US Diesel's big splash introduction

Bio diesel still generates particulate matter which will alienate it in Europe so the USA won't be far behind.

Why get a prius when the Mirage gets 55mpg and has aftermarket support?

Yeah, my wife has negative interest in after market and in modding :)
At the time, we got tax incentives and other sizable incentives and we got 0% APR - so starts were aligned.
Also, I don't think you could buy a Mirage back then, and Mitsubishi has very small presence in the US, I'd be worried about resale and no choice of a dealership.
The Mirage does get 40 MPG on fuelly, which is pretty good, but our Prius was getting 48 MPG without much effort, 50 with.
Last, the Prius is a larger vehicle, and being a hatchback, with much more utility.

But there's also less driver training, higher speed limits, different trailer design/tongue weights etc, etc.

We have next to no training here at all. Doesn't seem to deter people towing things at various speeds.

For potential USA/Canada owners, found this small clip (from Japan) showing the engine's rolling performance from 12mph to 50mph (20km/h to 80km/h):

Note This is the XD Proactive model which has 173bhp and 310 lb/ft which is max figures (unsure if it's FWD or AWD)

Currently it seems EVs will become the future. However, diesel engines can run on bio-diesel, which could be completely renewable. I am not talking about using used fryer oil, but on dedicated infrastructure. Will it happen? Currently does not look like it, but it is possible, see this YouTube tech-talk

It seems to me that our biofuel strategy is heavily influenced by the farm lobby who aren't particularly interested in sustainability. They just want subsidies to mass produce more first generation (food stock) fuel crops.

As a former Prius owner (my wife's former ride), I disagree hybrids are the future. They are but a temporary stage until we can get something better.
Many Prius owners at the time considered the vehicle because it gave them access to the carpool/diamond lane. Same thing is happening now with the EVs. However, overall there is a low adoption rate and most people still get traditional gas engine vehicles.

The problem is the pricing structure. The price difference between PHEV and Hybrid is almost exactly the tax credit and, sometimes, you lose features, although you do get the diamond lane. And then you have to plugin, somewhere. I live in an apartment, no plugin. There is a single station, free, where I work. The other's require that you pay and when you only get 20 something miles per plugin, well, it's effectively more expensive than a hybrid and gas.

Pure EV vehicles are a different topic and I really now nothing about them as they aren't on my radar.

Hybrid models, at least for most dealers, simply aren't selling. Some dealers are pretty stubborn about holding prices but if you shop a bit you can get some steep discounts. When I look at CarJoJo, which claims to list time on lot, you see lots of long-term residents in the hybrid section. I'm pretty sure I could get an Accord Hybrid Touring (retail $36K) for under $30K, except there's not enough headroom for me. A few models seem to hold, like the RAV4 hybrid, but they often don't pay for themselves relative to the price premium, especially in the cheap gas states.

So, a hybrid is more than the cost of a regular car, in many but not all cases, but doesn't pay the difference. PHEV are simply the hybrid + tax credits. Pure EV still pretty much require a daily plugin. I'm still looking at the hybrids because of the range and I like quiet but it's a values thing, not a value thing.

PHEVs make a lot of sense for people whose typical daily driving fits within the EV range, so you plug in overnight and only burn gas when you take trips or on the odd day where you're driving much more than usual.

Losing features is a bummer, but since the manufacturers are mostly losing money by selling PHEVs and EVs, it's not surprising to see cost cutting.

Last edited:
The problem is the pricing structure. The price difference between PHEV and Hybrid is almost exactly the tax credit and, sometimes, you lose features, although you do get the diamond lane. And then you have to plugin, somewhere. I live in an apartment, no plugin. There is a single station, free, where I work. The other's require that you pay and when you only get 20 something miles per plugin, well, it's effectively more expensive than a hybrid and gas.

Pure EV vehicles are a different topic and I really now nothing about them as they aren't on my radar.

Hybrid models, at least for most dealers, simply aren't selling. Some dealers are pretty stubborn about holding prices but if you shop a bit you can get some steep discounts. When I look at CarJoJo, which claims to list time on lot, you see lots of long-term residents in the hybrid section. I'm pretty sure I could get an Accord Hybrid Touring (retail $36K) for under $30K, except there's not enough headroom for me. A few models seem to hold, like the RAV4 hybrid, but they often don't pay for themselves relative to the price premium, especially in the cheap gas states.

So, a hybrid is more than the cost of a regular car, in many but not all cases, but doesn't pay the difference. PHEV are simply the hybrid + tax credits. Pure EV still pretty much require a daily plugin. I'm still looking at the hybrids because of the range and I like quiet but it's a values thing, not a value thing.

Looks like we'll have to wait for the forthcoming legislation before people understand that it isn't about price and it isn't about economy, it's about emissions.

Looks like we'll have to wait for the forthcoming legislation before people understand that it isn't about price and it isn't about economy, it's about emissions.

