Updating TomTom

Today I tried, for the first time, to update my SD card from APP= 10.815 and MAP: 890.420 to the latest APP: 10.817 and MAP: 900.4615.
The MAP update worked fine, but after copying the APP from the computer to the SD card, at the end, TOM TOM HOME crashed.
I repeated this procedure at least 10 times with the same results.
Now this is what happens:
Tom Tom HOME Info shows: App: 10.815 Map: 900.4615
The CS-5 Device shows exactly the same info.
But the Configuration file in the SD Card shows App: 10.817

I know this does't make too much sense, but it's the way it is.

Any comments anyone? Any other way to identify what App is installed?

I would try a reset - turn off the car, wait about 15 secs, remove the SD card. Then reinsert the card and turn on the car again. With any luck it will copy the SD's config to the device.

Thank you Sally, without realizing it, it did a reset by doing what you indicated and now it works fine.
Still my opinion about Tom Tom Home is very low, it crashed when I was trying to buy a one year map suport for $63 as well as every time I was updating the App.
I won't buy the map updates until I decide how I will save my favorites.

Thank you Sally, without realizing it, it did a reset by doing what you indicated and now it works fine.
Still my opinion about Tom Tom Home is very low, it crashed when I was trying to buy a one year map suport for $63 as well as every time I was updating the App.
I won't buy the map updates until I decide how I will save my favorites.

If you have any antivirus or malware running, I would turn that off when doing updates. That could cause the symptoms you describe. Also, be sure your SD card is inserted into your computer directly, if possible, and not via any hub.

As far as saving your favorites, this article has some good info on the advantages of POIs over Favorites. I've had my car (and therefore TomTom) less than a month so I'm still not sure exactly the best way to approach some of this. For now I created a POI category and added some of my Favorites that I know I want to keep to it.

Today I was able to update my map to v905.4850 and I'm also building a _Favorites POI folder but I have to get used to POIs instead of Favorites.
I built my _Favorites using POIedit, I'll see how it works out

I have a week to do this update bf the 60 days run out. Hope my 5 yr old Dell laptop doesn't crash while updating the SD card.

Map Update to 905 is now available, updating my sd card as I type this. 2.5gig is the update.

Either the dealer activated the navi bf I bought the car or the 60 day upgrade isn't a available.
Oh well, not sure if the updated maps changed any roads around me anyways. Will prob update once I notice I'm driving on grass.

Either the dealer activated the navi bf I bought the car or the 60 day upgrade isn't a available.
Oh well, not sure if the updated maps changed any roads around me anyways. Will prob update once I notice I'm driving on grass.
Did you select 'Use Latest Map Guarantee' in TomTom Home tools menu? If not, try it.

Last edited:
Today I was able to update my map to v905.4850 and I'm also building a _Favorites POI folder but I have to get used to POIs instead of Favorites.
I built my _Favorites using POIedit, I'll see how it works out

Not sure what you're using, but I found this POI editor to be the easiest to use. When you start it up, press F5 and it brings up Google maps in the left pane. You can easily search and add any POIs. Make a 24x24 bmp of the same name as your ov2 file, put them in the USA_Canada folder, and you have a personalized icon for your POIs.

Did you select 'Use Latest Map Guarantee' in TomTom Home tools menu? If not, try it.
Yes, it's downloading the latest map now & active for 90 days. Thanks!! I guess I didn't follow instruction too well the first time.

Ok, I followed these instructions to clear the map from my PC and from the memory card and it worked.

THANK YOU!!! I was trying to download the maps, and fell asleep. Little did I know, Windows Updates installed and rebooted my computer in the middle of the update. I just KNEW I was screwed, and would have to make a trip to the dealership! Thanks to your detailed instructions, I was able to complete my download successfully!

I was having the problem with 10.817 being installed on top of 10.817 ad infinitum. Turns out that *after* the screen that shows the SD slot in the car finishes copying the update, you need to power up the car to let the navigation system unpack/install-for-real the new software. This is indicated by a sort of startup screen that is black with a TomTom logo that lasts long enough to make you think maybe it died. But then it will (hopefully!) finally boot up and make you okay the legalese, ask about sharing your use, etc.

Without this step, the Tom Tom Home software will keep downloading the same version of the NB1 application and copying it to the SD card.

After the update, do I need to take the SD card out again and connect it to PC again?

I just completed the update. The TT Home program says, to Finish Application, put the SD card back in the device (the car) and start it up. Then power it down, remove the SD card, put it back in the computer's SD reader, "and wait a few minutes for Home to recognize your memory card automatically." Do I need to do this last step? Or does it apply to the portable Navs? NOTHING ABOUT IT IN THE MANUAL! Also, what's the point of this step? Thanks!

I just completed the update. The TT Home program says, to Finish Application, put the SD card back in the device (the car) and start it up. Then power it down, remove the SD card, put it back in the computer's SD reader, "and wait a few minutes for Home to recognize your memory card automatically." Do I need to do this last step? Or does it apply to the portable Navs? NOTHING ABOUT IT IN THE MANUAL! Also, what's the point of this step? Thanks!

Yeah don't worry about that. Just update and when it's done updating don't take the card out yet until the software re-reads the card and is ready. When you're done, click the eject button close the program then take the card out and take it to your car and you're done.

There is a new map just released Version 9.10 available.

Last edited:
There is a new map just released Version 9.05 available.

I'm in the USA too, and Mine is newer. 9.10 been like that for several months.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20130519_140953.jpg
    IMG_20130519_140953.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 398
Back