Thinking about 2022 CX-5 Turbo

For those who have seen the 2022 wing (in chrome or black) and the revised grill, what are your thoughts?
Personally, in a side-by-side YouTube I preferred the 2021 styling.

For those who have seen the 2022 wing (in chrome or black) and the revised grill, what are your thoughts?
Personally, in a side-by-side YouTube I preferred the 2021 styling.
I personally like the 2021 front, but 2022 rear styling.

Ha, power folding mirror failures ⋯

That problem has been going on for years even after many revisions and TSBs “world wide” since 2012 by Mazda on CX-5!

It's not as bad as rusting brake rotors, at least mirrors work for years before failing. My rotors are completely rusty after 1.5k already. Fortunately I budgeted in rotors replacement prior to the purchase lol

Regarding CX5 2022 - new headlights is huge improvement and look much better now, plus the rims are not asking for replacement. But I personally wanted a white turbo with white interior (and white mirrors) so had to go for 2021

To OP - turbo CX5 drives really nice, if driving is what's important to you all issues mentioned around here are manageable. Be prepared to spend more on gas.

It's not as bad as rusting brake rotors, at least mirrors work for years before failing. My rotors are completely rusty after 1.5k already. Fortunately I budgeted in rotors replacement prior to the purchase lol

Regarding CX5 2022 - new headlights is huge improvement and look much better now, plus the rims are not asking for replacement. But I personally wanted a white turbo with white interior (and white mirrors) so had to go for 2021

To OP - turbo CX5 drives really nice, if driving is what's important to you all issues mentioned around here are manageable. Be prepared to spend more on gas.
Did you also notice the announced improvements in the transmission settings (more responsive) and improved seats?

I have owned a Mazdaspeed 6 (forget the year) , a CX7 (forget the year), a 2014 CX5, a 2016 CX5, a 2019 CX5 Sig and now a 2021 CX5 Sig. All vehicles have had excellent reliability and very good resale value. The Mazda and Lexus brands seem to always land in the top tier for lowest cost of ownership.

We have various Honda, Audi and Subaru vehicles around as well. All have behaved. One issue with the Audi related to the Satellite radio, Audi fixed it for free post warranty.

Mazda repair issues:
AC compressor failure on CX-7 covered under TSB at 70K miles.

Front LED headlight went crazy on 2016 CX-5 - warranty replacement.

On the 2019 I had the 3G based remote start. As everyone knows that system was deactivated. That did end up in an unplanned new car purchase for me, but Mazda USA management made it right.

So far on the rest of the CX-5s no repairs just oil and gas (he knocks on wood just in case). I only go near the dealership for oil changes.

If Mazda cars were junk you would read all about it. Please do not let one poster on this thread scare you off. Mazda cars are not perfect, but they are a lot of fun to drive and give you a lot of value for the money.

on the 2022 comments - I like the 2022 Sig in white with the all white body cladding. Had I known that was coming I would have waited. If I can swing another sweet deal I might grab the 22 anyway. I wish someone knew if the CX-5 is going to stay of if the CX-50 will be its eventual replacement?

Last edited:
The CX-5 has to be on the way out. I am really surprised they spent any money retooling the front and back of the car so far down the road in its lifespan. My guess is 23 will be the last year. CX-50 is just too similar to warrant continuing the CX-5 for long.

The CX-5 has to be on the way out. I am really surprised they spent any money retooling the front and back of the car so far down the road in its lifespan. My guess is 23 will be the last year. CX-50 is just too similar to warrant continuing the CX-5 for long.
I think you may be right about the CX-5 phasing out in North America after 2023. But the CX-50 is only for NA. There are smaller international versions already announced of the next Mazda CUV’s. CX-70 = CX-60 and CX-90 = CX-80. But I don’t think there’s a CX-5 replacement for the rest of the world that’s been announced yet, which is strange because it’s such an important model in Japan, Australia etc.

I hope youre wrong, as the cx50 is pretty lame in many ways, but if the cheapen the cx5 and "turn it into" the cx50, per se, maybe they can have low margins on cx70 and not price it too high.

I hope youre wrong, as the cx50 is pretty lame in many ways, but if the cheapen the cx5 and "turn it into" the cx50, per se, maybe they can have low margins on cx70 and not price it too high.
The US and Canada is the biggest CX-5 market but the CX-5 is a strong seller and significant in Japan, Australia, SE Asia, Europe and the UK. The CX-50 won’t be going to any of them so I don’t see the CX-5 being discontinued. Whether the next generation will be available here is another question.

I have owned a Mazdaspeed 6 (forget the year) , a CX7 (forget the year), a 2014 CX5, a 2016 CX5, a 2019 CX5 Sig and now a 2021 CX5 Sig. All vehicles have had excellent reliability and very good resale value. The Mazda and Lexus brands seem to always land in the top tier for lowest cost of ownership.

