What car did you trade in for your CX-5?

I traded in a SAAB 93 1.9 tdi Sportwagen, which was my eighth consecutive SAAB since 1973. It was a horrible GM hybrid and not a true SAAB like all the others. I guess that if the company hadn't gone belly up or had been rescued and gone back to its roots, I might still be one of the SAAB faithful, and SAAB had a small but rock solid customer base. But that's life and I must move on.
I had made up my mind that my next car would be a crossover with its high ride making getting in and out a lot easier (an age thing). So after quite a lot of research I decided on the CX-5. The British designed and built Nissan Qashqai (I think it has another name in the US) ran a close second but had recently been downgraded to a 1.6D, the 2litre no longer available with a manual gearbox.
Although Mazda is a much larger company than SAAB, they are small compared to their three main Japanese rivals. Also I felt that Mazda and SAAB had some similarities. In a similar way to SAAB Mazda are innovative and seek sophisticated engineering solutions to problems rather than gimmicks. The Mazda slogan Defy Convention seemed very similar in its message to a couple of old SAAB slogans like Dare to be Different and Move your Mind.
It's very strange seeing something other than a SAAB on the driveway now, but I must say that the CX-5 2.2D manual in zeal red is a handsome beast and it's a cracker to drive too.

traded my 2011 chevy truck standard cab short bed Z71. mpg was not so hot for a commuter car..lol cx5 is like twice as much now..even with 154 miles on it :)

Now that's a big change in vehicles. Did you like the BMW?
Yeah, its so far from each other as it could be :D
I did like the BMW, got it tuned to over 400bhp, coup, sportscar. I did change becouse we wanted more comfort, better economy and a NEW car.
The CX5 will have more tech then the BMW, be 5years newer, cheaper to own.. but you sure do sacrifice the fun of that sportscar, to the comfort of a SUV.

You simply get so much more for your money, BMW isn't worth it, not this time.

2008 BMW E90 328i. I got tired of the repair and maintenance costs. I was coming up on needing new tires, brakes, rotors, and some other maintenance items and it was going to cost me a few thousand for all of that. Plus it had high mileage for the year since I drive a lot for work, so I cut my losses and got rid of it while I could.

Honda CRV 08. Had a 2003 CRV prior to that..very happy with the CRV's did not like the looks of the latest generation esp the back..very reminiscent of the Pontiac Aztec. husband said get something different for a change...was between the Rav-4 and CX-5. BSM sold me on the CX-5...

Traded in a 2010 Stormy Blue CX-7 GX w/ Luxury package (leather, Bluetooth, moonroof).

The CX-7 was getting worse on gas over time (it was drinking 12-13L/100 KM recently, from 10L/100 when new for the base 2.5L engine without turbo). It needed bodywork repairs and was starting to develop issues with brakes before hitting 50K kilometres on the odo. Not to mention the front power windows that had a mind of their own, during hot summer days. I never was able to adjust to the CX-7's rather poor headlights, also.

Faced with an upcoming $1300 service bill and quickly decreasing resale values on CX-7s, I just caved in and decided to go for the 2014 CX-5 GT 2.5. Love the extra power and extra toys in the CX-5 GT, but I do miss the CX-7's trip computer (I still feel cheated that Mazda cheapened out on that on a 35K CUV like the CX-5 GT) and passenger's side power window. I'm also still not loving the really low position of the clock in the CX-5, or its USB interface (we all know why).

Last edited:
Traded in a 2004 Nissan Titan.......goodbye 12 mpg and multiple recalls.

Because it had 3 recalls I did not want to sell this truck. 2 of the recalls were just me being slow responding, but one I had fixed under the recall that impacted the airbags was a repeated failure and Nissan told me that they addressed it once and are not obligated to address it again. I spliced the wiring harness myself and got it fixed at home, but did not feel like it was something I wanted to pass off to a private buyer. I know someone will probably end up with it from an auto auction, but at least I feel better about trading it instead. There were other costs coming up as well. Plus I had been tired of the constant droning of the V-8 and performance exhaust system where there was rarely a quiet moment. Sounded pretty cool the first day I bought it, but got old quick.

