What happens when the timing belt breaks or skips? 1998 Mazda 323

Hi.

I got a Mazda 323 -98 and when i drove it just died, it got spark from the sparkplugs, and it got gas to engine, but it feels like it doesn't have any compression, Does anyone knows what happends when timing belt brakes off or jump over a cog, does it break down the hole engine or?
The car in question is Mazda 323 4D 1.8 -98. If the timing belt has skipped 1 tooth, the valves may be open and it is not getting compression, is it possible.

Hope you understand my bad english.

The 1.8L is a non-interference engine so no bent valves or broken cogs if your timing belt broke. Is it not starting?

No, I drove then the car started to chop and then it died, and it won't start, it feels like it has no compression when i grind on the starter.

My thought was that the timing belt had broke off or that it had jumped over a gear and therefore lacked compression because the valves were open.

More than likely your timing belt broke hence why you don't have compression. Take off your timing cover and see if the belt is torn.

On the 2.0 liter engine, you can remove the oil cap to see if the cams are turning while the engine is cranking. If the cams aren't turning, then your timing belt is broken.
The 1.8 liter engine may be similar?

I was open oil cap and looking, and i can see one cam moving when i grind on starter, any suggestion whats wrong, I can try to share a video of sound when i grind on starter.

Here comes a video. Isn't the sound like there are no spark plugs in or the belt is in the wrong position so the valves are open?

Back