The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

Nate, and those with kids, how have your experiences with long road trips and the little ones been? Going down we are leaving at 9pm, so half the drive will be night/sleeping for Tony, but on the way back will be more leaving at noon ish. Its 19.5 hours one way, atleast that's been the historical time for me.

Well, I know that I will be taking Lauri out for her birthday, which was yesterday! We'll be hitting up Cars and Coffee for a few hours on Sunday and then do some installs on Spicy on Sunday as well......rotors, pads, wheel studs, install the race seat and harness.....

Take a break every 2-3 for everyone's sanity. We usually stop every state now that they are a little older now. Driving at night is the key though.

Nate, and those with kids, how have your experiences with long road trips and the little ones been? Going down we are leaving at 9pm, so half the drive will be night/sleeping for Tony, but on the way back will be more leaving at noon ish. Its 19.5 hours one way, atleast that's been the historical time for me.

Driving overnight has worked for us, like you said, they tend to sleep. I'm guessing that Tony is too young to call for an investment in a portable dvd player? For your sanity, I'd suggest not driving straight thru on 19.5hr trip.

Well, I know that I will be taking Lauri out for her birthday, which was yesterday! We'll be hitting up Cars and Coffee for a few hours on Sunday and then do some installs on Spicy on Sunday as well......rotors, pads, wheel studs, install the race seat and harness.....

Nice and please wish Lauri a Happy Belated Bday for me! :) Sunday I plan on changing the oil in the Miata, sis-in-laws Pilot and installing the summer wheels on the P5.

Yea, I usually am forced to stop every 2-3 hours for a bathroom break, idk how often for gas (12 passenger van).

We will have a tablet as a digital media device/movie player. Tony will be 11 months at the time. He usually loves car rides though.

As for making the drive straight through, I have no choice. We leave Wednesday Night July 2nd, and I get back some time Monday evening. It's not worth the drive for a single day there with family.

I will have driving help available, but I usually drive 18 or so hours myself anyways, did the entire thing myself once too, after midterms.

Oh, and Happy Birthday Lauri

We drive overnight as well. We do yearly 10 hour drives to Virginia Beach to visit family and try to leave between 7-8 PM, which is Ian's usual bed time. This past year wasn't so bad since he sleeps through the night (now 17 months old) but in 2012 we had to stop twice because he woke up to eat. When we can't leave at night we try to leave about an hour or so after he's eaten. Works well in the afternoon since that's his usual nap time but he'll fall asleep in the morning after a bit as well. We did a trip from Cincinnati to West Virginia, to Orlando, and back to Cincinnati in January this way. Our lunch/dinner stops were usually 1.5-2 hours to give Ian enough time to eat and run around a bit before being stuffed back into a car.

This is what I'll be doing this weekend.
giphy.gif

And rolling Baby Marcs fenders Saturday, helping Marc and Marlon Sunday then band practice Sunday afternoon. And the keyboard player asked me to be in his soul, jazz, R&B project. So I'm going to be busy this summer.

Driving overnight has worked for us, like you said, they tend to sleep. I'm guessing that Tony is too young to call for an investment in a portable dvd player? For your sanity, I'd suggest not driving straight thru on 19.5hr trip.

We drive overnight as well. We do yearly 10 hour drives to Virginia Beach to visit family and try to leave between 7-8 PM, which is Ian's usual bed time. This past year wasn't so bad since he sleeps through the night (now 17 months old) but in 2012 we had to stop twice because he woke up to eat. When we can't leave at night we try to leave about an hour or so after he's eaten. Works well in the afternoon since that's his usual nap time but he'll fall asleep in the morning after a bit as well. We did a trip from Cincinnati to West Virginia, to Orlando, and back to Cincinnati in January this way. Our lunch/dinner stops were usually 1.5-2 hours to give Ian enough time to eat and run around a bit before being stuffed back into a car.

Driving overnight with frequent stops like Jeff and Jon said is what's been suggested to me for our trip to Myrtle Beach this summer. We've only made a couple of 3 hour trips as our longest so far and my wife sits in the backseat and keeps Kennedy entertained. We have a dvd player also that keeps her busy. I think Amber sits back there to watch the movies too.

This weekend: If it's nice enough some much needed yard work, if not maybe some organization solutions for the office and the basement. Sunday going to Grandma's. Pizza King FTW! Meatfest.

Last edited:
This weekend is finish painting the kitchen and dining room, and maybe the hallway. I might also install eaves vents that never were put in when the house was built years ago.

Had planned to start prepping to build a shed in the backyard (more garage space, yo) but it looks like it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow so who knows how much will get accomplished. I'll probably end up scraping more sound deadening material out of the RX-7 at some point. If I get that done I'll get it up on jacks in preparation to drop the fuel tank.

I need to find a mirror for the RX7, or a mirror cover. The cover shattered in the sever cold this winter, and its annoying me.

And rolling Baby Marcs fenders Saturday, helping Marc and Marlon Sunday then band practice Sunday afternoon. And the keyboard player asked me to be in his soul, jazz, R&B project. So I'm going to be busy this summer.

I feel bad I won't be there to help him

. And the keyboard player asked me to be in his soul, jazz, R&B project. So I'm going to be busy this summer.

Damn dude! When it rains, it pours. Good stuff! Now I need to get off my ass and get playing.

Ill feel bad when Marc can't roll his fenders from noone keeping me in the loop. the roller is up in mentor right now.

Oh, you didn't know Marc was going to use your fender roller at my house Saturday evening?

Kids...

Ill feel bad when Marc can't roll his fenders from noone keeping me in the loop. the roller is up in mentor right now.

Jake let me know your availability for the Fuel Pump Internals for Lauri's car..........whenever you have time....

I can probably squeeze it in tomorrow if you guys are free, and I can give you money for the MOCO jacket as well.

Let me check with Lauri to make sure we are free.......thanks! Worse case scenario I can always bring you the jacket

Look like we may be in for a major snow storm tomorrow?

Back