2017~2024 Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!

I would say direct is better in every regard other than cost. VW switched to indirect with MKVII vs MKV which feels like a step backwards to me.

Indirect TPMS has some shortcomings. One is if all tires deflate at same rate, you could be running low pressure on all and never alert. Also, if you replace one tire and it is newer, you have to retrain the system. Other things can throw it out of whack and require retraining which takes a few miles of driving.

Direct TPMS requires sensors and batteries, but it offers actual PSI monitoring.

I wonder though, my new snow tires were all inflated higher than my regular all-seasons and even though all 4 were inflated to the same exact psi (I checked), it set off my TPMS alert.

I think it remembers over time which means it *should* catch all 4 low due to temperatures dropping. It’s also why you would generally need a reset after installing new tires (or swapping to winter wheels) so it can recalibrate what *normal* baseline is.

Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!!!

I thought Mazda did implement readings in the dash. Why even change the system then if you didn't add anything?
That's my point too. Why even changed the system with additional cost to both manufacture and consumers if it didn't add anything?

BTW, CX-5 has never had any tire pressure readings available for driver, not even with more expensive direct-read TPMS on Gen-2 CX-5.

⋯ Indirect measures rotational speed/diameter to determine pressure. It has its own short comings and can get out of whack. I would not say it is better then direct. It is different and has problems too. But from a consumer stand point it has no added cost.
??? I only said the direct-read TPMS is more sophisticated and expensive ⋯

Indirect TPMS has some shortcomings. One is if all tires deflate at same rate, you could be running low pressure on all and never alert. Also, if you replace one tire and it is newer, you have to retrain the system. Other things can throw it out of whack and require retraining which takes a few miles of driving.

Direct TPMS requires sensors and batteries, but it offers actual PSI monitoring.
Well yes direct-read TPMS does have many advantages over indirect-read TPMS other than the cost. But Mazda didn't use it at its full potential. The new system performs almost exactly like the cheaper system, as evidenced by this example that a 2017 CX-5 owner who was driving his CX-5 for 4 months / 2,000 miles with 45 psi in all of his tires without any warnings from TPMS. Once the TPMS warning is on, you have to find a tire pressure gauge to figure out which tire is the culprit. And according to 2017 owner's manual you still have to check tire pressure regularly with a tire pressure gauge. None of these would happen if Mazda could simply utilize the full potential of its direct-read TPMS, displaying individual tire pressure for each tire somewhere as a piece of safety information each time the driver wants it.

2017 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual Page 4-161 said:
NOTE
When the ambient temperature is low due to seasonal changes, tire temperatures are also lower. When the tire temperature decreases, the air pressure decreases as well. The TPMS warning light may illuminate more frequently. Visually inspect the tires daily before driving, and check tire pressures monthly with a tire pressure gauge. When checking tire pressures, use of a digital tire pressure gauge is recommended.

TPMS does not alleviate your need to check the pressure and condition of all four tires regularly.

I wonder though, my new snow tires were all inflated higher than my regular all-seasons and even though all 4 were inflated to the same exact psi (I checked), it set off my TPMS alert.
Owner’s manual says we need to reset our indirect TPMS each time we change our tires. I believe now you have a little bigger tires with fresh tread which triggered TPMS warning.

Owners manual says we need to reset our indirect TPMS each time we change our tires. I believe now you have a little bigger tires with fresh tread which triggered TPMS warning.

Agreed! Indirect TPMS must be reset by a human finger any time a tire pressure gets adjusted, the tires placement on the vehicle changes, or tires itself get changed.

Benefit of direct read is that the customer doesn't have to do anything to keep it working properly.
Benefit of not having individual display, is that the customer/installer, doesn't have to do anything with a scan tool or programming to get it working properly.

I would like to have individual discrete pressure level display. I'm not arguing against that.

Benefit of direct read is that the customer doesn't have to do anything to keep it working properly.
Benefit of not having individual display, is that the customer/installer, doesn't have to do anything with a scan tool or programming to get it working properly.

