Transmission blown at 72K miles

Can you ask them what VIN range for these "early models" and post it?

Just curious as I have a Jan 2013 dated 2014. Been rock solid 4 1/2 years and 55k miles later, but just curious if this is actually a thing as the only issue I ever heard of with transmissions was early model 2016's.

This was my understanding as well. Definitely a rash of bad parts on some 2015 and 2016 automatic transmissions. The threads I read here indicated that it happened very early, some as early as a few hundred miles, and were acknowledged and addressed by Mazda. Also, the failure mode was a very sudden and abrupt issue. When this guy pops in saying his transmission was making a "whirring" noise at 72K without mentioning any other symptoms, I'm going to assume his fluid level might have been low. Could have been a leak or maybe even slightly under filled at factory. I guess we'll never know. This is precisely why I plan to drop the pan to change the filter and put the correct amount of fresh fluid in it at 50K miles on my currently 45K mile car.

Our 2002 Honda Accord with a 4 cyl engine lost it's transmission at 63K. The V6's were more prone towards the issue but even the smaller engine had the issue.

Frankly, it's one of the only reasons her next car may be a Mazda. Once the promise of the Honda uber-reliability has been shattered it opens the door for other options. Would hate to have the same thing happen to a Mazda.

Can you ask them what VIN range for these "early models" and post it?

Just curious as I have a Jan 2013 dated 2014. Been rock solid 4 1/2 years and 55k miles later, but just curious if this is actually a thing as the only issue I ever heard of with transmissions was early model 2016's.

My 2015 Mazda 6s transmission is operating perfectly fine with about 85k km on the clock. I think it has more to do with how the transmission was broken in when the car was new.

This was my understanding as well. Definitely a rash of bad parts on some 2015 and 2016 automatic transmissions. The threads I read here indicated that it happened very early, some as early as a few hundred miles, and were acknowledged and addressed by Mazda. Also, the failure mode was a very sudden and abrupt issue. When this guy pops in saying his transmission was making a "whirring" noise at 72K without mentioning any other symptoms, I'm going to assume his fluid level might have been low. Could have been a leak or maybe even slightly under filled at factory. I guess we'll never know. This is precisely why I plan to drop the pan to change the filter and put the correct amount of fresh fluid in it at 50K miles on my currently 45K mile car.

Apparently Mazda does underfill fluids from the factory. With that being said, a friend of mine changed his fluid with about 75k Miles on the clock and it wasnt that dirty. I think the optimal time to check your transmission and change the fluid/filter is around 6k Miles.

CX-5 2014 touring AWD with automatic transmission with sudden onset whirring noise . Turns out that transmission is gone and out of warranty. Mazda not inclined to help and a brief online search shows i have lots of company and according to mechanic is related to a defective part in the early release cars that they have seen often at this dealership . Asking 5K to replace. Vroom Vroom

What is OP's Mileage?

If over 60k can you really blame the dealer for not helping? No dealer would. Call Mazda directly. They've been known to help even after warranty. If not then they are not obligated.

If OP just out of nowhere has a blown tranny after 60k miles then he'd be in the minority. The majority of those with issues heard symptoms and got replacement done under warranty. Mazda has shown very little pushback in handling warranty replacement transmissions.

Certified Mazdas include a 7? year 100k mile powertrain warranty.

Going back to the calling Mazda idea. Request for a Good Will repair. This article has some useful tips: http://www.hondaproblems.com/trends/transmission-failure/

A class action lawsuit like Honda had suggested a wide spread defect in their trannys. I don;t recall seeing one for skyactiv tranny's which have been on the market for 7 years now.

Last edited:
As a Honda fan you should be the last person who should be commenting on an Auto company having a transmission problem and not helping its customers out...I guess the class action law suite in 2006 which was brought against Honda for their faulty transmissions in the Odyssey, Pilot, and Accord conveniently escaped your memory...

