Transfer case 118,000 miles

Dadscx9

:
Mazda CX-9
I just bought a 2008 cx-9 and I noticed that it's whining. It has oil that leaked out covering some of the underbody but not actually dripping on the ground so I'm assuming that it's pretty dry inside the transfer case. I bought everything to change the fluid in the transfer case. I'm wondering what will happen when I change the fluids. Is it possible that it will take the whining away or is the transfer case junk and needs replaced now that it's whining. Otherwise the vehicle drives good no issues shifting and its smooth just whines.

I think you caught it just in time, and there is still a chance to save it, most likely the oil has broken down and the transfer case gears are not being lubricated properly, I recommend try to suck out as much of the old oil as possible and refill with new oil, it will definitely eliminate the whining noise. I wouldn't keep driving until the oil is changed asap, the transfer case may seize and take out the transmission with it. See link for procedure
Good luck, I hope it works out for you...
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123847373-Changing-CX-9-transfer-case-gear-oil-(photos)

Last edited:
I think you caught it just in time, and there is still a chance to save it, most likely the oil has broken down and the transfer case gears are not being lubricated properly, I recommend try to suck out as much of the old oil as possible and refill with new oil, it will definitely eliminate the whining noise. I wouldn't keep driving until the oil is changed asap, the transfer case may seize and take the transmission with it. See link for procedure
Good luck, I hope it works out for you...
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123847373-Changing-CX-9-transfer-case-gear-oil-(photos)

I was hoping youd answer! I ordered the electric pump, stubby rachet, and royal purple. Im going to change fluid in few hours when wife gets home to watch the kids. I havent drove the cx9 since i read your original thread that you linked. I'll be back with update later tonight tell you if it took whine away. Thanks!

With the fluid being as bad as yours likely is I'd suggest changing it, driving it for a week or so then changing it again. The fresh oil will break down a lot of the sludge that's built up after a week and it will be good to get that out.

Thanks eskimo i will do that. I didnt get to change fluid yesterday, life got in way. I did get it up on jack stands and leveled out in garage. I got under it and located everything. I checked for cracks and didnt see or feel any. When i stuck my hand up on top by the breather vent it had thick oil like gear grease all over on top of it. Thanks fellas!

Got the new oil in the transfer case and right away the whine went away almost. After few miles whine went totally away. When i pumped out the old oil hardly any came out, maybe 2ounces. I got the suction tube in a good 6 inches and ran pump about 10 minutes trying to get what i could out. The fill plug magnetic part didnt have any metal shavings on it. I noticed the transfer case had blue chalk writing on outside, maybe it was replaced at one point? Overall i feel VERY lucky that i caught it in time and will change fluid again in a week and again in a month then once a year or so. Thanks again guys!

Got the new oil in the transfer case and right away the whine went away almost. After few miles whine went totally away. When i pumped out the old oil hardly any came out, maybe 2ounces. I got the suction tube in a good 6 inches and ran pump about 10 minutes trying to get what i could out. The fill plug magnetic part didnt have any metal shavings on it. I noticed the transfer case had blue chalk writing on outside, maybe it was replaced at one point? Overall i feel VERY lucky that i caught it in time and will change fluid again in a week and again in a month then once a year or so. Thanks again guys!

AWESOME !!! (first) I'm glad you were able to catch it in time and fix it yourself ,
you saved yourself a whole bunch of money in repair costs
(I would guessitimate ~$1500 for new transfer case + labor).
The wife must be saying to herself "that's one handy man I married there" LOL **just kidding**

I wasn't surprised you got only 2 ounce out, most of the oil already vented out on top.
When you were changing the oil, did you notice the smell?
The smell of the oil was absolutely horrible right ?

Excellent plan : "change fluid again in a week and again in a month then once a year or so"
transfer case should last another good 100,000 miles with good maintenance.

I've always said the transfer case is mechanically sound, it's the inferior OEM oil and
pathetically minuscule 1/2 quart capacity causing the problem, just swap the oil every 20k
and we CX-9 owners are good to go.

Cheers !!! give that CX-9 a good wash + wax and sit back and have a cold beer (couch) !

Very similar story with my 2007 CX9. I did again a week later after barely getting sludge out the first time. THANKS Avidien...I don't normally do much work on my cars, your detailed instructions gave me the confidence to go ahead. Here in Australia we getting same uninterested response from Mazda dealers about this issue.

Back