trying to go from auto to man

pikolo83

:
03 Mazda Protege 5
anyone know a good place to buy a manual transmission and all components to do a tranny swap? i have an auto and would like to swap it out for a manual. if not, i may just beef up the auto. don't really wnat to though. iknow i should have bought a manual in the first place, but then i could not drive a manual. any help would be nice. thanks! sorry if a stupid question! new to the p5 world.

Last edited:
pikolo83 said:
anyone know a good place to buy a manual transmission and all components to do a tranny swap? i have an auto and would like to swap it out for a manual. if not, i may just beef up the auto. don't really wnat to though. iknow i should have bought a manual in the first place, but then i could not drive a manual. any help would be nice. thanks! sorry if a stupid question! new to the p5 world.
i want to do the same thing.

Basically, its a costly b**** to do it...

Right now MackDadam is selling a manual LX sedan for like 1500...has like 17k on it.

I think thats a really good opportunity to do the swap cause you really cant be missing any parts.

thats what i wanted to do...i just have nowhere to do it, nor do i have any idea on how to do it

pikolo83 said:
tried, too much left to pay off. i'll be in the hole further then i already am.

Seems funny to drop a lot of $$$ into this, only to lower the resale value and get further in debt...Pay off the car first, do "upgrades" later.

"resale value" doesn't really apply to heavily modified cars.

but in essence.. just but a car with a smashed up rear end.. and you'll have everything you need... it's a LOT of parts. i've looked into it a lot.

if you want to boost, it's actually cheaper to deal with Lentech and beef up your tranny to deal with mass power... (easy for me, only 1 hour away by car) they're SMART guys and know a fair bit about Protege trannies (i made them work for me when i was looking at beefing up)

edit: by "cheaper" i mean like $1000+ in your pocket "cheaper"

this really, i mean really would be alot of work. its not as simple as unbolting one trans, bolting up another and sticking an extra pedal under the steering column. lots of piddly little details.

Yeah just trade in the auto for the manual. Or deal with it. If you trade or buy parts/install, then you're spending a buttload of money. Take option three (deal with it). It's less costly, AND you get to keep your warranty (imagine what mazda would say if you showed up to the dealer w/a manual tranny lol)

LZ

yes in the future i see the word 'msp'. :D :)

to all noobie car buyers that like modding your car don't get auto because you'll be 'left out' at the turbo parties.

why does everyone think this is the hardest project evar...its STRAIGHT foward, unbolt the auto, replace it with all the manual parts, theres already a hole cut out for the clutch pedal(which woulda been the hardest part IMO to do)...cost me roughly 500 bucks for ALL the parts ripped off a wrecked protege.

for sure..
there's only a couple people that have boosted their ATx.. it's not THAT much more than a 5spd, cuz you'd have to buy an aftermarket clutch/flywheel - and in the ATx, you just need to replace/reinforce the the torque converter and valve body. you can do them one at a time - which is easier on the pocket...

I'm always tempted to rebuild both over time... but then i'd have a whole NA setup, and i'd wanna go turbo...

time will tell

mp5jeff said:
why does everyone think this is the hardest project evar...its STRAIGHT foward, unbolt the auto, replace it with all the manual parts, theres already a hole cut out for the clutch pedal(which woulda been the hardest part IMO to do)...cost me roughly 500 bucks for ALL the parts ripped off a wrecked protege.

do you have a how-to on this one??

everybody i've spoken to has said there's LOTS more to the switch.

it was done without the help of a lift also, if you have access to a lift, it should be easy. The only problem i ran into was that the axles i bought from DSS were longer then the stock axles, and they were like hitting the tranny casing when i turned ONLY because the car was lowered about 5 inches, so i put the stock springs on and walaa problem went away.

dosle said:
i've never seen figures that low associated with a swap before, but cool.

?? not sure where people are getting their quotes, i got more then 1 quote for 400-600 dollars for all the parts needed...unless someone is going to mazda or something..

Back