1-This thread has nothing to do with Honda.

2-Last time I checked Honda isn’t using 11 year old faulty transmissions in their new vehicles, where as with Mazda they are still using this very same transmission 5 year old transmission in the 2017 CX-5. If I were in the market for a new CX-5 there is no way I would get one without an extended warranty.

2-Last time I checked Honda isnt using 11 year old faulty transmissions in their new vehicles, where as with Mazda they are still using this very same transmission 5 year old transmission in the 2017 CX-5. If I were in the market for a new CX-5 there is no way I would get one without an extended warranty.

Last time you checked mustve been quite a long time ago then. Honda is known for their notoriously poorly designed 5 speed units which required a transmission rebuild every 100k Miles.

Mazdas new skyactiv transmission is far better then any 5 speed or CVT garbage that Honda makes and for the most part has been reliable.

Mangochilli, I dont understand why youre still here, or why you cant input anything positive on here. Just go to a damn Honda forum for Christ sake. I feel like youre angry that you cant afford a newer car so this is your way of letting out your discontent.

Last time you checked must’ve been quite a long time ago then. Honda is known for their notoriously poorly designed 5 speed units which required a transmission rebuild every 100k Miles.

Mazdas new skyactiv transmission is far better then any 5 speed or CVT garbage that Honda makes and for the most part has been reliable.

Mangochilli, I don’t understand why you’re still here, or why you can’t input anything positive on here. Just go to a damn Honda forum for Christ sake. I feel like you’re angry that you can’t afford a newer car so this is your way of letting out your discontent.

He has a 2017 CR-V.

I don't get it either. Anyway, just leave him alone, he'll slink away for a few more days.

Really? I had a 1999 V6 Accord that started eating its transmission at 32,000 miles. It was the same trans used in '97 and '98 that failed more often than '99. Didn't realize what it was until after the warranty was up. The Honda replacement was doing it again at ...... 32k miles. And they were still having issues in 2006?

2-Last time I checked Honda isn’t using 11 year old faulty transmissions in their new vehicles, where as with Mazda they are still using this very same transmission 5 year old transmission in the 2017 CX-5. If I were in the market for a new CX-5 there is no way I would get one without an extended warranty.

I agree lets not bring up Honda. I brought up an article which mentioned Honda merely to help the OP in the event he or anyone experiences pushback on transmission repairs. Mazda currently does not have a class action lawsuit so the OP's options are getting a good will discount repair through Mazda or go through a local shop.

What is OP's Mileage?

If over 60k can you really blame the dealer for not helping? No dealer would. Call Mazda directly. They've been known to help even after warranty. If not then they are not obligated.

If OP just out of nowhere has a blown tranny after 60k miles then he'd be in the minority. The majority of those with issues heard symptoms and got replacement done under warranty. Mazda has shown very little pushback in handling warranty replacement transmissions.

Certified Mazdas include a 7? year 100k mile powertrain warranty.

Going back to the calling Mazda idea. Request for a Good Will repair. This article has some useful tips: http://www.hondaproblems.com/trends/transmission-failure/

A class action lawsuit like Honda had suggested a wide spread defect in their trannys. I don;t recall seeing one for skyactiv tranny's which have been on the market for 7 years now.

I agree lets not bring up Honda. I brought up an article which mentioned Honda merely to help the OP in the event he or anyone experiences pushback on transmission repairs. Mazda currently does not have a class action lawsuit so the OP's options are getting a good will discount repair through Mazda or go through a local shop.

Yep, this is great advice.

Edit: To your first question, mileage appears to be 72k, so quite a ways away from 60k...

Frankly, it's one of the only reasons her next car may be a Mazda. Once the promise of the Honda uber-reliability has been shattered it opens the door for other options. Would hate to have the same thing happen to a Mazda.

