Synthectic to regular motor oil!!??

yashooa said:
I change my Mobil 1 every 6-8000 miles. So far after 52,000 miles at 12PSI my car has held up fine 4 quarts go in and 4 quarts come out every time.
The cost is offset somewhat by the longer intervals.
this is what i like to see......

yashooa, how does your oil look when you change it? probably similar looking to when you first put it in?

First change, I got regular at 3k. Then I got Mobil1 Synth at 6k with a crappy filter, so I changed it again at 9k with a K&N filter and more Mobil1. This next time, I don't think I'll change it until 11 or 12k with more Mobil1 and another K&N.

Alex

yashooa said:
I change my Mobil 1 every 6-8000 miles. So far after 52,000 miles at 12PSI my car has held up fine 4 quarts go in and 4 quarts come out every time.
The cost is offset somewhat by the longer intervals.
Yeah, but your MSP was touched by Jesus or something(bowdown) ...I bet if any of us tried to do what you do we would go BOOM!!! BTW, now you are making me feel uber-stupid for changing my Mobil1 every 3000!!!

I run syn. but one morning before school, all my oil drained...dunno why but it did. Regaurdless I had like $5 on me and I had to switch back to reg for the time. Its only been about 500-600 miles. I am changing my oil back soon, I have the syn in my trunk right now, just lazy.

Chris

I currently have Mobil One in my car. I change it every 5000 miles. Easy enough to remember.

Not sure if I should cut it down to three grand when my turbo goes in next weekend, though.

i think mazda recommends 5000-mile oil change intervals which is what i do. mobil 1 and just the regular, small mazda oil filter.

i wouldn't think changing from syn to dino would cause you to notice any differences.

as everyone else has already stated, syn is always better for FI.

dino vs syn

I go 5000 miles on Mobil 1 and 3000 miles on dino oil. I figure it pretty cost effective to use Mobil 1 because you change your oil and filter less frequently. I just switched from Mobil 1 to dino because I got some free oil from Valvoline Racing. Can't beat free...

The 3000 mile oil change on a NA car is a myth perpetuated by the oil companies and retail/lube shops. Most cars will go 5-7k before its get to be a problem. We used to save money on a 10,000 car fleet by changing oil every 7k and we saw no noticeable increase in loss of engines. Of course, that was a lot of Ford Taurus's and not a MSP.

Turbos run hotter and breakdown the oil quicker so it's probably good insurance to change it more frequently than a NA car.

unwound said:
i think mazda recommends 5000-mile oil change intervals which is what i do. mobil 1 and just the regular, small mazda oil filter.

i wouldn't think changing from syn to dino would cause you to notice any differences.

as everyone else has already stated, syn is always better for FI.

NeverSober said:
I run syn. but one morning before school, all my oil drained...dunno why but it did.
Was your car jacked up and a whole bunch of stuff missing too? Crap! (wow)

I just changed to Torco full-syn after running a syn blend for while. Noticed a smoother running engine and less vibration throughout the car. With AWR mounts, that was a really noticable difference.

All full-syns can go 7k before change? Or is that a mobil1 thing?

I use Royal Purple Street... no problems with it. Not a huge noticable difference in driving, but I think it works pretty well.

Back