6speed swap?

Does anyone know if Mazda makes a 6speed manual tranny that can be swapped into a manual P5 without too much trouble??

I spend a lot of time commuting on the highway and I think one more (higher) gear would significantly improve fuel economy and decrease wear.

thanks
Jeff B

Last edited:
I'm not sure about a complete transmission swap, but you can swap out the 5th gear set from a 626 into your transmission if you are inclined to do it.

You don't need to remove the transmission to do it.
You just remove the cover on the side of the transmission and swap the gears.

That reduces your RPMs in fifth gear.
The 626 has taller a gear set for 5th gear.

Think about how long it would take and how many miles of cruising in 5th it is going to take just to recoupe the expense of the swap. Odds are you are already at high mileage and not going to keep the car for many years. I kept mine for over 10 years and can't imagine I spent more than a tank of gas extra in that time by revving a bit high on the freeway compared to having a longer 5th.

You would probably end up with more money in pocket working a few hours of overtime VS paying for the gear and spending your time to do the swap. You could always just drive slower or take some weight out of the car to achieve the same effect. Taking weight out also improves every aspect of performance driving dynamics.

Just something to think about.

If you haven't already, I suppose you could look at going to the next-higher tire size. For example, if you're on the 195/50's, you could go to 205/50's. Yes, that would impact your performance in the low gears, but it's easier than a transmission/fifth-gear swap (unless you're just looking for a project). I'm saying that as someone who would *love* a taller fifth gear. You could look at an MP3 ECU and premium gas to offset any missing performance in those low gears if it bothers you. Anyway, just throwing stuff out there...

It's not just about recuperating the cost of gas, either. The high engine RPMs at 75MPH were always disconcerting for me. With my "new" JDM engine, I now travel at 60-65MPH in the slow lane. I don't want any more oil consumption due to gunked-up oil rings that PCB has shown in his posts. :)

A decent set of 17" performance tires + install/balance probably not far off the cost of your JDM engine.

I miss the days when people here were worried about running 250+whp on stock motors.

Now people can't even drive down a road in 5th without ******* up their car? Gunked up oil rings lol Wtf is going on around here?

I miss the days when people here were worried about running 250+whp on stock motors.

Now people can't even drive down a road in 5th without ******* up their car? Gunked up oil rings lol Wtf is going on around here?

Our cars are 20 years old.

If it hasn't rusted out by now, then it's probably clogged up.

Post in thread 'Smoke on cold start' Smoke on cold start
20210627_185134.jpg

I remember a replacement gear set for our 5 speed transmission that cost $7000 USD at the time.

Those days are gone.
Welcome to the junkyard. Lol

Does anyone know if Mazda makes a 5speed manual tranny that can be swapped into a manual P5 without too much trouble?

You can probably find a 5th speed gear set from a 626 for like $50 if you remove it yourself at the wrecker.
If you're prepared to tear into a wreck.

... With my "new" JDM engine, I now travel at 60-65MPH in the slow lane. I don't want any more oil consumption due to gunked-up oil rings that PCB has shown in his posts. :)

I don't think speed or high RPM's has too much to do with seized oil rings.

Changing your oil every 3,000 miles will almost certainly prevent any sludge build-up or seized oil rings.
Once the pistons oil drain holes are clogged, there isn't too much you can do to reverse it.

Driving your car hard does have an impact on the engine evolving into an interference engine though.

Back