Tranny Rebuild

Jmike27

:
2001 Mazda Protege ES 5-speed
i have my 01 ES in the shop right now getting a low mileage motor put in and my 5 speed rebuilt. it has been grinding into 2nd and 3rd for many years. we got a kit for it with new synchros seals and bearings. my mechanic pulled apart the gear sets and says 2nd and 3rd really need replaced, very worn. he went through all his conections and cant find any used gear sets for this tranny. he said those two gear sets and the sliders for them are $600 new. Thats more than i paid for my motor.

Does anyone know where i could find used gear sets or does anyone on here have extras laying around? it seems parts for these trannys is pretty expensive. id love to save some money. or is it best to just get the new ones? please help.

You should just get a working trans in good condition... Check out the for sale section on here... There are 2 threads that come to mind.

so i found a manual from a 96 626 for $100. from what ive found im pretty sure thats the same tranny. before i buy can anyone confirm this?

I can neither confirm or deny this, sorry... Someone else should know, check Protege F A Q ???

Back