Honda always trailed Toyota in reliability - in top gear they burned / dropped from 50 ft. / let it drown in an ocean and retrieved a Tacoma and it still was running. Honda was more sportier yet had reliability. In recent years Acura and Honda have been pushed to 12th or 15th in the reliability list by other brands as per CR. Koreans / Toyota family / Mazda / Audi and even some American brands have knocked them out of top 10.
From 09 to 16 Honda sales in Aussie land was destroyed. Mazda 3 alone sells entire Honda lineup in Aus by 3:1. Let that sink in -

Sales of
Accord V6 /4 cyl + Civic + Civic Si + Honda minvan + CRV + Pilot + Oddly funny truck they make =

1/3 of sales of Mazda 3.

There are people on this forum who owned Honda's for decades have switched. Plus Honda styling off late has been very awful.

Did your blow up after you modified the power output or before (sarcasm not intended just intended).

unlikely that maybe 25 or so peaktq/ hp somewhere broke the trans... I like how that's the first thing people ask when I say something but everyone else whos trans craps out under regular driving and regular tune in like 15000 miles get's a pass lol

unlikely that maybe 25 or so peaktq/ hp somewhere broke the trans... I like how that's the first thing people ask when I say something but everyone else whos trans craps out under regular driving and regular tune in like 15000 miles get's a pass lol

Are you back up and running?

Yep, this is great advice.

Edit: To your first question, mileage appears to be 72k, so quite a ways away from 60k...

Yeah that sucks for the OP. I've always been very receptive to changes in my new car's tranny and engines with intent on getting things fixed under warranty. Never had issues on a new: 4-banger accord, 3 VWs, now these two skyactiv Mazdas we have. Been lucky thus far.

Honda always trailed Toyota in reliability - in top gear they burned / dropped from 50 ft. / let it drown in an ocean and retrieved a Tacoma and it still was running. Honda was more sportier yet had reliability. In recent years Acura and Honda have been pushed to 12th or 15th in the reliability list by other brands as per CR. Koreans / Toyota family / Mazda / Audi and even some American brands have knocked them out of top 10.
From 09 to 16 Honda sales in Aussie land was destroyed. Mazda 3 alone sells entire Honda lineup in Aus by 3:1. Let that sink in -

Sales of
Accord V6 /4 cyl + Civic + Civic Si + Honda minvan + CRV + Pilot + Oddly funny truck they make =

1/3 of sales of Mazda 3.

There are people on this forum who owned Honda's for decades have switched. Plus Honda styling off late has been very awful.

2 opinions. 1st, Honda's Achilles heel had always been their transmissions within v6 models. My opinion is their transmissions weren't beefy enough to handle their v6 power. Plenty good for 4-bangers. They arguably make the best 4-banger-tranny combo for the past 30 years! Was it cost cutting to use the same tranny on their v6's?

2nd my unscientific approach to engines and trannys in general. The smoother they operate the longer they should last. A clunky unit...yeah I don't see a long lifespan.....example DSG's. Fun, clunky, and a grab bag of reliability.

As a Honda fan you should be the last person who should be commenting on an Auto company having a transmission problem and not helping its customers out...I guess the class action law suite in 2006 which was brought against Honda for their faulty transmissions in the Odyssey, Pilot, and Accord conveniently escaped your memory...

This is the kind of (bs) which makes me reluctant to act on complaints about to mango; people always complaining about someone else when the reality is they are the (potkettle. That entire post was off topic and instigating in nature. And now there are posts on here about honduhs and mango for no fault of his own.
Honestly, I think Mango has a valid point, and I just got an email back from mazda today suggesting I take the car to a dealer to have the transmission diagnosed (even though it's been pulled already and I mentioned this).

The smoother they operate the longer they should last. A clunky unit...yeah I don't see a long lifespan.....example DSG's. Fun, clunky, and a grab bag of reliability.

This is true.

But Honda also has a strange automatic transmission design which doesnt do them
Any good either.

Now they are making CVTs... probably just gave up.

Back