Troubling Engine Noise

Stories like that are why I try and do my own oil. I had to take my Sedona in the winter before last because it just would NOT stop raining. Every time I came home off the road and wanted to change it it was raining. Ended up at 7,500 miles on a 5k interval. There is a wal mart a few guys I know work at so I let them do it. Only hiccup was the beauty cover wasn't seated right.

Reactions: pcb
by god mine seems to make the same noise if I am correct on what sound I am picking out of that audio. it's the heat shield on the exhaust. I pressed a screwdriver to mine and it stopped.
I definitely hear the same sound in mine and I can make it stop by pressing that extension onto the shield
Okay I finally got around to listening to your audio clip...and gosh that rattle does sound exactly like mine when you rev it a bit and hold it at that particular RPM. Do you think that's the heatshield rattling?
Dang you're totally right! It's totally the heatshield. To be very clear, not the noise I'm hearing that motivated the creation of this thread. But nevertheless a noise that has annoyed me since I bought the car. Now to figure out how to fix it.

Regarding the actual noise itself, I'm still confused by it. I've been driving the car normally of late and probably have put at least 1k miles on it since the noise started. I've sort of gotten used to it, but It's definitely not getting better or going away. Today after driving for about 20 minutes and well past the car warming up, I parked and could definitely hear the noise. Since my first audio clip was at cold start and there was a lot of rattling over top (thanks INYOURCHAIR for pointing that out 😁), I think it's hard to hear the noise specifically. So I recorded another clip and I've attached it.

It's hard to hear it over the valve and injector noise but it's VERY apparent when you're about 10-20ft away from the car with the hood down. All you hear is that sound, and it sounds sort of like a quiet knock...thus my concern. I feel like I'm beating this to death by now and I'm going crazy listening to sounds that aren't there! But I'm dying to know what it could be.

Attachments

• PXL_20220406_044954337.mp3
    340.9 KB
Okay, I actually hear the noise now , couldn't hear it on the first clip, I re-listened for a sanity check though and re-read the first few posts to see if I missed anything from reading with covid fog. sounds like it's stethoscope time lol. and pulling the belts on this car is a C H O R E. God have I been spoiled with spring loaded belt tensioners. I am thinking bottom end noise, but only MAYBE... it's best to eliminate all you can and avoid the parts cannon method.

Okay, I actually hear the noise now , couldn't hear it on the first clip, I re-listened for a sanity check though and re-read the first few posts to see if I missed anything from reading with covid fog. sounds like it's stethoscope time lol. and pulling the belts on this car is a C H O R E. God have I been spoiled with spring loaded belt tensioners. I am thinking bottom end noise, but only MAYBE... it's best to eliminate all you can and avoid the parts cannon method.
Okay, so I'm not totally crazy and hearing things that aren't there.

It sounds like nothing other than a bottom end noise to me, but all other signs point elsewhere. The sound is obvious at idle but it goes away when driving and the engine sounds great when decelerating, where a knock would usually be most audible I believe.

As I think I've mentioned multiple times earlier, I want to take the serpentine belts off at some point to check if it might be an accessory. The sound is VERY clearly coming from that side of the engine. But like you said, it's a pain! I've done it once and it was more work than I thought it would be.

As far as actual bottom end noises go that aren't rod knock, the only thing I can think of is piston slap. Or maybe it could be something related to the fact that my knock sensor needs to be replaced, though I am doubtful of that one.

I don't know. I'm just going to keep monitoring it for now. There is definitely going to be some overhauling happening this summer, so if nothing else, I'll look into it then.

Was just browsing and found this thread. Guess this didn't age very well...good for my P5 though, which is still running great. I think I'm just hyper-aware of mechanical noises. I honestly don't even notice the noise anymore even though it's definitely still there. I'll just keep doing my 3k mile oil changes and completely warming her up every morning before getting too vigorous with the throttle.

I've acknowledged that this engine is eventually going to go with how hard I drive it sometimes. And how much oil it burns. This will eventually just turn into the "I blew my engine" thread. Hopefully not too soon though.

Was just browsing and found this thread. Guess this didn't age very well...good for my P5 though, which is still running great. I think I'm just hyper-aware of mechanical noises. I honestly don't even notice the noise anymore even though it's definitely still there. I'll just keep doing my 3k mile oil changes and completely warming her up every morning before getting too vigorous with the throttle.

I've acknowledged that this engine is eventually going to go with how hard I drive it sometimes. And how much oil it burns. This will eventually just turn into the "I blew my engine" thread. Hopefully not too soon though.

I have one last a good 60k+ miles after it started burning 3-4qts of oil per 3500 miles. It was still running at 343k miles when I junked it. It was going into limp mode if I took it up to 80mph for more than a few minutes.

If you check the oil every time you get gas and do an oil change every 3500 miles it will last surprisingly long.

Switch to 10w40 high mileage in the summer and 5w40 high mileage in the winter will help a little bit (I'd recomend this for anyone that has over 200k miles or is burning more than a qt every 3000 miles).

I have one last a good 60k+ miles after it started burning 3-4qts of oil per 3500 miles. It was still running at 343k miles when I junked it. It was going into limp mode if I took it up to 80mph for more than a few minutes.

If you check the oil every time you get gas and do an oil change every 3500 miles it will last surprisingly long.

Switch to 10w40 high mileage in the summer and 5w40 high mileage in the winter will help a little bit (I'd recomend this for anyone that has over 200k miles or is burning more than a qt every 3000 miles).
Interesting. I'm definitely going through at least a few quarts of oil between oil changes but it's been like that since I bought it and I'm 45k miles in. Just hit 187k. I do my oil changes at around 3000 miles. I definitely run the car hard but I always let it warm up and always keep the oil full. I also run a decent quality 626 v6 filter which is larger in capacity.

I will try your suggestions with oil, I've been wanting to play around with that for a while. Any suggestions on synthetic/synthetic blend/non-synthetic? I use 5w30 synth-blend year around, but the 40-weight would increase viscosity at temp, yes?

I have also had a brief rattle on cold start since I bought the car and I think it's oil related because I've noticed it's often quiet if I add oil right before starting. Wonder if playing around with oils would help that at all.

Back