This forum has gone downhill

This forum's as good as ever.
I've met about 20 really cool people via this site, and that's only counting the people I've actually shook hands with. There's plenty more friendly, helpful people here that I'll never meet, but we talk and joke around so much that I consider them my friends anyway.

No one helpful?? (uhm)
--Check out RazorP5's thread about the sigs...He's doing HOURS of work just so people he'll probably never meet can have a cool pic of their car.
--What about Rishie's Fitment Guide? Another FREE piece of info.
--How about 1stMP3? He's here to answer your every audio/electronic question...24/7 it seem sometimes! (crazy)
--Then there's guys like Ghostp5 that seem to know every trick in the book...
If it weren't for this forum, My Protege wouldn't be anywhere near as fast or good looking(IMO) as it is.
Thanks you guys, for all the help.(drinks)

Also, let's not forget the buisnessmen like Terry at Spoolin, Rishie at ARD, Tom at Kartboy and a lot more that base their lives around helping us make our cars faster...5 days a week, anyway.;)

I love this site!(p5silver)

Last edited:
Take the Good with the not so Good !!! 90% of my mods have come from my reading on this forum , I love this place :D

seriously
WTF
this forum is great, at least it's got personality
sometimes it b****y, sometimes it's nice, sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's grumpy.......but then appologises.

and LawnMan is right...........everything, and i mean EVERYTHING, i learned about my car was on this forum.

eggynatey u the shiznit...........got it right on the nose!

i also met some very cool people, and i'm personally friends with them now.

say whatever u want, but i love it

Last edited:
--Check out RazorP5's thread about the sigs...He's doing HOURS of work just so people he'll probably never meet can have a cool pic of their car.

wow, thanks eggy really appreciate it. btw your sig is next, ill have it for you tonite, i had to touch up two others last nite.

as with any forum you have good and bad. i think the forum is great! i love being able to look at the recent threads and decide which ones i want to read. some questions seem silly and almost hard to believe...but, for the most part this place is real cool, and i'm an old school fart! just ask 1st and spicymchaggis!

eggynatey said:
--Then there's guys like Ghostp5 that seem to know every trick in the book...

Thanks you guys, for all the help.(drinks)

Also, let's not forget the buisnessmen like Terry at Spoolin, Rishie at ARD, Tom at Kartboy and a lot more that base their lives around helping us make our cars faster...5 days a week, anyway.;)

I love this site!(p5silver)

Thanks Eggynatey!!

I feel the same way, I have met alot of people through this site, and I ve also made close long distance friendships. This forum is even better now that it has sped up. I commend All of the mods, especially the webmasters!

I just want to take this chance to thank everyone!(usa) (canada)

Yep...^^^he's old! :D (oops...pointing at Bazooka Joe!)

But listen...with over 5000 members you can't expect eveyone to be your sweet little grandmother. It should be expected that flames will ignite. However, new members could probably use a little list of common forum ettiquette when they sign-up. In here would be the "use the search button (w/ tutorial)" and maybe a couple of other things like "respect is earned...treat other members as if you were speaking to them in real life" and "have fun!" Still...this place frakin' rocks!

servoeyes said:
But listen...with over 5000 members you can't expect eveyone to be your sweet little grandmother. It should be expected that flames will ignite. However, new members could probably use a little list of common forum ettiquette when they sign-up. In here would be the "use the search button (w/ tutorial)" and maybe a couple of other things like "respect is earned...treat other members as if you were speaking to them in real life" and "have fun!" Still...this place frakin' rocks!
yep, no one's going to be perfect, but I completely agree that we should have a newbie guide on here. And once a newbie comes on and posts his "Hi, I'm new" thread, someone can just politely say "Welcome to the forum, if you haven't yet, please check out the forum guide here http://www.blahblah.com"

Search tips suggestions:
-It helps to search within a specific section. If you're looking for info on rims, select the Rims/Tire/Suspension section and then search, this will help filter out a random user talking about his rims on another section
-If you see a user who has something on his car that you're interested in, use the "search by username" with the keyword search. If he has been on here long, chances are good that there was a thread posted about it from him in the past.

Forum posting suggestions:
-Remember, emotions like sarcasm (when joking) do not come through when writing a post. Use the smilies freely if you think something might be taken the wrong way. It will save you the "Dude, I was just joking around" post later on.
-Seniority is respected here. It doesn't matter if you know your s**t, if people see that you have not posted enough to be considered a true regular member they will be slower to accept your opinions ;) (hey, it's true, this thread is a great example)
-At the beginning, do plenty of lurking. Each forum has a different environment. In real life you wouldn't walk into a room of strangers and start acting the way you act around your best buddies. It's good to observe first, then speak with "caution" (by that I mean, start out humble, we like helping out new people, we get turned off by the ones who come in too strong)
-And lastly. Use the search function or just PM (private message) a user when you want to ask him/her a specific question. We love getting stuff in our PM boxes (I know I do ;) ).