OK, but the math still needs to be, kind of, mostly, there. As well as the convenience. For me I simple don't have the resources to easily plug-in. I'd, literally have to run an extension cord over my deck and down to the car to change in my apartment. A full charge at work would take about 3 hours and I'd have to park a ways, not a long ways, but a ways away from where I normally do, then go get the car after it was charged so someone else could charge. There are two options, one is free, the other paid, and the paid is probably more than the gas.

And you have to do this every damn day.

On paper, my commute is perfect for it, 20 miles, but the practicalities of PHEV simply aren't there, for me, and I suspect not really for most people. A hybrid, and there are a couple of pretty good one's now beyond the Prius, are a lot more viable. Of course, you can just run the PHEV as a hybrid and plugin when you get the rare chance.

What bickering. If you don't want a diesel, don't buy it. If it doesn't sell, Mazda won't be ruined.
If it was available, I'd have bought one, assuming the economics works out. Most hybrids of a few years ago would not pay for themselves in the life of the car.

What bickering. If you don't want a diesel, don't buy it. If it doesn't sell, Mazda won't be ruined.
If it was available, I'd have bought one, assuming the economics works out. Most hybrids of a few years ago would not pay for themselves in the life of the car.

I generally agree with your sentiment, although, as has been pointed out. There are benefits to the diesel beyond fuel economy. My biggest beef with the 2017 is that the engine feels weak to me when it has to rev up past 5K rpm if one wants to briskly accelerate from rest. It makes the car feel under-powered to me coming from a V6 sedan. I think the low end torque of the diesel will give back the feeling that i don't have to strain the car to accelerate in daily driving.

The fact that it will probably pay for itself in fuel savings, and provide other benefits like a longer cruising range between fill-ups, are bonus.

OK, but the math still needs to be, kind of, mostly, there. As well as the convenience. For me I simple don't have the resources to easily plug-in. I'd, literally have to run an extension cord over my deck and down to the car to change in my apartment. A full charge at work would take about 3 hours and I'd have to park a ways, not a long ways, but a ways away from where I normally do, then go get the car after it was charged so someone else could charge. There are two options, one is free, the other paid, and the paid is probably more than the gas.

And you have to do this every damn day.

On paper, my commute is perfect for it, 20 miles, but the practicalities of PHEV simply aren't there, for me, and I suspect not really for most people. A hybrid, and there are a couple of pretty good one's now beyond the Prius, are a lot more viable. Of course, you can just run the PHEV as a hybrid and plugin when you get the rare chance.

I see what you are saying but PHEVs and hybrids are different. A PHEV runs on batteries and the hybrid is a battery assisted combustion engine.

Hi Guys. I just joined this forum as I am very interested in the CX-5 diesel that was announced a while ago. There hasn't been much chatter from Mazda lately and I hope that it is really happening. The latest schedule was supposed to be around the fall of this year. Is there any news lately and is there any possibility that this will not happen at all. I have a VW TDI that is being sold back to VW but I want to time it to coincide with the launch of Mazda's diesel product.

[
Hi Guys. I just joined this forum as I am very interested in the CX-5 diesel that was announced a while ago. There hasn't been much chatter from Mazda lately and I hope that it is really happening. The latest schedule was supposed to be around the fall of this year. Is there any news lately and is there any possibility that this will not happen at all. I have a VW TDI that is being sold back to VW but I want to time it to coincide with the launch of Mazda's diesel product.

They won't commit but various sources seem to think in the fall. As you are already a diesel head I've attached a couple of PDFs you might find interesting.

View attachment 216933

View attachment 216934

Thx, Anchorman.

From looking at Australia pricing, diesel is priced roughly $2500. (USD equivalent) premium at MSRP.

I'm hoping that Mazda will give the diesel a higher lease Residual and competitive Money Factor, compared to the gas CX-5 GT. I haven't found any Residual or Money Factor info from a geo where it's presently sold.

I need to replace my wife's SUV between now and end-of-year, and I'm guessing she'll want it done before the Holidays.

Does anyone have an idea of when Mazda will roll their model year to 2018? Some brand's financial services set a higher Residual in the early months of a model year "change". Is it Chase that runs Mazda's leasing?

Does anyone have an idea of when Mazda will roll their model year to 2018? Some brand's financial services set a higher Residual in the early months of a model year "change". Is it Chase that runs Mazda's leasing?

Could be around the time the diesel is released later this year (uhm)

Agree, probably November.
Yes, Chase Financing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

CX-5 (general, nothing model specific)

"2017 Final orders 9/30

2018 Initial orders 10/28/17 Production Start November, 2017

Subject to change"

Looking back, the initial order date for the 2017 was 2/01, and these showed up at dealers in early April. So extrapolating, the 2018 models maybe late December, or more likely Jan???

Maybe they'll give a diesel model a 2018 moniker, if they arrive in Nov/Dec.

Last edited:
I've heard a few sources say the Diesel might be labeled as a 2018.
Hopefully we'll know in the next few months.

^^I'll be very surprised if it isn't..and if something favorable doesn't happen in terms of coverages you heard it hear first ppl:)

Last edited:
Back