Transmission Shifting 5th to 6th Getting on Highway

I have observed on my wife's 2016 CX-5 that when getting up to speed on a highway, the car sometimes does not shift into 6th gear as quickly as it appears it should. Even when I level out the speed, the shift sometimes does not happen. I can do it manually, and when I do that it is a smooth transition. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Is engine/trans warmed up? If so, transmission grade logic can often hold lower gear while merging on highway if inclined on-ramp.

I've noticed this in other makes as well, transmissions too smart for their own good.

Is engine/trans warmed up? If so, transmission grade logic can often hold lower gear while merging on highway if inclined on-ramp.

I've noticed this in other makes as well, transmissions too smart for their own good.
My Nissans did this as well. Held lower gear until warmed up.

Common transmission programming . Parameters have to be met before shifting into overdrive. Engine temp above a certain minimum, vehicle above a certain speed and engine load below a certain minimum. There may be other criteria.
Reminds me of similar criteria that had to be met before the EGR valve would receive a command to open.

I have observed on my wife's 2016 CX-5 that when getting up to speed on a highway, the car sometimes does not shift into 6th gear as quickly as it appears it should. Even when I level out the speed, the shift sometimes does not happen. I can do it manually, and when I do that it is a smooth transition. Anyone else have this happen to them?
If this observation only starts happening recently, or if you feel this’s a “behavior change” on her transmission, you should be worried. How many miles on her 2016 CX-5? And have you checked the ATF level or has the ATF ever been changed?

I believe the “Sport” mode shouldn’t be the cause as even if you accidentally turned it on, the transmission will fall back to default non-Sport mode each time you re-start the car?

Back