With just a few hundred miles so far I am really happy with the CX-5. I have had one minor issue with the side mirror sensor not turning off once a car passes. Typically this happens on a multilane interstate at highway speeds and passing or being passed on the left or the right. The right side seems to turn off fairly consistently. The driver side seems to get stuck on. I will ask the dealer when I take it back for the first oil change.

Golf 5, R32 DSG, great car, just too small.

Last edited:
Honda CRV 08. Had a 2003 CRV prior to that..very happy with the CRV's did not like the looks of the latest generation esp the back..very reminiscent of the Pontiac Aztec. husband said get something different for a change...was between the Rav-4 and CX-5. BSM sold me on the CX-5...

I have to agree. I was driving a 2007 CRV but was not impressed with the new design, so I went for the much better looking CX-5. The previous CRV generation was fun looking, but the new generation looks too utilitarian.

Traded in 2004 Golf GL. I loved it to be honest, but it was starting to need many replacements (with reason). I had nearly 200k miles on it, and it got 37 city/ 40 hwy (I think I had a fluke, and loved that I could go 500 miles on a tank). Though it was roomy, I am 6'2" guy who has been on 4 deployments on a ship (kills those knees) and getting in an out became a task.

I got the manual CX-5, and I can make some headway with speed. 1st gear is the only problem child, but at 2nd I can zip past those other "more powerful" cars. Gotta remember that sometimes it's HOW you drive, not how much power you have.

But I will always have mad love for my VW Golf.

Sold in a private sale a 2001 Toyota Celica GT. Loved that car soo much, drove and handled amazingly. I used it over several winters as well and I only got stuck once because I did not have winter tires on it. Worked overseas for a while so did not drive it, had only 84000 km on it. I loved every bit of this car (I drove other newer Toyotas and I thought the built quality went down since the older days). Anyway, a couple of years ago we were blessed with a beautiful baby girl so we needed a second car to serve the purpose...so my ride had to go and got replaced with a 2014 GS AWD CX 5. Rav4 was a close second on our shopping list but we went with the CX 5 for the way it drives. Time will tell if we made the right/best choice.

'04 Honda CR-V EX with 126k miles. I actually think I could have kept her going for at least 2 more years as I had done a good job with maintenance, but I had 2 substantial things go...and I was worried it was just the beginning. Saddly I still miss my CR-V, mainly because I loved all the storage spaces and thoughtful things, such as a hook on the fold down tray that you could put the handles of a plastic bag into for carryout or something (kept it from spilling everywhere). Miss having a place for my purse. And even though the CX-5 is only ever so slightly bigger, I am having one heck of a time front parking it. I can back into anything, but every time I pull into a space and think I got it smack in the middle I get out to find I'm tight on one side or the other. I think it must have something to do with the turning radius differences between the 2 vehicles. I think the CX-5 actually is a bit tighter so I'm not starting to turn in early enough resulting in being off center.

I am enjoying the new car experience, but wish I had gone for the Touring model with the tech and bose packages, rather than the GT. I hate the leather. I do like the door lock technology though. I wish I could find decent seat covers for the front and back though...that's how much I hate the leather.

Hi, traded in 2006 Honda Ridgeline. Gas mileage was 12 - 15 mpg. CX5 avg's 27, love that, but miss the storage space on the ridgeline.

I traded in a 2007 kia/rondo-carens with 42,000 miles on it. no unexpected bills and I wanted a new one, but the new model has less power.

didn't need 7 seats anymore and wanted more power and mpg. liked the size of the old car the cx5 is about the same size. although its poor for storage cubby holes compared to the kia.

Traded in Honda FRV 2.2 ictdi love the car but no replacement from Honda have a safety critical job so needed replacement and cx-5 fitted the bill

We traded a 2004 Honda Accord 4dr 5spd. We got the Cx-5 because it is the best vehicle on the market for a small family that can use the AWD for the price bar none. Plus it is fun to drive. It has a personality. There are so many vehicles out there that feels just a cage on wheels.

Traded in a 2005 Peugeot 307SW Speed'up 2.0 140hp with 103000 km on the odometer.
CX-5 was a good (and original) choice for a 4-person family living in a hilly northern Italy city.

Back