I would like to have individual discrete pressure level display. I'm not arguing against that.
Actually the tire pressure information for each tire is there in Mazda's new TPMS system. It just Mazda chose not to process it and display it on either instrument cluster or infotainment screen. And there's no need to do anything by installer or customer with a scan tool or programming to display this information if Mazda has implemented the feature displaying the tire pressure for each tire.

Actually the tire pressure information for each tire is there in Mazda's new TPMS system. It just Mazda chose not to process it and display it on either instrument cluster or infotainment screen. And there's no need to do anything by installer or customer with a scan tool or programming to display this information if Mazda has implemented the feature displaying the tire pressure for each tire.

I wonder if the information is there for the techs when they do service so they can check tire pressures and adjust quicker?

How does the car know which sensor is where?

How does the car know which sensor is where?
Check this review from isketerol who installed a readout device made by Orange Electronic in Taiwan which utilizes OEM TPMS and displays tire temperature and pressure with location.

Orange TPMS Monitor Review

Here's a pic of it in operation:

attachment.php

This means the information on tire pressure、temperature、and location, however the method Mazda TPMS is using, are all available to display. Mazda just chose not to do it on this seemingly very important information for safety.

Check this review from isketerol who installed a readout device made by Orange Electronic in Taiwan which utilizes OEM TPMS and displays tire temperature and pressure with location.

Orange TPMS Monitor Review

This means the information on tire pressure、temperature、and location, however the method Mazda TPMS is using, are all available to display. Mazda just chose not to do it on this seemingly very important information for safety.

According to the review, if you want readings with explicit location, you need to go through a training procedure. This device does not detect where the sensors are. In fact, the guy didn't bother or couldn't figure out how to do that on this purpose built device.

According to the review, if you want readings with explicit location, you need to go through a training procedure. This device does not detect where the sensors are. In fact, the guy didn't bother or couldn't figure out how to do that on this purpose built device.

He mentioned that he might when the weather got better. But you and I would do it right away, because if you don't "train" it, it doesn't tell you much more than the oem system, other than a number, no location.

He mentioned that he might when the weather got better. But you and I would do it right away, because if you don't "train" it, it doesn't tell you much more than the oem system, other than a number, no location.

Elsewhere in the thread it was stated that the CX-5 knows the sensor positions, it just chooses not to share that with us. I thought yrwei52 was saying that this device proves that the location information is somehow sensed. According to the review of this device, the position is not sensed, it must be trained.

I would prefer that Mazda show the discrete positions, even if that takes an extra setup step that might require use of specialized equipment. But I can understand why they may have chosen not to do that, if their goal was to make a system that just works. It doesn't require the customer or installer to reset, train, use a scanner, or dig into menus to set it up.

Elsewhere in the thread it was stated that the CX-5 knows the sensor positions, it just chooses not to share that with us. I thought yrwei52 was saying that this device proves that the location information is somehow sensed. According to the review of this device, the position is not sensed, it must be trained.

I would prefer that Mazda show the discrete positions, even if that takes an extra setup step that might require use of specialized equipment. But I can understand why they may have chosen not to do that, if their goal was to make a system that just works. It doesn't require the customer or installer to reset, train, use a scanner, or dig into menus to set it up.

Maybe a workshop/service department schematic would show it

The feature of this TPMS Pressure By Location Display says when tire is in an abnormal situation, you won't be able to identify which tire needs maintenance with your OEM TPMS. Installing TPMS display which works with OEM TPMS, you can see tire temperature and pressure by location. However what the learning procedure is, the device can figure out the location of each TPMS pressure sensor.

Amazon.com said:
Orange Electronic Mazda 2017 2018 New CX-5 CX5 TPMS Pressure By Location Display

Features

。TPMS display (bulit in receiver) special for all-new MAZDA CX-5 (2017/2018)
。When tire is in an abnormal situation, you won't be able to identify which tire needs maintenance with your OEM TPMS.
。Installing TPMS display which works with OEM TPMS, you can see tire temperature and pressure by location.
。Light TFT-LCD display, automatically adjust its brightness
。With USB charging, can be connected with power bank

Back