US Diesel's big splash introduction

What is "signature" supposed to entail?

Signature in CX-9 is the highest trim above GT. I think it has wood and illuminated wing accessory - the lighted smile grille at night + other features.

Yeah frame etc would be the limiting factor. Diesel will just make it a better tool for towing (within it's limits).

Still, it's rated at 4000lbs for towing elsewhere in the world if I recall. I would hope they'd grant something in the 3000-3500lb +/- range for us poor North Americans but I'm not holding my breath that they up the present 2000lb rate.

That's still roughly the max I'll likely be towing at anyway but it would be nice to not feel like I'm 'breaking rules' towing 2200-2500 once in a while...(rolleyes)

Both petrol and diesel here are towing rated ~ 1800kg (3968lbs)

So my guess is since your petrol is rated at 2000lbs, more than likely (hope I am wrong) your diesel will be rated the same.

Yup, hence why I'm not holding my breath.

I'm just not going to feel terribly bad pushing my tow weight up past 2000lbs (but well under 4000) on the rare occasion it happens.

Be nice if North America wasn't so bass-ackwards on tow ratings though.

Yup, hence why I'm not holding my breath.

I'm just not going to feel terribly bad pushing my tow weight up past 2000lbs (but well under 4000) on the rare occasion it happens.

Be nice if North America wasn't so bass-ackwards on tow ratings though.

Maybe Mazda is being conservative there because of your legislative requirements?

Conspiracy theory, maybe they are keeping tow ratings low on other vehicles in North America so people will buy more trucks.

In any case, I can't wait to test drive one. EPA is taking its time with the CX-5. They are just probably just making sure Mazda is not cheating emissions with the diesel engine on the CX-5.

Surely weight and wheelbase of the vehicle have nothing to do with it. You better get a really good weight distribution hitch.

Towing weights are low due to assumption they would be towed at 75 mpg or 80-85 mph. That is stupid but it could also be due to immense love with Trucks. Specially here in Texas.

Towing weights are low due to assumption they would be towed at 75 mpg or 80-85 mph. That is stupid but it could also be due to immense love with Trucks. Specially here in Texas.

Translation: Americans aren't very smart. Just Kidding... not really....

Fact: there are a lot of dumb Americans.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Conspiracy theory, maybe they are keeping tow ratings low on other vehicles in North America so people will buy more trucks.

In any case, I can't wait to test drive one. EPA is taking its time with the CX-5. They are just probably just making sure Mazda is not cheating emissions with the diesel engine on the CX-5.
Maybe they are being extra cautious on account of the fear of potential litigation if they state one thing and then something happens (uhm)

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

It's not one thing IMO. I'd not be surprised if that ^^^ contributes to it, especially from American automakers (and I wouldn't be surprised if they've even lobbied for something along those lines).

But there's also less driver training, higher speed limits, different trailer design/tongue weights etc, etc.

There's also the fact that the USA in particular is EXTREMELY litigious.

That said, I wouldn't feel the slightest bit bad if you have towing experience (including knowledge of proper loading/weight distribution and tongue weights), a proper setup (including trailer brakes and weight distributing hitch where applicable), stay closer to 60MPH/100KPH etc with towing closer to European/Australian limits with the CX5. The vehicle's more than capable IMO. Particularly when we get the diesel.

It's got vast amounts​ of torque across the region range making it more than capable of towing with ease.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

As a former Prius owner (my wife's former ride), I disagree hybrids are the future. They are but a temporary stage until we can get something better.
Many Prius owners at the time considered the vehicle because it gave them access to the carpool/diamond lane. Same thing is happening now with the EVs. However, overall there is a low adoption rate and most people still get traditional gas engine vehicles.

Currently it seems EVs will become the future. However, diesel engines can run on bio-diesel, which could be completely renewable. I am not talking about using used fryer oil, but on dedicated infrastructure. Will it happen? Currently does not look like it, but it is possible, see this YouTube tech-talk.

The 2.5T in the CX-5 would be great, only that it would not get great fuel economy. Specifically this 2.5T was tuned for low-end torque and fuel economy and to enhance drivability. It is not a traditional turbo which is all about sporty driving and, in essence, it is more like the 2.2D than a traditional turbo, with fast falling torque and high RPM.

Not sure what the price premium will be for a 2.2D, which definitely matters, but should the 2.5T be priced the same, it seems that the really minor inconveniences of adding DEF and filling with a diesel pump will be just a minor detraction to an engine with better drivability and much better fuel economy.

Sure, some people will not get it, but it is probably an easier sell than a hybrid or an EV. Some Americans despise hybrids/EVs but will happily get a diesel.
When I was thinking of getting the CX-5, I wished the diesel would be available as a choice and was more excited with it than with a turbo Escape or Forester, with their low fuel economy.

As a former Prius owner (my wife's former ride), I disagree hybrids are the future. They are but a temporary stage until we can get something better.
Many Prius owners at the time considered the vehicle because it gave them access to the carpool/diamond lane. Same thing is happening now with the EVs. However, overall there is a low adoption rate and most people still get traditional gas engine vehicles.

Currently it seems EVs will become the future. However, diesel engines can run on bio-diesel, which could be completely renewable. I am not talking about using used fryer oil, but on dedicated infrastructure. Will it happen? Currently does not look like it, but it is possible, see this YouTube tech-talk.

The 2.5T in the CX-5 would be great, only that it would not get great fuel economy. Specifically this 2.5T was tuned for low-end torque and fuel economy and to enhance drivability. It is not a traditional turbo which is all about sporty driving and, in essence, it is more like the 2.2D than a traditional turbo, with fast falling torque and high RPM.

Not sure what the price premium will be for a 2.2D, which definitely matters, but should the 2.5T be priced the same, it seems that the really minor inconveniences of adding DEF and filling with a diesel pump will be just a minor detraction to an engine with better drivability and much better fuel economy.

Sure, some people will not get it, but it is probably an easier sell than a hybrid or an EV. Some Americans despise hybrids/EVs but will happily get a diesel.
When I was thinking of getting the CX-5, I wished the diesel would be available as a choice and was more excited with it than with a turbo Escape or Forester, with their low fuel economy.

Why get a prius when the Mirage gets 55mpg and has aftermarket support?

Back