Water Leak

heyitsrain

:
Protege5
So I have a water leak coming from my passenger side floor. After being not busy anymore I decided to investigate the water leak. Before I could investigate, I did some research and found these threads that helped me locate where my leak was coming from.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123803203-Passenger-side-water-leak

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123723897-BIG-Water-Problem

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123827490-firewall-cabin-water-leaks

So I decided to test the roof rack since the previous owner took off the roof rack, but no luck. Tested the door if it was leaking, again no luck. But when I tested the wipercowl basing from the links above, long and behold it did leak. As I was observing the wiper cowl, it was only leaking when the water is kind of overflowing and going into where the outside air is coming inside the cabin. With that being said, I concentrated the water in full blast where the outside air is coming from and this happens:

Yup, its pretty bad. Also, I saw some rusts around where I was putting water into, I cant see it clearly becuase its on a tight spot and i cant even fit my hand to reach it, so I do not know the condition of that rust. Question is, (I know this is a stupid one, forgive me) can water really go where the outside air is coming from? Or theres some big ass hole around the vent? Thanks!

Last edited:
Check out this thread...

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123827490-firewall-cabin-water-leaks

I remember reading the thread years ago so I removed my wiper cowl and cleaned it out, siliconed a few little holes and made sure my drain holes were clear.

These are the drain holes (I stole the picture from that thread)

The area under the cowl is like a trough and if the drain holes are plugged the water level can rise and water can run into the fresh air intake and into the interior of the car.

Last edited:
Check out this thread...

The area under the cowl is like a trough and if the drain holes are plugged the water level can rise and water can run into the fresh air intake and into the interior of the car.

Ohh I forgot about that thread as well, i also tried ti clean up the wiper cowl drain with a hanger as well and cleaned some mud pile up behind the plastic cover and its still kind of overflowing, and thought that its normal(the overflowing that is) since i dont know how fast/slow the drain really is. I guess i dint clean the drain well enough. Will try to clean it when the weather warms up a bit up in here. Will update, thanks!

Last edited:
So a very very long update on this thread. Last month I fixed my water leak by unclogging the drain due to some mud pile up where the water goes from the wiper cowl.

There was very thick mud behind the plastic cover, and it was present on both sides as well. I dont know what the previous owner did on how it got so much mud to the point it would clog the drain but one thing is for sure, the water leak is gone finally -_-

Thanks again PCB.

You're welcome.
I like sharing the knowledge.
I spend more time on this forum than working on my car.

So I have a water leak coming from my passenger side floor. After being not busy anymore I decided to investigate the water leak. Before I could investigate, I did some research and found these threads that helped me locate where my leak was coming from.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123803203-Passenger-side-water-leak

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123723897-BIG-Water-Problem

So I decided to test the roof rack since the previous owner took off the roof rack, but no luck. Tested the door if it was leaking, again no luck. But when I tested the wipercowl basing from the links above, long and behold it did leak. As I was observing the wiper cowl, it was only leaking when the water is kind of overflowing and going into where the outside air is coming inside the cabin. With that being said, I concentrated the water in full blast where the outside air is coming from and this happens:

Yup, its pretty bad. Also, I saw some rusts around where I was putting water into, I cant see it clearly becuase its on a tight spot and i cant even fit my hand to reach it, so I do not know the condition of that rust. Question is, (I know this is a stupid one, forgive me) can water really go where the outside air is coming from? Or theres some big ass hole around the vent? Thanks!

Reactions: pcb
I went out to check my parts car to see what it looks like.

My brother-in-law wanted my heater core and AC condenser from my parts car for a project.

The FSM says to remove the entire dash to remove them, so we just butchered it out with a hammer, pry bar, saws-all, pliers and a grinder. Lol

Here's what's left, but I don't remember about the drain.

I assume it is the hole in the middle that I circled.

20211030_110002.jpg

I checked my DD to see what's there and I figure this must be my drain.

20211030_105524.jpg

20211030_105445.jpg

I don't have that one way valve attachment on my drain port.

I don't know if it fell off, or was removed, or never came with one ?

The service manual does appear to show some sort of valve.

20211030_105139.jpg

The bottom of the doors have similar one way valves for drainage, and they too can plug up with dirt then your door fills up with water.

I just removed mine.
They aren't necessary and the rectangular hole that is left is much less likely to plug up.

These are the valves on my parts car...

20211030_112043.jpg

20211030_112033.jpg

20211030_112058.jpg

While investigating an issue with mine where water is dripping on the RF door speaker, I noticed the door held a lot of water, turns out my FR and RL doors have been replaced and repainted, they painted over the drains thus sealing the rubber to the plastic :ROFLMAO:. I am not new to clogged door drains so it was a first check when I saw the bad speaker. I need to set some $$ aside and order those window sweeps

As luck would have it mine started leaking from the HVAC too. Same problem, clogged drains. I just foodded it with water and vacuumed it out untill debris stopped washing back and it started draining and keeping up with a wide open water hose.

what did any of y'all use to prevent/stop the mildew smell on the deadner under the carpet. I have gotten some zep antibacterial cleaner that I tested on an old sink sponge (that gross smell they get I figured was a good test) it seemed to work at disinfecting it. In the meantime I have the carpet supported to allow the floor vent to blow air under there while I drive. I feel like I will have to take out the seats and console and wash it out, spray it, and rinse to get it covered well and allow it to dry.

I never actually had a water leak.
I removed my wiper cowl and cleaned out the drain holes with a coat hanger to get better flow and I just removed my door drain valves to help prevent them from clogging.

I get my car undercoated/oil sprayed every year, and they spray inside the doors.
Oil spray mixed with dust and dirt makes goo that can plug things up.

I never actually had a water leak.
I removed my wiper cowl and cleaned out the drain holes with a coat hanger to get better flow and I just removed my door drain valves to help prevent them from clogging.

I get my car undercoated/oil sprayed every year, and they spray inside the doors.
Oil spray mixed with dust and dirt makes goo that can plug things up.
Mine clogged with mud from the dust at the yard where I drive a truck. It's got to be some of the lightest stuff I've ever driven through. Worse in the summer when we are all backing in and the ac makes the truck fans come on and kick up desert storm 🤣. I have been using my carpet extractor to suck water out of the padding for the past few days.

Back