The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

I'm not gonna lie, I was a little buzzed up and was having a really bad day. The whole week had worn on me quite a bit, so I wanted to have some fun. I, for one, am sick of everyone just coming out and blasting s*** for the sake of making your presence known on the webs of inter. Whoopdie do. I was taught long ago that if you really want to make an impact that lasts, stay quiet. By not acknowledging something that you don't like, it will bother the s*** out of the person looking for attention.

I did it a different way. Insult people with intellect. Chances are they won't get it, it seems like you're being respectful of them, and those that do get it will laugh their asses off.

when you mentioned having a lager of choice and used that phrase I figured the lager was getting to you.

"Evan Lewis may be an old soul, but he's not the old man that everyone assumes. He may be at a higher age than most enthusiasts who like to share their ill-begotten knowledge all about the nets of inter. But he has been known to" slappa da bass" from time to time until the wee hours of the night. Since tonight is a Thursday, there is no live gig for him, so I believe he is sitting on the couch with a Coronita enjoying a few reruns of Matlock and Murder She Wrote." - Le Phen

That had me rolling. lol

To what posts are you guys referring?

1620364_672032302837889_360798598_n.jpg

Jbr shift knob. About 7 months old. Thoughts?

Phen's retort hours later:

Coming from an engineering background, I'm going to approach this analytically. First question, did you expect a coating to be invincible? If yes, then the rest of my analysis is wasted because nothing is invincible. If no, then let us analyze the conditions in which this product is exposed. Ohio... weather is unpredictable. In fact, it's been god damn cold lately. Crazy cold takes its toll on literally everything. Another factor... this it touched by human hands. Human hands are oily and acidic. Acid ruins coatings, believe me, I know. I've already had my no-name shift knob recoated after only 2 years of use. I've also had to replace gold plated guitar hardware from my oily, nasty ass hands touching it. A third factor is friction. Let's say you're proving yourself against some pesky riced out Honda (FYHN). You go to grab second gear. You reach for the shift knob, your had slips off right after it goes into gear. Friction on a coated surface. Wear occurs, as minuscule as it may be. Coating is compromised. Factors 1 and 2 come into play more. Now... as a fellow Mazdaspeed owner who understands the mentality of "I can't let this riced out piece of s*** get the best of me," factor 3 occurs a lot. Wear is increased. There is but a 4th factor that I've not included yet. The fact that many folks these days leave their hands on the shifter while cruising around. A bad habit as that can cause unnecessary leverage on the s*** linkages (cables in this application) which will transfer to the gearbox itself. Not an important factor, so we'll ignore this. This habit of leaving a hand on the top of the shifter will transfer the aforementioned oils and acids to the non-invincible coating where the hand is resting, compromising said coating in additional ways. Judging by the location of the compromised coating, this habit could be a likely culprit. In conclusion, any product could have quality issues. If these issues persist, perhaps a Six Sigma audit is in order. However based upon what I've read in the last wasted hour of my evening, this entire problem could have been resolved by a simple phone call or email to the manufacturer saying "Hi, this is occurring. I don't feel that it's acceptable. What are your thoughts about it." If their response is unacceptable and unfriendly, at this point is when you post to all your friends and ask for opinions. Too often has the car scene succumbed to the knee-jerk reactions of people looking for sympathy, support, and a fellow "**** the vendor" response (See examples of SURE, however they legitimately had it coming). On top of that, too many are quick to blame everyone but themselves for any product failure. Again I say, I'm not defending anyone in the regard, but sometimes we all need to stop and think about things as they occur.

I skimmed through. I like Phen's posts.

The person who posted that pic has a filthy car.

Thats what I was thinking, also he said he is a mechanic, do you know what kind of corrosive s*** he has on his hands every day?

It get's really old and some of the idiotic rhetoric is assinine! As I stated in that thread, I hated that Mazda went away from its model for Speeds, going beyond the 2 years........in all honesty, I think some of the base is worse than the SRT-4 fanbois.......my JBR knob is just fine and so are the ones in the I-Moto MS3's too! I think those guys know how to shift though!

Marlon that's kinda why I call them Mazdaspeed SRT owners... They have that SRT4 mentality and that's not a compliment haha

It get's really old and some of the idiotic rhetoric is assinine! As I stated in that thread, I hated that Mazda went away from its model for Speeds, going beyond the 2 years........in all honesty, I think some of the base is worse than the SRT-4 fanbois.......my JBR knob is just fine and so are the ones in the I-Moto MS3's too! I think those guys know how to shift though!

Your post was also excellent and very true as well. But unfortunately none of those people care. They are the way they are, they bought the car because turbo and fast.

Marlon that's kinda why I call them Mazdaspeed SRT owners... They have that SRT4 mentality and that's not a compliment haha

These sheep don't even understand the culture or the brand, damn shame.........I like the analogy! BTW, I did order you a jacket!

Last edited:
Helping my sister move tomorrow. Probably lounging around the house and playing some guitar the rest of the time.

pick up a post dated check on Saturday, Sunday is mandatory OT. Other than that some laundry and some homework.

Continuing work on the bathroom. Stripping wallpaper, patching holes and painting the bathroom walls... Gotten a little bit done each of the past 3 nights but hoping to finish it this weekend

Not a damn thing! crappy weather, too cold to work on my cars, going through track withdrawals and having to prep for Sebring. Will be scheduling a tech talk with Michelin and also Bondurant Driving Schools, so I will be chatting with Johnny O'Connell and Darren Law. Maybe I can get the, to give me a weeknd of drivng at one of their schools......could not hurt to ask!

Back