Tire Rotation Vid and Q

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
Question about the rear jacking point. In the Mazda picture it shows a circle with the fin area in the center of the circle, of the rear differential for the awd model. There are two protrusions there on the 2018 that are threaded. I used those as the jack point. Is this correct? There is also a metal piece that extends down. Is that the jack point the Mazda picture actually means? What I am questioning is at the 1:21 mark in the video.

@1:21 you are seeing a jack stack with adapter on the "pinch weld" -- yes this is correct.

recent similar conversation here:

@1:21 you are seeing a jack stack with adapter on the "pinch weld" -- yes this is correct.

recent similar conversation here:
No, at 1:21 it shows the rear differential for a jack up point. I used the parts that the green arrows point to, both on the jack saddle. But I am thinking that the part that the yellow arrow points to is meant to be the jack point. Does anyone know which is right?

JackPoint.jpg

This is Mazda's picture of the rear jack point but it looks like the entire differential is circled, hence the question.

MazdaPic.jpg

I have almost given up on rotating tires. It is a pain.

I have 42k on my OEM tires and I only swapped front to rear at 20k.

The tires look great with completely even wear and no cupping or anything.

The manual isn't very clear. You definitely don't want to put the weight on a flimsy or rotating part but maybe there is some wiggle room on precisely where the jack goes?

I have almost given up on rotating tires. It is a pain.

I have 42k on my OEM tires and I only swapped front to rear at 20k.

The tires look great with completely even wear and no cupping or anything.

The manual isn't very clear. You definitely don't want to put the weight on a flimsy or rotating part but maybe there is some wiggle room on precisely where the jack goes?
I've lifted using the rear differential before. IIRC, it is a solid casting. No drama - just position the jack pad somewhere in the center and jack it up. I used a small block of wood to spread the load and protect the case.

As far as rotation - my old CX9 I had for over 11 yrs and only rotated once (probably 3 sets of tires) 88K mi total. Just isn't worth the hassle to get another few percent more miles. Never had uneven wear.

Last edited:
No, at 1:21 it shows the rear differential for a jack up point. I used the parts that the green arrows point to, both on the jack saddle. But I am thinking that the part that the yellow arrow points to is meant to be the jack point. Does anyone know which is right?

View attachment 223989
Just an FYI, I am colorblind and can't tell the difference between your yellow and green arrows! They look the same to me. To help out people like me (red/green colorblind) you could use yellow and blue as we can easily see that. :geek:

P.S. - I have the same trouble with those online colored traffic maps. Can't tell the difference between the green (normal traffic) and yellow (some congestion). I can see the red because it's darker, but not because I can see it's red, just because it's darker!

View attachment 223989
The jack point on rear differential case is around the green arrow area, not the metal piece that extends down pointed by the yellow arrow.

Yeah I’d use at least a small block of wood to spread the load and protect the rear differential case like St1ngy did.

I always place the jack under a control arm unless I need both wheels off the ground at the same time.

Just an FYI, I am colorblind and can't tell the difference between your yellow and green arrows! They look the same to me. To help out people like me (red/green colorblind) you could use yellow and blue as we can easily see that. :geek:

P.S. - I have the same trouble with those online colored traffic maps. Can't tell the difference between the green (normal traffic) and yellow (some congestion). I can see the red because it's darker, but not because I can see it's red, just because it's darker!
Noted. I picked those colors randomly. The yellow arrow is the one to the far right.

Back