What have you done to your CX-5 today?

As far as I can tell, the Miata doesn't come with a spare tire. Instead you have an Emergency Tire Repair Kit, assuming you have an ND.

The Owner's Manual for the NC states the same, but there is mention of an optional spare tire. In that case, it says to just replace the damaged tire with the spare, but there is no mention of where the spare should be mounted.

This is true, no spare tire for the MX-5.

Ain't we talking about the CX-5 here? ;)

My point was that perhaps the noise that you mentioned is from the mismatch in size of the tires on the front and causing some issue with the transaxle. Not good.
Then we’ll have the same problem to rear differential for AWD CX-5 when we mount the smaller compact spare at the rear!

Yes I heard the same noise when I had the stock T145/90D16 compact spare at right front when the road tire had a nail. The noise was gone once the new tires were put on. I wonder if I use T155/90D18 compact spare I also have which has the same overall diameter as road tires and will the horrible noise still be there?

What do you mean by “pull-through patch”? Did the tire store took the tire off the rim and put a patch from inside?
Yes, they broke the bead enough to allow them access to the interior of the tire. The patch is a stem on it that is pulled through the hole so you get the hole closed up completely.

What a beautiful day, sunny day for a change. Haven't washed CX-5 for almost two months. Washed and detailed inside out, then tried new 303 Graphene NANO Spray Coating I had for a while. Looks like it works pretty good, but don't think it's for me. Thought it was a simple spray and wipe as many others these days. Buffing is not for my mechanical shoulder, YMMV.

20220109_163458.jpg

20220109_163322.jpg

What a beautiful day, sunny day for a change. Haven't washed CX-5 for almost two months. Washed and detailed inside out, then tried new 303 Graphene NANO Spray Coating I had for a while. Looks like it works pretty good, but don't think it's for me. Thought it was a simple spray and wipe as many others these days. Buffing is not for my mechanical shoulder, YMMV.
Ask 100 people and you'll get 200 answers, but for simplicity, cost, and effectiveness you really can't go wrong with Turtle Wax Seal and Shine and TW Ice spray wax - both available at Walmart. If you're washing even just every 2 months these are all you'll need. Also check out on Amazon Duragloss Aquawax that you can use as a detailer or after every wash. If you Google Duragloss Aquawax you'll find even car guys like the stuff and you can use it on the interior too

I've been using TW Ice Spray Wax for a while. With the weather I have here in PNW, rain almost everyday, I don't like to wash when it's raining, LOL. TW Ice spray wax doesn't seem to last long enough. It's time for me to try something else, time to try Nu Finish Rapid Shine spray.

Last edited:
Sure enough, heavy rain this morning.
The Graphene coating is beading nicely. The CX-5 is parked on stiff incline.

20220110_085925.jpg

20220110_085914.jpg

Still, this isn't for me, takes too much elbow grease, which I don't have.

As far as I can tell, the Miata doesn't come with a spare tire. Instead you have an Emergency Tire Repair Kit, assuming you have an ND.

The Owner's Manual for the NC states the same, but there is mention of an optional spare tire. In that case, it says to just replace the damaged tire with the spare, but there is no mention of where the spare should be mounted.
NB, and yes there is a spare. I forgot that signatures usually aren't visible after one posts the first time in a thread.

And because I was posting this, probably caused me to have a flat today and have to use it for the first time. :rolleyes: And sure enough the Miata owners' manual says to not use the spare on the rear axle of LSD-equipped cars. So I had to basically do a double tire change with both tires on one side lifted off the ground. Not fun without power tools that's for sure.

Awhile back I changed all the car's exterior bulbs, except head and fog lamps, to LED, all from superbrightleds.com. I went with the 7443 27-LED red bulbs for the rear main brake lights, but to my eyes there wasn't enough difference between the tail and brake light functions.

So today I pulled them out and put in their 7443 28-LED bulbs which are a bit longer but still fit in the housing. Definitely brighter, and more of a difference between tail and brake light bulbs. And they're actually half the price of the 27-LED versions for some reason.

The spec sheet lists the 27-LED red bulb as 11/36 lumens, but the 28-LED version is 45/185 lumens. I'm not sure if the difference is really that drastic, but a side-by-side comparison on the car with each bulb definitely shows the new ones are brighter.

Only problem was that I placed the order around Thanksgiving, and made the mistake of choosing economy shipping. It sat in a UPS facility for over a month, and just showed up today.
Forgot to update on this. I changed out the rear brake light bulbs on our 2014 CX5. The 28-LED bulbs are definitely brighter than the 27's.

Crazy thing, though. That same night, before I went to bed I just happened to decide to go out in the garage and press the brake pedal just to see the difference in light shining on the garage door. Couldn't see any light from the left side with tail lights on, and with brake lights on no change on the left side. Also the center brake light was coming on with the tail lights/parking lights. Weird! I went in the left lamp housing and flipped the LED bulb around 180 degrees. Now it all works fine.

Never knew these were polarity sensitive, and apparently the other side and the previous set I happened to all install correctly.

LED's yes, but not all LED bulbs are polarity sensitive. I have several sets of 194 LED wedge bulbs that can be installed in either direction. But apparently that's not the case with the 7443 bulbs I put in.

LED's yes, but not all LED bulbs are polarity sensitive. I have several sets of 194 LED wedge bulbs that can be installed in either direction. But apparently that's not the case with the 7443 bulbs I put in.
Yes, some LED bulb manufactures added more circuitry so that it’s “non-polarity” and will say so on the package. But mostly they’re single-filament LED bulb such as 194、168、or even true 7440. 7443 and 7444 used on CX-5 are dual-filament, and I haven’t seen any such non-polarity LED bulbs available on the market.

Not so much "to it", instead "for it", as in "for it to get to the street". For you warm weather folks, In case you are not aware, this is what 18" of fresh powder looks like. The nor'easter dropped all this from around midnight to noon today on Niagara County, NY. My 20 year old Craftsman
/ Briggs & Stratton snowblower came through like a champ. The fresh air and exercise felt good!

Attachments

• IMG_1628.JPG
    IMG_1628.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 101
Last edited by a moderator:
Upgraded my subwoofer setup, installed the Big 3, ran new power and ground, new amp and subwoofer. everything is 0/1AWG wire now.

Attachments

• image8375.jpg
    image8375.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 91
  • image8376.jpg
    image8376.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 92
  • PXL_20220128_041123152.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220128_041123152.MP.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 66
Oil/filter change, rotated tires, topped off brake fluid. Checked my rear sway end links, everything is still tight with all nuts present.

Back