What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

I spent part of yesterday fussing with my new phone, trying to get it to behave nicely with the Bluetooth on my '12 Five Touring. Prior to having Bluetooth in the car, I wouldn't have known or cared whether it worked right, but I've kind of gotten used to having it!

My old phone, which I've now had for probably five years, doesn't provide fancy features like track and album information displaying on the dash readout, but has always behaved very predictably via the Mazda5's Bluetooth, right down to keeping the same spot on a track when I got back in the car after a stop - especially useful when listening to mp3 audiobooks with 60 minute tracks. My new phone has lots of nifty features, but it's all wonky in its Bluetooth music player behavior, very often starting a paused track playing over the phone's speaker as soon as I turn on the car, even with the radio off! It's even once in two days of ownership failed to connect a phone call to the car's speakers, which is crazy distracting when I'm driving.

The phone manufacturer suggested checking the devices' Bluetooth profiles for compatibility ... I think I've managed to obtain the profile information by connecting my Bluetooth-enabled laptop to each device (including the car!), but now I'm not sure what to do with the information other than show it to the store tech rep who sold me the phone and ask if he knows anything.
What kind of phone(s)?
I installed the second carseat - took our first ride with both kiddos. (daughter was born a couple weeks ago)
Congrats!
And how convenient is that sliding door with the car seat? :) I put my younger kid on the driver's side, so to help her out of the car all I have to do is get out and turn around. It's about as convenient as ducking into the baskseat area of an American-style two-door car, and maybe even more convenient since it's easy to access the side of the seat. Have I mentioned on here before that everyone with small kids should test drive a Mazda5? LOL
I keep my 18 month old on the driver side and my 3 year old on the passenger side. During the summer, I get out, open the driver side sliding door, get my 3 year old out first, and then get my 18 month old. Since the sliding doors take up no space in a parking spot, my youngest can at least get a breeze of fresh air while I get her sister out first. I <3 sliding doors.

I keep my 18 month old on the driver side and my 3 year old on the passenger side. During the summer, I get out, open the driver side sliding door, get my 3 year old out first, and then get my 18 month old. Since the sliding doors take up no space in a parking spot, my youngest can at least get a breeze of fresh air while I get her sister out first. I <3 sliding doors.

Your write up seems to be confusing. If you placed the 18 month old on the driver side, you could not have gotten the 3 year old out first from the driver side unless you climbed over the 18th month, which is hard with the baby seat in-place from the driver side, or unless they switch mid ride (nana)

Your write up seems to be confusing. If you placed the 18 month old on the driver side, you could not have gotten the 3 year old out first from the driver side unless you climbed over the 18th month, which is hard with the baby seat in-place from the driver side, or unless they switch mid ride (nana)

Err I go around the other side to get the 3 year old out :p. Typing on my phone is hard.

Congrats!
Thank you.

And how convenient is that sliding door with the car seat? :) ...
Well, a year ago I sold my much-loved motor-swapped e34 Touring for the primary purpose of gaining sliding doors, so... yeah.

I've had several non-parent friends ask me why I got a minivan instead of an SUV or crossover of comparable cargo capacity. After finish with my editorial informing them of my disdain for SUVs and general confusion regarding crossovers (just get over your bad teenage memories of wood-paneled Buick Roadmasters and buy a wagon), I teach them that it isn't so much about cargo capacity, as it is about the ease with which sliding doors allow you to wrestle an unhappy 2 year old into place, or extract the "how-big-does-this-thing-REALLY-need-to-be-for-such-a-tiny-person?" infant carrier without throwing your back out and door dinging the car next to you.

I'm now officially in winter mode.

Swapped to my winter tires for the next six months. Temperature is now steadily 50f and below.

I swapped out my summer rims and tires for my winter set as well. In the process I added a set of new rubber mud flaps front and rear. Last year I got a set of cheap plastic generic aftermarket mud flaps that worked ok but when it got really cold the plastic started to crack and chip. These new mud flaps are a bit thicker and more flexible. They should work well.

Last edited:
I'm running General Altimax Arctic snow tires in 205/60/16. This is a slightly taller tire than stock but they're significantly less expensive than the same tire in 205/55/16 size. I've had good luck with this tire.

Mazda specs for 2.5L Mazda5:
157bhp @6000rpm
163lb-ft @4000rpm

tuanies dyno results:
154whp @5800rpm
161lb-ft @4000rpm

Considering that tuanies saw numbers at the wheel than match Mazda's numbers at the crank, I'd say the 2.5 is fairly under-rated by Mazda...

Are you planning to make power mods and re-dyno?

Elevation is 62ft above sea level, around 59F, 77% humidity.

I plan on getting it tuned by Mat @ Orange Virus Tuning. Have the Tactrix cable and everything. Will dyno again after I get it tuned. No planned mods at the moment, but when I do, I'll have a dyno run for every step of the way.

Drove the 5 to COTA

VNnAMM4.jpg

I drove to my local VW dealer and test drove a 2015 GTI 6spd manual. Wow, I wanted to not like it, but it really drove nice.

-Ordered Coverking Neosupreme seat covers for front and second row (black)
-Ordered factory fog light retrofit kit and Nokya 2500K bulbs to go in them
-Ordered Morimoto 4300K HID kit
-Ordered a replacement antenna (original stolen)
-Ordered factory cargo liner
-Ordered a ScangaugeE
-Registered and titled in VA
-Mounted front license plate on bumper :(

Washed the car, installed LED interior light, LED license plate lights. Removed front license plate and mount, filled in holes in grill. CAI and cat back exhaust installed.

C23B5366-2419-4AEA-9C37-906AAEFDF2EC_zpsjtxxxoav.jpg

Back