Ugh...Tired of seeing the CX-5 everywhere

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
There were 4 cars I was looking at when I bought my 2016. One of the (many) reasons I bought the Mazda is because... you don't see them everywhere. I like not seeing my car everywhere. I like not having the #1 selling car.. in fact I would avoid the #1 selling car. Just for that reason.
And now... 7 years later... they are EVERYWHERE. My god... Counting mine there are 3 in my small office parking lot right now. No other car has 2. We were driving on the freeway a few days ago and I kid you not I was at one point in a cluster of 2 other 5's and a CX-3. I don't know about the rest of the world... but I would bet you paychecks that the CX5 is hands down the #1 selling crossover in NE Ohio.
There are 8 Mazda dealers within 100 miles of me, as if I needed to prove it. :D

How popular is Mazda where you live?

it is a popular car, no doubt, but not as popular as my old Honda Accord. Back in the day when the I-405 in LA was 4 lanes, we had four Nice Blue Honda Accords lined up across all four lanes. Never had that with the CX-5, much less all the same color and same generation.

The CX-5 saved Mazda. Before that car came out, as much as we hate to admit it, they were circling the drain.

Oh sure, the MZ3 was doing okay, but still a distant 3rd behind the competing Civic and Corolla. Certainly not enough sales to keep the brand alive. And the Miata, even though it's the most popular sports car of all time, it still caters to a very niche market.

I'm not tired of seeing so many CX-5! I've always thought the 2nd gen was the best looking compact crossover even if I was not in the market for one back then. We have a large Mazda dealer near my place and Mazda has always been very popular in my area as people here enjoy small vehicles that drive well (VW also sells well in my area for the same reasons). Just walking down a few streets from my home, I can see lots of CX-5 in various colors, as many if not more than CRV, RAV4 and Rogue.

It's interesting, my Mother-in-law (NOT to be confused with Malfunction-Indicator-Light :D) lives in central Florida near Sebring (of the races fame), so we go down there frequently to stay. The nearest Mazda dealer is 1 1/2 HOURS away! Very few CX-5's around there.

When I first bought my first CX-5 in April 2015 (was a 2016 CX-5) I saw maybe one CX-5 for every 15 CR-V's. When we bought another in 2019 (was a 2019 GTR) I saw maybe 1 CX-5 for every 10 CR-V's.
Now in 2022 I see 1 CX-5 for every 6 CR-V's. There seems to be a lot more CX-5's on the road which is a good thing for Mazda. Probably be more if they could get them but the 2 dealers near me have basically empty lots and showrooms.

If you back out all of the red and white versions there goes over half of your CX-5 sightings. I seldom see any Machine Grays or Deep Crystal Blues and very few black ones even though Mazda produces quite a few of that color. The Eternal Blue, although rare, is usually offered in the non-turbo models and I've never come across another one in the new Signature trim with the matching blue cladding... one of the reasons we had to wait many months to receive ours. After seeing ourselves come and go daily while driving our 2020 red GT, the rarity of the blue Signature is a nice change.

IMG_1733.jpg

Took this picture at work. There is a fourth one that I couldn't take a picture of. We're a team of 20, and we have 4 CX-5s.
I see A LOT of CX-5s around, and I like it!
View attachment 312539
That's because all the CR-V's are being stolen from Canada. :)

We went from a CR-V to the CX-5 and couldn't be happier. I can't remember how many "other people's" CR-V's I mistook for ours. I do agree that there are more CX-5's today in my area, than there was 3 years ago. I also think there are more CR-V's and the other competition, too. Out with the old, in with the new...

I got the deep crystal blue mica. Depending on the light, sometimes it looks black..sometimes it looks dark blue with a little glimmer. Not very common. I parked in a grocery store to let my wife go inside.. When I looked over at the car next to me. it was the exact same car! hahaaa.. The CX-5 is definitely a popular one.

The other day I was driving home and as I was making a right turn on to my street, there was another CX-5 waiting to turn left at the light and a third about to turn right.

Last edited:
I see a lot of CX-5s around here too. I'm happy to report that I see VERY few MX-5s in my area, I'm happy about that at least.

Why the Miata hate? I love those cars!
I haven't seen an MX-3 or MX-6 in a while. Or a Millenia, either. Or a 323, 626, 929, RX-2, RX-3, GLC, Sundowner, B2000/2200/2600 or RX-7, either. I've never seen a Rotary truck or Cosmo.

Why the Miata hate? I love those cars!
I haven't seen an MX-3 or MX-6 in a while. Or a Millenia, either. Or a 323, 626, 929, RX-2, RX-3, GLC, Sundowner, B2000/2200/2600 or RX-7, either. I've never seen a Rotary truck or Cosmo.

Did you happen to see that I own a Miata? (Look to the left on this page, just under my name)

You got me wrong man! I LOVE my MX-5, love it. Best car that I've ever had, fun wise. I'm happy to see so few of them around here because it makes mine that much more special.

I get complements all the time from strangers. Most just say nice car but some don't know that it's a Mazda and ask about it.

Mazda has been growing more popular in my area as well and I do notice more CX-5s on the road. We are on our second and my SIL bought a Carbon Edition based on our experience. Her two cars prior to that were CR-Vs and she was looking for another but no one had one in stock. She now says she is happy they didn't as she likes the CX-5 more. I too am happy to see more on the road. That means Mazda has more money to keep the MX-5 alive. :)

Now for the more important question. For those that see more CX-5s in their areas, do you wave? :ROFLMAO:

Mazda has been growing more popular in my area as well and I do notice more CX-5s on the road. We are on our second and my SIL bought a Carbon Edition based on our experience. Her two cars prior to that were CR-Vs and she was looking for another but no one had one in stock. She now says she is happy they didn't as she likes the CX-5 more. I too am happy to see more on the road. That means Mazda has more money to keep the MX-5 alive. :)

Now for the more important question. For those that see more CX-5s in their areas, do you wave? :ROFLMAO:

No waving for me while in the CX. The MX is another story.

Like I said above, there's not a lot of MX-5s around here but plenty of other convertibles. I'll wave at the Miatas and the other brands of convertibles as well. I don't make a habit of it though, had enough of that while riding my motorcycle.

I occasionally wave. Unless it's a woman. Not to be sexist or anything. Just afraid a woman might misunderstand the wave. or the nod. Although I did speak to a woman in a CX5 at a light once. Cool story I shared once before.
Pull up to a light and saw a woman driving a Mazda CX5. Had temp tags. Nice day, windows were down. It was a 17 or better.
"Nice car" I say... "Do you love it?"
"I do! It's so quiet and handles really well!"
"Yea, they're great cars!"
"Yea, I didn't love paying extra for this red but it is so pretty!"
Then she says... "Do you have one?"
"Yea, this one is mine. It's the older generation one though..."
She has a puzzled look on her face...
Light change... "Have a good one!"
"You too!"
She turns right, I go straight and then realize why the odd look... I was driving my mother in laws Jeep! :D

Back