Anyway, those are just some of my suggestions (you don't have to agree, that's up to the mods), but I think if people just kind of chip in ideas and suggestions we might get some good ones for this newbie guide.

this site is about to under go a little construction.

i will be copying threads to the how to/faq section(new title), and removing pointless posts from said threads. this will take some time,

if you feel a REAL informative thread should be added, pm me.

cbcbd, excellent ideas!

I agree with Rishie here, on the boards a lot of member come across kinda cocky. But, when you meet them in person, they're pretty down to earth. My biggest problem is with the members that are Pro Protege or Protege Purists. The guys that think that just because they have an MSP they're the quickest out there. I've met plenty of cool people from the board, Rishie & Sean were the first people I met off of here way back before the boards had 500 members. So it's safe to say I've seen the boards develop. Just like servoeyes has stated, you're not going to have everyone agree with one another with 5000 members. Personalities are bound to clash sooner or later. The clashing usually occurs with MSP owners that are too cocky. Not hating on the guys, but they should calm down a bit as well as everyone else. "CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG" :)

ARD MP5 said:
The problem is that several people are just too cocky. It's amazing how down to earth the NA community is for the majority. But then the MS community is kinda obnoxious. This is not in reference to everyone.

I don't know what to do. I suggest surfing the rx7 forums cause that's a top notch community and where I began my reign. hehe.

Peace, Rishie

Enry,
I'm not sure how much control you have over the scripts to the forum etc, but could something be done for new members to enforce the search feature? Like the first three times they create a new thread, popup a javascript "OK/Cancel" box that says "Thank you for posting a new thread to the board. There is a chance that the question you are asking may have already been asked. The search feature on this board is extremely useful for finding out commonly asked questions, and for preventing repetitive posts. If you would like to continue posting, please click "OK" otherwise click "Cancel" and you will be taken to the search page".

Just some new way of slamming the search feature in new members' faces.

Chris

hHmMM.
i think that instead of everyone posting how they thing this forum sux or has gone down hill should really take a few things into the big picture
1. this is no ones job. this site is basically free unless you decide to donate and there is a wealth of information on here. you just have to search or pm and ask. in all the time i have been on this forum i have never asked someone for help and had them tell me no.
2. off topic.. off topic is off topic.. kinda like flamewars. complaining about that is just rediculous.. its off topic.. if udont like it dont read it.
3. all the mods, vendors and the people on here that are always trying to hell really seem to get ragged on.. people need to understand this forum is not everyones life.. the vendors have other things on the side, the mods may be busy sometimes.. and guess what.. if i cant get back on here to tell you the spring rates to your h&r springs right when u ask. well you might just have to wait a day.. alot of people on here are really cool..but there are a few that show no appreciation
overall i love the forum.. i love a majority of the people.. its just sometimes i think people expect too much

Just some new way of slamming the search feature in new members' faces.

something has to be done because people are too lazy to search and will probably be too lazy to read any forum how-to guide...just my .02, its like how many people read the instructions to a new game before playing?

RazorP5 said:
something has to be done because people are too lazy to search and will probably be too lazy to read any forum how-to guide...just my .02, its like how many people read the instructions to a new game before playing?

What you are not realizing is not all newbies to this forum are newbies to forums/bb's in general. Like I said in an earlier post in this thread, I have been a member of other auto forums for over two years with 1000's of posts and several how-to's I've written in Tech sections. I know how to use the search. In fact I know how to effectively use the search, using many diffferent combinations of keywords to find what I am looking for. Sometimes that doesn't always work. But with that being said I don't want to ask a question and have someone jump right in with a "roll eyes" smilie telling me to search instead of being helpful enough to answer the question. Doesn't give a very good impression.

youre right 100% but you could write in javascript in the signup form where you must scroll to the bottom of the text box before you can click "next", but newbie to all forums in general or not, the fact of the matter is, people are just going to scroll down to activate the button...if you dont know what im talking about, they use it often on license agreements for software...

I think some people feel as if we NEED to hear their opinions...as if they are of great importance...I can tell you judging by the number of donations and positive feedback we receive...this community can only go in one direction and that's UP!

Thanks to those who posted honest and sincere feedback...you guys are a major part of the reason this site ROCKS!!! (rockon)

I do appreciate and encourage constructive criticismknow that we do listen and are always trying to improve this community.

Back