Tire PSI

wow i was just reading this thread and i checked my Tire Pressure this Morning before i went to work. After sitting over night my Tire Pressure was at 47 psi!!!! It was 32 degrees this morning as well!!. I immeadately took my gauge and lowered it to around 38 PSI on each tire. Man the dealer must have giving me the car with the tires way over inflatted. I have been driving like this for a week now. Im ussing one of those pretty Accurate gauges as well from Advanced auto parts. Im going to confirm tire pressure later on today to make sure that my Gauge isn't off. I mean 47 psi that was crazy. If my gague is accurate im def. complaining to that dealership.

Thanks,

Orlando

RHAGEL said:
Traction and grip is not an issue unless you are pushing the car to its full potential. I have been slightly overinflating my tires for years with no problems. I drive a windy mountain road everyday and don't even get my tires to squeal. I agree though, if you are making turns at 60, then you may want to rethink that. But then again, if you are making turns at 60, your traffic tickets will be outrageous.

Not that I don't think the tire pressure could be up'd by a point or two, but I'm going to agree with Brian_MP5T, not just because it makes sense, not just because manufactures stand to gain nothing if our tires just wear constantly since they aren't making money they can count on from it and thus probably aren't leading you on, but because I used to have a light quick (not fast) car that was fun to drive at the limit, and it was WELL BELOW the limit, when I was fully comfortable with my 4.5lbs-over-inflated tires that I went to turn a 60km bend at 40 in the rain and the car just never turned, sliding me off the road, readily cutting down both front tires, and narrowly missing a tree. My Car was lowered, so guess how much extra damage it did.

It's true that increasing tire pressure has some benefits, but don't forget that in inclement weather, the benefits are few, and in addition to that, the tires are wearing with use. This means that when they are new, you're probably fairly safe even over inflated, but as those tires wear, the unsafe-factor increases exponentially instead of gradually (the way they would if you had them at recommended tire pressure) ..which is what allows ppl to drive on the tires long beyond the recommended switch-frame and still get away with it.

The gains in fuel economy and steering feel are great, but car control decreases, and with wear, the chances of unexpected occurrences ramp up fully. There are a ton of other methods and techniques to save on gas where if you get them wrong, you'll be safe to try again. Over-inflating tires isn't one of them.

Imagine this, it might be a sweet race strategy to overinflate the tires a bit and run longer than everyone else..walking to the checkered flag... yet there's a reason that this is never done. Safety first right?

Like I said, likely no harm in going over by a couple.. but there isn't a lot of benefit that comes from a couple over... the big benefit comes typiclally from +4 and up... i used to do this. (peep)

In my opinion, the best place to start on tire pressure is the manufacturer's reccomendation. Then adjust based on real data. Real data can be obtained by measureing the temperature of the tread after a drive using a pyrometer. A reasonably priced one can be had from Summit racing http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-G1054&N=700+115&autoview=sku.

The technique is to drive for at least 20 minutes using a style that you want to optimise for. Then stop and quickly measure the temperature of the tread in three places, the inside corner, middle, and outside corner of all four tires. If the center is hotter than the edges, you need less pressure. If it is colder, you need more. This also tells you about your camber setting; if the tire is hotter on the outside you need more negative camber.

A seat of the pants dyno is often misleading. Real data is the only way to make meaningful adjustments. Keep a log with the cold pressures of all four tires at the beginning of a drive and the temps at the end. A few commute days and you will have it perfect.

If the tire temperature is even across the tire it means you are getting equal traction and equal wear, utilizing the rubber across the whole tire to the maximum.

Edit: The maximum pressure on the tire sidewall is just that, the maximum. It is never the correct inflation pressure!

OK, I think you've all beaten the horse to death and then some. Rhagel and Mighty Mouse thanks for the good laugh...I needed that.

For those of you looking for the real benefits of using N2 in your tires, please refer to the paper attached...

Attachments

• Technical%20-%20Why%20Nitrogen%20Inflation%20Extends%20Tread%20Life.pdf
    125.8 KB · Views: 257
I am wondering - what is the recommended pressure on the MS3? What does it say on the door jamb, if anyone can check? I would imagine it's higher than the reg 3 b/c MS3 is a heavier car with larger tires.

StreteSpd said:
Not that I don't think the tire pressure could be up'd by a point or two, but I'm going to agree with Brian_MP5T, not just because it makes sense, not just because manufactures stand to gain nothing if our tires just wear constantly since they aren't making money they can count on from it and thus probably aren't leading you on, but because I used to have a light quick (not fast) car that was fun to drive at the limit, and it was WELL BELOW the limit, when I was fully comfortable with my 4.5lbs-over-inflated tires that I went to turn a 60km bend at 40 in the rain and the car just never turned, sliding me off the road, readily cutting down both front tires, and narrowly missing a tree. My Car was lowered, so guess how much extra damage it did.

It's true that increasing tire pressure has some benefits, but don't forget that in inclement weather, the benefits are few, and in addition to that, the tires are wearing with use. This means that when they are new, you're probably fairly safe even over inflated, but as those tires wear, the unsafe-factor increases exponentially instead of gradually (the way they would if you had them at recommended tire pressure) ..which is what allows ppl to drive on the tires long beyond the recommended switch-frame and still get away with it.

The gains in fuel economy and steering feel are great, but car control decreases, and with wear, the chances of unexpected occurrences ramp up fully. There are a ton of other methods and techniques to save on gas where if you get them wrong, you'll be safe to try again. Over-inflating tires isn't one of them.

Imagine this, it might be a sweet race strategy to overinflate the tires a bit and run longer than everyone else..walking to the checkered flag... yet there's a reason that this is never done. Safety first right?

Like I said, likely no harm in going over by a couple.. but there isn't a lot of benefit that comes from a couple over... the big benefit comes typiclally from +4 and up... i used to do this. (peep)

Alot of misinformation in there... Where you find that "unsafe factor" increases exponentially. Do you have a graph or some sort of proof? You're right in saying that a new tire will do better than an old, only because the tread is not as worn out. Having the correct pressure maximizes the surface area of contact between your tires an the road, which will maximize car's handling capabilities. Having a slight over inflation will cause the outsides to lift off the road a little and with less contact surface, you get less friction which is probably why you get better fuel econ (if any at all, it's probably negligeable) but worse handling. Underinflation will cause the edges to bow out and the middle to lift off the road, again giving you less surface. As well, this is extremely dangerous because now you're susceptible to tire roll, which is when turning, the tire rolls onto it's side and affects your handling and can create a loss in traction (probably what happened to your car).

Edit: I see autoX drivers do overinflate-mybad

I did a couple over recommended not because I thought there was a huge benefit in doing this but because I wanted to see if there actually was any difference and also b/c I'm lazy and figured that since pressure will decrease in a few weeks, then by the next time I check, it'll have gone down to 32. I'm probably just better off maintaining 32 by not being lazy.

Last edited:
BoostedMP3 said:
should the pressure be more or less in the front for the MP3?
Take a look at the sticker on the driver's side door post. Reccomeded tire pressures are there.

Interesting post, when I went to autox school the guy told us that manufacturers will usually recommend lower tire pressures to improve the ride of the car without actually considering the effect on traction or handling. He even mentioned that Ford had some problems with underinflated tires blowing on some of their SUVs. I wonder if the recommended tire pressure is a good start or not? I guess measuring the tire temp in different zones is really the only way to go...

I would go for the suggested PSIs. Lowering the PSI is great for the track/autocross, but it also lowers the MPG. But it's up to you.

Back