want to order an intake...

buttons252

:
06 Mazdaspeed 6
I just got my speed6 and I told myself I wouldnt mod it... but the other i was looking under the hood and it appears the previous owner made his SRI... it looks pretty ghetto since i dont have the factory air box i was thinking ordering a quality piece like COBB SRI. Dont want to do a CAI, to much hassle... Don't know how i didnt catch this before i bought it.. but i didnt

From my searches it seems Cobb is a popular choice but is there any particular vendor i should order it through?

Last edited by a moderator:
. The intake is not out yet. I would assume after COBB has produced them, you could order them through COBB or any other dealers that want to sell them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you can just get the one for the MS3. It would kinda just hang there because it would not have the correct bracket. I think the only difference between the MS3 and MS6 is the MS6 will have a larger filter and of course a correct bracket.

yes..I have the ms3 cobb sri and use a zip tie it's fine..I love this intake becuase I never worrie about hydro lock or studering after car washes lile my mazdaspeed intake did..good mod go for it

Or if you dont want to contribute to heatsoak by sucking in hot engine air get a CP-E CAI with the proper MAF housing size (so does Cobb). I would highly recommend fabbing up a cheap sheet metal wheel well vent cover though and another cover over the hole so it doesnt get sprayed from underneath. (carwashes that spray your underbody tend to get it real good through that hole) I made them both just with some cheap thin sheet metal stuff from the hardware store, i havent had any problems with my filter since then.

Or if you dont want to contribute to heatsoak by sucking in hot engine air get a CP-E CAI with the proper MAF housing size (so does Cobb). I would highly recommend fabbing up a cheap sheet metal wheel well vent cover though and another cover over the hole so it doesnt get sprayed from underneath. (carwashes that spray your underbody tend to get it real good through that hole) I made them both just with some cheap thin sheet metal stuff from the hardware store, i havent had any problems with my filter since then.

how does it stay on? i was thinking of doing that too

What heat soak?...theres something called an intercooler lol...not to be rude but sri or cold air your still getting the same benefits, just the sri is much easier to maintain...BTW SU has them in stock for the speed 6...give em a try...

I think it works like this.... correct me if I am wrong

If you start out with hotter air from the engine bay, the final temperature of the air entering you cylinders will be hotter. The intercooler can only cool the air charge by a finite amount.

110 Degree Air in ==> Turbo 130 degrees ===> Intercooler (30% reduction) 90 Degrees

80 Degree Air in ==> Turbo 110 degrees ===> Intercooler (30% reduction) 77 degrees

maybe?

Yeah, I recently read an article written by COBB that turned me away from SRI forever. They did testing on a subaru STI with a SRI their results where horrifying. Sure the car might make extra power before it warms up on the dyno, but once the car was warmed up under the hood it was like 250 degree's. when they measured the tempature at the intake manifold it was still around 250.

When they tested a CAI air being sucked in was like 70 and at the intake manifold it was 130 degree's. Im going with a CAI...

The above numbers could be off some as i am going by memory, but the tempature difference of the air at the intake manifold had a difference of like 80+ CAI vs SRI

Back