We have various Honda, Audi and Subaru vehicles around as well. All have behaved. One issue with the Audi related to the Satellite radio, Audi fixed it for free post warranty.

Mazda repair issues:
AC compressor failure on CX-7 covered under TSB.

Front LED headlight went crazy on 2016 CX-5 - warranty replacement.

So far on the rest of the CX-5s no repairs just oil and gas (he knocks on wood just in case). I only go near the dealership for oil changes.

If Mazda cars were junk you would read all about it. Please do not let one poster on this thread scare you off. Mazda cars are not perfect, but they are a lot of fun to drive and give you a lot of value for the money.

on the 2022 comments - I like the 2022 Sig in white with the all white body cladding. Had I known that was coming I would have waited. If I can swing another sweet deal I might grab the 22 anyway. I wish someone knew if the CX-5 is going to stay of if the CX-50 will be its eventual replacement?
If one who replaces the car as often as you do, he / she doesn’t really need to worry about reliability and longevity. Most cars nowadays are pretty reliable within warranty period.

When I say I suspect '23 is the end for the current CX-5, I mean in the US at least. I have no idea what they will do in other parts of the world, but for the US anyway, why keep the CX-5 and release a brand new CX-50? I don't understand the comment "but if they cheapen the cx5 and "turn it into" the cx50, per se". Has the CX-50 been seen/driven by anyone on the forums yet? It doesn't look "cheap" to me at all. Same drive train as the CX-5 as well. Interior looks very similar. It isn't as classy as the CX-5 to my eye, but if it is roomier and otherwise in the same size class it certainly seems like a replacement for the US market. Plus it's built here which will save Mazda some coin on shipping costs. Personally, I like my Japanese built CX-5, but it makes sense to me to end production on a car which has actually been around for longer than 6 yrs (since the current CX-5 is really just a reskin of the previous gen CX-5 which was released in 2013).

Donno where you guys get all these weird ideas. You don't discontinue your best model that keeps your company afloat for a car that is specific for a specific market, aka North America. If this is going to happen, the CX5 will be discontinued only for North America in order to keep only the CX50, CX70 and CX90 and while I think there's like 0% chance to be discontinued, it won't happen until 2025 will all the electrical stuff.

Why are you bashing a car that is not even out, that you haven't even seen a review or seen the price?

All of the marketing stuff that Mazda has sent out shows them positioning the CX5 for city driving and the CX50 for the more outdoorsy lifestyle

Donno where you guys get all these weird ideas. You don't discontinue your best model that keeps your company afloat for a car that is specific for a specific market, aka North America. If this is going to happen, the CX5 will be discontinued only for North America in order to keep only the CX50, CX70 and CX90 and while I think there's like 0% chance to be discontinued, it won't happen until 2025 will all the electrical stuff.
Mazda (and other makes) get rid of nameplates all the time. Mazda seems to be going to the single digit plus "0" on the SUVs. Since the CX-9 will be the CX-90 in the new regime it makes sense the CX-5 will become the CX-50. I think they are just holding onto the CX-5 as it has been so popular here in the US. I was looking at the sales figures and surprisingly numbers have gone up every year since 2017 (except 2020 which could have been covid related production issues). You never see this with a car so far into its life cycle. I have not seen anything suggesting Mazda is working on a "new" CX-5 either. Have you?

Mazda (and other makes) get rid of nameplates all the time. Mazda seems to be going to the single digit plus "0" on the SUVs. Since the CX-9 will be the CX-90 in the new regime it makes sense the CX-5 will become the CX-50. I think they are just holding onto the CX-5 as it has been so popular here in the US. I was looking at the sales figures and surprisingly numbers have gone up every year since 2017 (except 2020 which could have been covid related production issues). You never see this with a car so far into its life cycle. I have not seen anything suggesting Mazda is working on a "new" CX-5 either. Have you?
CX-9 its not the massive seller that CX-5 is and more, it is a 3-row SUV. Mazda cannot afford having multiple 3 rows SUV so since they are developing a new large platform, it makes sense to put they're largest SUV on the new platform.

No, I have not seen Mazda working on a new CX-5, however, the second generation has been released in 2017, therefore 5yrs into it, its not really due for an upgrade. IMO we should start hearing about a new one (if they are going to build one which I definitely think they will), towards the end of next year, either a 2024 model, or 2025. That will give it a "normal" cycle of 7-8-years.

Interesting thread. I’m considering a cx9 with the 2.5T. I’ve been Honda (and Acura) since 1986 but their transmission and electronic issues are getting worrisome. That and their styling is really putting me off. Still, I’ve never ever had engine issues with any Honda. Brakes and transmissions, but never engine. I was about to get a Pilot until I drove a cx9. Now I’m confused lol

Cx50 is just a cheaper platform. Simple non-IRS. Pirated drivetrain. Some new sheet metal curves and interior bits. No ty. Its cheaper where it matters to me.

Back