What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Last weekend I put new shoes on my baby - Contis ProContact RX. It took 3.5 hours to mount, balance and align. However, it was worth the wait. Compared to the Fuzions I had on before, night and day difference.

Last weekend I put new shoes on my baby - Contis ProContact RX. It took 3.5 hours to mount, balance and align. However, it was worth the wait. Compared to the Fuzions I had on before, night and day difference.
I bet your 'baby' really loves those new 'shoes'. It's kind of sad you didn't buy the best for your 'child' though. Michelin CrossClimate 2.

But I'm sure 'she' will understand

In the last two weeks I replaced the front endlinks (rear endlinks/SBBs, and front SBBs, were replaced earlier). Replaced the rear motor mount, and transmission mounts. Just replaced the cabin air filters, and “yuck” about sums it up.

Fun note, after the mount replacements the car stalled on me once as I came to a stop… figured it was the computer relearning things after being disconnected. Yesterday while I was at work my wife calls and says it won’t start. Uses a bench charger to jump it. Stalls as soon as then shift out of park to drive off. Sat on a charger all yesterday, then this morning it again wouldn’t start. Got it started by just giving it some gas while cranking (battery seemed fine, and it was cranking without issue).

Checked all the spark plugs, and one was potentially wet so maybe a leaky injector. Also removed and reseated the ECU harness plugs. Since I did that it’s started perfectly every time, no attempts to stall, no idle drops. Letting it sit overnight to see if that plug is still wet in the morning and if it has a hard start then too.

^ i'm SO confused. why'd you disconnect the battery to do completely non-electrical items? Just then to somehow foul the plugs. I did the rear motor mount/cabin air filter combo couple of months back and def did not disconnect the battery cable.

^ i'm SO confused. why'd you disconnect the battery to do completely non-electrical items? Just then to somehow foul the plugs. I did the rear motor mount/cabin air filter combo couple of months back and def did not disconnect the battery cable.
In order to replace the transmission mount, you have to remove the battery (amongst many other things :) to get access. The mount is pretty much directly underneath the battery.

In order to replace the transmission mount, you have to remove the battery (amongst many other things :) to get access. The mount is pretty much directly underneath the battery.
my bad, selective reading comprehension on my part. I'm about to do the tranny mount myself and should've known better.

If you have an automatic, there's no better time to relocate the TCM to the firewall.

How I did mine, I placed rubber fuel line over the brake lines as an insulator, then used heavy duty zip ties to attach the TCM to it.

If you have an automatic, there's no better time to relocate the TCM to the firewall.

How I did mine, I placed rubber fuel line over the brake lines as an insulator, then used heavy duty zip ties to attach the TCM to it.
even for 12+ ? (edit: just read upfix.com site and ... gosh, I guess they never did insulate/move the TCM during revisions.) I never felt like the TCM relocate to the firewall was a "good" solution, I like what this gent did here, with the brackets:

my bad, selective reading comprehension on my part. I'm about to do the tranny mount myself and should've known better.
Yeah, as stated the transmission mount is below the battery box. Just 37 simple steps to get it replaced. I joke, but not much.

Actually my rear motor mount was a big PITA. My impact wouldn’t break it loose, the thread locker installed by Mazda was completely ossified, and it was bound to The rubber on the mount. So I had to jerk really hard with a breaker bar to get enough clearance to put a pipe on the wrench then use my whole body to yank on that. Took a long time to get out.

even for 12+ ? (edit: just read upfix.com site and ... gosh, I guess they never did insulate/move the TCM during revisions.) I never felt like the TCM relocate to the firewall was a "good" solution, I like what this gent did here, with the brackets:

He must have lengthened the wires a good bit to get it that high.

He must have lengthened the wires a good bit to get it that high.
confirmed with fb OP he did not lengthen the tcm harness at all... there are a couple of variations on the bracket. I also like this rendition:

Anywho, this is all on my "winter" to-do list. Our car is perfect rn EXCEPT for the busted rear shock mount :oops:

I love the side and rear look of my 13' M-5 Sport. But the front kind of looks like a child with a big grin on their face. I was thinking about painting some lines on the headlight like this 👇

M5 mad eyes.jpg

What do y'all think???

Go for it! Lots of options to achieve this - you can use traditional spray paint, or a rubberized paint like Plastidip or Superwrap. My only concern would be whether the heat from the headlights would cause any issues.

IMO your best option would be buying actual "eyelids" made out of ABS plastic or fiberglass. They seem to be available on AliExpress and Amazon, just be sure to buy the right ones for your year.

Go for it! Lots of options to achieve this - you can use traditional spray paint, or a rubberized paint like Plastidip or Superwrap. My only concern would be whether the heat from the headlights would cause any issues.

IMO your best option would be buying actual "eyelids" made out of ABS plastic or fiberglass. They seem to be available on AliExpress and Amazon, just be sure to buy the right ones for your year.

I looked around and couldn’t find any that was made for a 2013 5. Would a set for the same year Mazda 3 work? They look to have almost identical headlights.

I looked around and couldn’t find any that was made for a 2013 5. Would a set for the same year Mazda 3 work? They look to have almost identical headlights.

When I did a quick Google search for Mazda5 eyelids, I think I came across a forum post that said the Mazda3 eyelids wouldn't work because the headlight shape is too different.

The Amazon link I posted above should fit. Any eyelids for a 2012-2017 Mazda5 will work.

Today was more of an unpleasant surprise, but better to have done it now before the weather turns to total sh%t. I replaced both of the rear shock mounts two years ago. I had to settle for whatever local parts stores had in stock. Even though it has not snowed at all, the roads have been treated a few times so far this season. However, it's been only about two years since I replaced these suckers. This is typically a simple job, but it took me forever to get the shock bottom bolt out. Alas, I replaced it with a new KYB mount. Time will tell.

20211217_151958.jpg

Last edited:
It happens. :(

But really, if all we have to complain about is some cheap and easily replaced upper shock mounts and engine mounts which are also pretty easy to change, compared to the (lack of) reliability some other cars exhibit (looking at you, Nissan!), I think we're still way ahead of the game.

It happens. :(

But really, if all we have to complain about is some cheap and easily replaced upper shock mounts and engine mounts which are also pretty easy to change, compared to the (lack of) reliability some other cars exhibit (looking at you, Nissan!), I think we're still way ahead of the game.
My 2015 Mazda 5 has 75k miles. I am looking into replacing all four spark plugs and tires soon (lots of treads left but have been in service for ~7 years). I was wondering if the three engine mounts and front / rear shocks and springs should be on my list before 100k miles or should I just wait until they fail before I replace them.

Wait until one fails, then replace all of them.

For plugs, go with NGK OE Laser Iridium. Nothing else. Yeah, they're expensive ($12 each), but it's a once every 75,000 mile thing, which extrapolated out makes them not expensive.

Ok, this was news to me. I was just on vacation in the Caribbean and saw many cools cars that are not available in the states. Even got a chance to drive on the "wrong" side of the road for a day in a new Vitara. I was very happy to see some 2nd gen Proteges running around (my first Mazda :) ) But I was most intrigued to see a Nissan Lafesta, aka Mazda 5. Didn't get a sec to take a picture, but you can always Google that :)

Back