What car did you trade in for your CX-5?

Traded my 2011 Mustang (13,000 Miles) for the CX-5.

Recently moved to a smaller city and closer to nature. Needed better gas mileage, cargo space and wife needed to take it too! The Mustang was manual and not gravel road friendly for those weekend hikes.

I have to admit that on for highway only, the Mustang was pretty darn sweet for MPG for a 305HP engine but not that great in city. So far, i'm only missing the raw power my Mustang had.

2005 Honda Pilot...needed to downsize, and transmission was feeling like it was about to go (known problem with that model/year). Traded in the ultimate in ugly, box-like SUVs for a stylish little CUV!

I traded in my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee for my Zeal GT as the Jeep was truly on its way out. It was in 'limp home mode' and Jeep could not remedy this for me, the PCM had issues and again jeep could not provide a suitable resolution to this... final nail in the proverbial coffin was piston slap (uhm) so it was time to go.

Loving that I have gone from using 17 litres per 100 km to now 8 litres per 100 km.

I have not regretted this purchase for one moment.

2002 Acura MDX - 145000 miles. Loved the car but the premium gas and 15 mpg and 21 mpg was killing me. Miss the Bose soundsystem which was better than the one in the CX-5 but otherwise I love every thing about my new CX-5 touring with nav.

Just traded in the wife's 2008 Honda Accord EX for a Black Mica AWD CX-5 GT. This was quite a change, as we've had 6 Accords in a row with good experience. Have been looking at the new for 2013 Accord and several other vehicles. I've had several SUV's in the past and liked the utility but not the gas mileage. We also love our 06 MX-5, so we have confidence in Mazda engineering and quality. IMO, the CX-5 is a unique combination of technology & design, utility, comfort, economy, features .............. and driving feel!

Last edited:
I traded my beautiful 2009 Mercedes ML350... Loved that car, but the gas was killing me - I was paying $100/week to fill up with premium gas. Couldn't take it anymore, so I traded luxury for fuel efficiency - and while it took a little bit of adjustment, I am very happy with CX-5 now. :)

I'm in Central NJ too, what dealer did you get your CX-5 from and what color? We were looking at the ML also way in the beginning of our search for a CUV but when I saw the horrible gas mileage it gets we quickly ran from it, same with Acura RDX. Sure it is a sweet ride but so is the CX-5 and gets twice teh MPG that the ML does. $45 worth of gas goes about 400 miles, great deal.

Traded in my 2007 Mazda3 Touring (147,000 miles) and love the CX5, its very similar to the 3 just a little bigger and better fuel econ.

I traded my beautiful 2009 Mercedes ML350... Loved that car, but the gas was killing me - I was paying $100/week to fill up with premium gas. Couldn't take it anymore, so I traded luxury for fuel efficiency - and while it took a little bit of adjustment, I am very happy with CX-5 now. :)

Welcome. Yes, I used to own a 2006 ML350, it got around 17mpg on premium in town. Nearly identical driving conditions the CX-5 get 26mpg on regular.

I'm in Central NJ too, what dealer did you get your CX-5 from and what color? We were looking at the ML also way in the beginning of our search for a CUV but when I saw the horrible gas mileage it gets we quickly ran from it, same with Acura RDX. Sure it is a sweet ride but so is the CX-5 and gets twice teh MPG that the ML does. $45 worth of gas goes about 400 miles, great deal.
Hi there neighbor!
I agree - 400 miles for $45 is so much better than paying $100 with 22mpg at best.
I got my CX-5 from East Brunswick Open Road Mazda. They gave me the best trade value and a good deal on CX-5 because I was buying one off the lot. (At first I was looking for Stormy Blue/sand leather GT+tech FWD.. very particular, I know :) -- which did not seem to exist in 5 nearby dealerships.. I didn't want to wait 3 months to be shipped from Japan). I have looked and test drove Nissan Rogue, Toyota RAV4, and Ford Escape, but settled on Mazda. I have spoken to at least 3 other Mazda dealerships and visited one (Hamilton - didn't have a good experience), but EB Mazda worked with me to earn my business...

What about you, whereabouts in Central NJ?

Oh, and forgot to add - I have Stormy Blue with sand leather (dealer install, because I wanted heated seats), Touring+mooroof/bose package, FWD.

Last edited:
Hi there neighbor!
I agree - 400 miles for $45 is so much better than paying $100 with 22mpg at best.
I got my CX-5 from East Brunswick Open Road Mazda. They gave me the best trade value and a good deal on CX-5 because I was buying one off the lot. (At first I was looking for Stormy Blue/sand leather GT+tech FWD.. very particular, I know :) -- which did not seem to exist in 5 nearby dealerships.. I didn't want to wait 3 months to be shipped from Japan). I have looked and test drove Nissan Rogue, Toyota RAV4, and Ford Escape, but settled on Mazda. I have spoken to at least 3 other Mazda dealerships and visited one (Hamilton - didn't have a good experience), but EB Mazda worked with me to earn my business...

What about you, whereabouts in Central NJ?

Oh, and forgot to add - I have Stormy Blue with sand leather (dealer install, because I wanted heated seats), Touring+mooroof/bose package, FWD.
Hi MazdaDriverNJ, I would love to see pics of the interior of your CX-5 of the dealer installed leather seats. I also have a touring, moonroof/bose package and would like to see end result.

I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and I traded in a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta GLI. It had the 2.0T turbocharged engine with a 6-speed manual. It was a fun car to drive BUT was a horrible car to own!!! Having to only use premium gas really sucked... but the biggest problem was that it was constantly breaking down. I lost count of how many times it was in the shop. One of the last time I was there they brought out my past files, and it was so much they had to use 2 file folders and was about 3in thick. They then told me that they only had the past 3 years because they purge their files every few years. When it came time to get rid of it... I had to do some negotiating but I got within $125 of the price I wanted for the car. I'm glad I got rid of it, and so far I'm really enjoying my new CX-5!

HI all--traded a 2007 Toyota RAV4. Loved the car, but had high mileage, a small leak around the windshield, and starting to have some problems. More than that,I guess I really wanted to buy myself a 50th birthday present:)

Hi MazdaDriverNJ, I would love to see pics of the interior of your CX-5 of the dealer installed leather seats. I also have a touring, moonroof/bose package and would like to see end result.
Hi ciara,
I'm going to try to post some pictures, apologies in advance that they are not best quality - the car was in the garage and the light was not very good.
Also I was trying to get seats and the door panels.. again sorry for the bad quality.
Car (1).jpg
Car (2).jpg
Car (3).jpg
Car (4).jpg
Car (5).jpg

Hi ciara,
I'm going to try to post some pictures, apologies in advance that they are not best quality - the car was in the garage and the light was not very good.
Also I was trying to get seats and the door panels.. again sorry for the bad quality.
View attachment 198339
View attachment 198340
View attachment 198341
View attachment 198342
View attachment 198343

WOW!!! Thanks MazdaDriverNJ...Beautifully done and looks excellent with your exterior color!!! How much did you pay for the leather seats and door panels including the heater? Are the controls of the heater unit the same as on the Grand Touring model?

Traded in an 07 Mazda 6i SVE. Mileage was getting up there. Wanted something newer with warranty and better mpg's.

Back