Turbo Question

Three25

:
2003 MP5 Turbo
Hey! The shop that's installing the turbo for my 03 MP5 and asked if i could post a threadon the forum to ask a question for them. On the turbo header, there's a male fitting where you would put the line from the EGR, but they also told me that there line also has a male fitting. Is there some sort of adapter i need? It's a LOG Manifold if that helps anyone.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey! The shop that's installing the turbo for my 03 MP5 and asked if i could post a threadon the forum to ask a question for them. On the turbo header, there's a male fitting where you would put the line from the EGR, but they also told me that there line also has a male fitting. Is there some sort of adapter i need? It's a LOG Manifold if that helps anyone.

Thanks!
a pic might help? your post isn't making sense to me?

he is saying that the shop is telling him that the egr pipe is a male fitting and so is inlet. I'm not sure about this. what log manifold do you have? though only hibooost had the log manifold ....pictures needed. if it's true though, why would the shop need us to tell them? it'll obviously need an adapter then....maybe a mess-up? not sure

I went to go look at it but my camera was also low on battery. I'll try to describe it my best though.

The OEM Manifold has a female adapter with the threads going inside the manifold. The LOG Manifold I have right now has a male fitting go outwards about an inch, instead of inwards. The male fitting is the exact same size coming off the Manifold, as it is the EGR. The only thing i could think possible, is to use the nut off of the male fitting on the EGR as an adapter of some sort. If i get a chance i'll try to go up and take some pictures, I was just hoping someone else would've been in the same situation and has a solution.

Alright so i took a few pictures. The first and the last ones are the pictures of the installed LOG manifold. It has a male fitting going out towards the EGR. The EGR also has the male fitting. The second picture is my OEM Manifold.

Again, it's a 03 MP5 2.0

I hope someone can please help. If there's any kind of adapter, or a way to rig it. Thanks!

Brandon

Attachments

• 0904071057.jpg
    0904071057.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 686
  • 0904071057a.jpg
    0904071057a.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 673
  • 0904071059.jpg
    0904071059.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 682
Last edited:
Umm...I don't believe that the stock manifold ever had female threads. What it looks like to me is that the fitting on the stock exhaust manifold has been pulled out and is still stuck in the end of the nut on the EGR pipe itself. In the last pic you posted...the fitting on the right should just be a nut with nothing in it. I think the EGR bung seized itself in the nut and instead of just unthreading the nut it pulled the whole bung out of the manifold. Just get that bung out of the nut and everything should thread right up.

He is right. They pulled the whole bolt from the stock manifold. That needs to be removed from the nut off the EGR tube. Never seen anyone do that before...:rolleyes:

Haha. I told them. Whew, that's a weight off my chest. Going turbo's full of suprises (loser)

Thanks for your help though! Hopefully it'll be done tonight. They're welding the piping and wiring the MPI Tuner right now :)

Thanks!

Brandon

"We are going to take another look at it... However it looks like its flared so I dont believe it comes out... Will let you know when we get the answer..."

that's the message he just sent me. any input anyone? (huh)

What shop is doing it?

ProMotion Tuning. His RX-8 was featured in Modified Mag.

The nut doesn't come off the pipe because the pipe is flared, but the bung should come out of the nut. It might take a dremel and some time. It's probably seized in there so it's not going to come out easy.

Clamp the threaded part in a vice REAL tight (like, hand of Christ himself tight) and pipe wrench on the nut. Failing that, a new pipe is only $32 at the dealer...

Who is tuning the MPI? This is not just a plug and play. It needs to be tuned to your set up. So DON'T go stompin on the car without getting her tuned first.

Haha. I told them. Whew, that's a weight off my chest. Going turbo's full of suprises (loser)

Thanks for your help though! Hopefully it'll be done tonight. They're welding the piping and wiring the MPI Tuner right now :)

Thanks!

Brandon

Well, we can into some more problems. First they found a kink in the oil-return line, and they're currently working on getting that out. They also saw that the placement of the 02 Sensor rubs agains the trans from the downpipe and is a potential fire hazard. They were talking about plugging the current hole, and just relocating it and extending the wires.

BUT! The intercooler is mounted and the charge pipes are fabricated. I'll take some pictures tonight of the progress.

Back