Used oil analysis

Another bump for the recent analysis. Look like the engine is doing great. Aside from regular oil changes at 6k mile intervals or so I've done do additional maintenance to it. Gas mileage has been getting better too recently as I managed to get 32.6 mpg over a couple hundred mile road trip recently when I would previously get around 29 on that particular drive before. Very happy with the mechanicals of the CX-5.

I'm glad it's working out for you as expected.
Please keep us updated.

Bump. Still going strong. Going to up the interval a little more next time.

uE4oSR5.jpg

Bump. Still going strong. Going to up the interval a little more next time.

uE4oSR5.jpg

Interesting to see the Moly levels declining with each oil change after your switch back to castrol.
Any plans to do another run with the Moly oil? It would be interesting to see if it would bring the AL level back down to 2 again.

Interesting to see the Moly levels declining with each oil change after your switch back to castrol.
Any plans to do another run with the Moly oil? It would be interesting to see if it would bring the AL level back down to 2 again.

I'm considering using the Mazda Moly oil for my next change to see what happens. My understanding is the Moly is an anti wear additive and I think the engine seems to be wearing really well without it. That's also the only sample with high fuel, so I don't know if it was an issue with something the tech did or if it was the oil. I haven't noticed similar fuel levels with other reports that have been posted where the owners ran Moly oil.

I'm going to go for a longer interval this time. Don't know if I'll push it all the way to 9,000 this time like they suggested. Maybe a tad over 8,000.

Great results! Some questions:
1) What kind of climate do you drive in?

2) Whats your driving style?

btw, thanks for sharing!

Interesting theory about how using premium decreases the risk of valve deposits. Makes sense to me.

Great results! Some questions:
1) What kind of climate do you drive in?

2) Whats your driving style?

btw, thanks for sharing!

I live in FL so hot, humid, and depending on the time of year, rainy. My driving is probably 65% highway and 35% city, but sometimes if traffic is really bad the highway is a lot of stop and go. I drive fairly hard too, moving around here and there to get around the slowpokes.

I wonder how much valve deposits are an issue on Skyactiv motors? Other than the the Orange tune thread I haven't seen anyone post about issues related to deposit issues. Perhaps in years to come with 100K miles on the odometer they will show up?

100k miles isn't a landmark it used to be. And I bet with 5yrs/100k miles there will be no issues with deposits. But with less- driven, frequent- started vehicle in harsh climate this could be a different story. Time will tell.

100k miles isn't a landmark it used to be. And I bet with 5yrs/100k miles there will be no issues with deposits. But with less- driven, frequent- started vehicle in harsh climate this could be a different story. Time will tell.

I agree...it may be a while before we know for sure. I am not opposed to using premium as I have been using with my Nissan/Infiniti products for the last 15 years.

It has nothing, or very little to do with fuel economy. Rather, oil dilution with fuel and valve deposits.

Well, not going going to thread hi-jack Seminole's thread. I am going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Interesting thoughts in this thread.
From atxmazdahonda's UOA report on his factory fill 0W20, 2015 Mazda 3i Sport, Auto, 2.0L gas, US, one thing is clear that Mazda indeed uses Mazda moly oil from factory as the molybdenum content is very high at 608!

Back