What have you done to your Miata today?

Ran around this morning for some wire (22 gauge in more than three colors is impossible to find, I ended up cutting up the old wiring harness to get what I needed), heat gun and other bits. Put some extensions on my gauge wires so they would reach under the dash, twisted/soldered the wires together and put heat shrink over the connections. Painted the bezel of the boost gauge to match the wideband gauge (decided to go with black), once that's dry I'll have both the gauges in. Just need to make the power connections. Got some info from a guy on MT.net last night concerning the relocation brackets, had to finally buy WinZip and got tired of waiting for them to send me my registration info so I took a look at the puzzle and put it together. I used the wear and corrosion marks on the brackets (and some common sense) and got it all in. I did have to cut some reliefs in the lower radiator support brackets, I just got done looking at the pictures the guy had sent and there were supposed to be two taper head Allen bolts for the one bracket which would have prevented me from having to do that. BRP truly did make it so you wouldn't have to cut anything up. The hardest part was bending the A/C dryer from in front of the condenser to beside it. I expect to get the rest put back together tomorrow, I have to make a run to get new belts as I want to get that all done before putting the radiator in. I did find out that neither of the intercooler pipes can be in place when putting the radiator in, it's that tight.

Last edited:
Not as much as I want. Tomorrow is going to be a full-bore day, I'll hopefully at least get her ready to fire on Thursday.

I have to apologize, when you came up to us in the car at M-O on Saturday I drew a blank. I knew you but forgot your name. Sorry, just blame my advanced age!

Oh, and I have to say that Phen's car looks great. The turbo looks huge in his engine bay. Sounded good too when he fired it up.

Yeah Phen, after you get her all tuned up you'll have to take me for a spin so I can see what a Miata that actually has power is like. :D

No prob! I got on it pretty hard yesterday pulling on to a road in 1st and 2nd. Wow... I don't remember my neck snapping back like that before. Looked down and saw like 50 or so in a 35 zone and decided to chill out. Good thing too... a cop crested the hill as I got back to legal speeds.

decided to list the black altezza tails up on ebay, not gonna mess with an LED retro on em

No prob! I got on it pretty hard yesterday pulling on to a road in 1st and 2nd. Wow... I don't remember my neck snapping back like that before. Looked down and saw like 50 or so in a 35 zone and decided to chill out. Good thing too... a cop crested the hill as I got back to legal speeds.

a new "air filter" will do that eh?

Did some small jobs today, the end is in sight but not quite within reach. I had some problems getting the correct PS belt, I did find some info about how BRP set up the tensioner so I modified mine to look like that in order to have the ability to easily tension the belt. Spal fans are mounted on the shroud, I'll have to source some connectors because Mazda mounted one connector directly to the motor (never seen that before). Doing some work on the gauges to end up the day, looking at the wiring diagram to figure out where to make the power and light connections.

Ran around town and got (hopefully) the last supplies. No one had a DB9-USB adapter, ordered via Amazon with one day shipping but there was an issue so doesn't look like that's happening until Monday. All the hardware is installed in the engine bay now, Spals and IAT sensor hooked up. Just have to put the undertray and front bumper back on (later tonight), then wire up the gauges and get the MS put in. Here's a picture of how it looks now.

Attachments

• MP62 engine bay.jpg
    MP62 engine bay.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 141
dam chief, that looks amazing

I fixed my brakes today, took like 30 min... the culprit?

2012-06-14_21-53-39_502.jpg

******* slider pins, one of the boots had come off the caliper so it was bone dry and had some rust in there. I put new pins on the left side and lubed the ones on the right, those were OK. Car stops as it should now (I drove Marc's miata at MO as a reference), now I have to get a good set of pads and do the same maintenance on the rear

Thanks Pablo, it seems like it's taken a while (and it has!).

The slider pins made the brakes feel the way they did? That's interesting.

The slider pins made the brakes feel the way they did? That's interesting.

Yeah, caliper can get hung up and not have full travel... Causing soft pedal, pulling to one side, etc.

Back