Tire and road hazard warranty

Rhodius

Folks,

Before you jumped on me, hear me out. I was wondering if any of you has done the tire and road hazard warranty from Mazda America. I'll be honest with you, this is the first vehicle I have which comes with a 20" wheels and low profile tires. My X5 have 245/17/65 or 60, which means there's more rubber where it meets the road. I also never had a blown tire or puncture in the 5 years I own the SUV with the same driving conditions.

I just checked tirerack.com, while 20" OE tires weren't too expensive, each of the wheels run about $300 plus and beyond. While I'm always cautious, I also drive 1-2 days of the week in the city.

What do you think: less than $300 for 3 yr of coverage or just face the risk?

Thanks.

I would much rather put that three hundred towards tires at tirerack, and get the road hazard program they have for MUCH less, and they only cover the tires, not the rims, I don't think, but if they do, then its worth it.

Road hazard warranties are a waste of money unless you live in pothole world of NYC or parts of Chicago or LA county.

I live in Houston and we have our share of construction and pot holes. I opted for the wheel and tire warrany for five years. Only one bent or broken rim will more than pay for it. I like the fact that both tires and rims are covered for ANY road hazards.

My daughters have started driving (warning!!!) and so far have hit a curb hard enough to bend a front suspension arm, clipped another curb and tore the sidewall out of a tire (also scraped the edge of the rim), and seemingly hit every pothole they drove past. However, none of these have done anything more than cosmetic damage to a wheel. Thankfully all this carnage was inflicted on the poor Volvo wagon that we "replaced" with our new CX-9!

In all my years of driving, I have never had to replace a damaged wheel. However, if I did need to replace a wheel, I would probably buy a set of take-offs on eBay. I recently purchased a set of four OEM CX-9 18" wheels (and tires) to use for winter tires for just $300 (total, not each).

For tires purchased from Discount Tire, you can either purchase the tire insurance, or for free, accept the prorated value (based on treadwear) for unrepairably damaged tires. I figure if I've used 50% of the tread and they give me 50% of the value of the tire, that's pretty fair.

Obviously, my recommendation would be to skip the insurance.

Last edited:
I didn't accept it either. In the last 10 years of driving, we never have a blown or puncture tire, I figured even if that happened, with the road side assistance I could get help to replace the tire, I wouldn't have to ride on the rims, at most only 1 rim will be damaged, at most it will cost the same amt with the insurance. I'll take that chance since these little things add up if I were to buy all of them.

Thank you all!

Back