If it were running correctly with no misfire issue I would be driving it and loving life despite the temps, but I don't have the time to dig into the misfire more right now. I've been literally just working or sleeping the last several weeks...

Pulled the wideband O2 sensor and calibrated it, then put it back in where I used to run it. I had previously moved it just downstream of the header outlet for ease of access, but I'm not 100% sure that was a good location. Tested the cruise control but it still isn't working, so I'll have to dig into it to find out what the problem is.

After my last dive into the exhaust, I had some contact between the front flange on the Roadster Sport midpipe and the butterfly brace (evidenced by some vibration). Dropped the front of the brace down today and did a little clearancing between the two. Nothing like an angle grinder! Just got back from a short test drive and all is well.

Back