Synthectic to regular motor oil!!??

Fai

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed
How bad is it for the MSP if I change back from synthectic to regular engine oil? or can i do that... cause I kinda tight on money and synthectic is kinda expensive.. does synthectic really worth the price?
just wanna know thz...

(drive)

Fai said:
How bad is it for the MSP if I change back from synthectic to regular engine oil? or can i do that... cause I kinda tight on money and synthectic is kinda expensive.. does synthectic really worth the price?
just wanna know thz...

(drive)
i believe you should jest keep the synthetic. it lasts a hell of a lot longer than the dino-oil and takes longer to break down. you then can change it on longer intervals and make the cost even out over the long run. You probably pay 2.5-3 times more for synthetic but it can last about 2-3 times longer than dino-oil. i don't think it is worth it if you use synthetic and change every 3K. i use synthetic and change between 5-7K. Mobile 1 says their stuff can can go 20K with a filter change at 10k. i believe that is a little to long.....i am sure I can go 10K between changes and that would be fine. 7K is a goodand cost effiecent.....

my $.02!

wow... I guess I'm wasting money, I change my royal purple every 3k. (drive)

Protege52003 said:
i believe you should jest keep the synthetic. it lasts a hell of a lot longer than the dino-oil and takes longer to break down. you then can change it on longer intervals and make the cost even out over the long run. You probably pay 2.5-3 times more for synthetic but it can last about 2-3 times longer than dino-oil. i don't think it is worth it if you use synthetic and change every 3K. i use synthetic and change between 5-7K. Mobile 1 says their stuff can can go 20K with a filter change at 10k. i believe that is a little to long.....i am sure I can go 10K between changes and that would be fine. 7K is a goodand cost effiecent.....

my $.02!

ONRAILS said:
wow... I guess I'm wasting money, I change my royal purple every 3k. (drive)
what does royal purple recommend for changing intervals. hell if they say 3k, which i doubt they do, that is fine......i bet they say much longer than 3k though.

i would feel like i was wasting my money changing my syn oil every 3k. i feel a little better doing it every 7k'ish. maybe i will hold off a little longer (8k or half a year)? I do a lot of driving though.....

another topic like this is when people use prem gas in a car where regular is fine. they don't understand that there will be no difference in the way the car runs or performs from recommended octane. sometimes an older engine might require higher octane to minimize pinging and other noises?

well, have to get back to work......

Protege52003 said:
another topic like this is when people use prem gas in a car where regular is fine. they don't understand that there will be no difference in the way the car runs or performs from recommended octane. sometimes an older engine might require higher octane to minimize pinging and other noises?

well, have to get back to work......

Good luck with regular on a FI application.

well this is right off the Mobile site

so when you change is up to you. if u have warranty left, maybe changing at intervals is best

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
ic_faq_question.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top>Can I go longer without changing my oil if I use a synthetic? </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
ic_faq_answer.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top>While Mobil 1 has given excellent results in extended oil drain tests, the safest and recommended practice is to follow your owner's manual. You can go all the way to the maximum mileage or time frame shown in your owner's manual for oil changes when using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn. This allows the reserve protection capabilities of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn to cover the unusual or unexpected driving conditions that we all experience from time to time.

Oil change intervals can be as short as 3,000 miles or as long as 15,000 miles on some new cars. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn's high-performance reserves give you the confidence to go the full mileage or time frame recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn is especially suitable for the latest vehicles with extended drain intervals or vehicles with oil monitoring systems that vary oil drain intervals.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

msp35 said:
Good luck with regular on a FI application.
did i say that i had an FI car? i drove a saab 900 turbo for many years and could run 87-93 octane. liked the higher better when pushed hard, but I could use 89 with no problem.

My dad's old 9-5 2.3t had no problem running on regular. His 2003 Cobra SVT, however needed premium and now he's got a 2001 9-5 Aero (same 2.3t but basically higher boost and better ECU) that needs premium. FI or N/A doesn't really matter. It all depends on how your engine's made to take it. With oil, however, since superchargers and turbos spin so fast, and get very hot, I think full synthetic is always a better choice.

Protege52003 said:
did i say that i had an FI car? i drove a saab 900 turbo for many years and could run 87-93 octane. liked the higher better when pushed hard, but I could use 89 with no problem.
Well, this IS the MSP section, and I don't know of anyone who's removed their turbo.

mspdfreak said:
Well, this IS the MSP section, and I don't know of anyone who's removed their turbo.
i knew this was in the MSP section. i just made the original symthetic oil statment and comparing it to the octane example in saving money sense. my fiance drives a jetta with the 1.8 T and it runs fine with with regular. VW says run at least 87 in the car but higher octane might perform better.

my father drives the 626 with the 2.5L V6 and it can run on 87-93. it runs fine on regular but performs much better with the higher octane.

what does the owners manual say to use for the MSP?

sorry to cause any tension here...in the MSP section.

-R

Protege52003 said:
i knew this was in the MSP section. i just made the original symthetic oil statment and comparing it to the octane example in saving money sense. my fiance drives a jetta with the 1.8 T and it runs fine with with regular. VW says run at least 87 in the car but higher octane might perform better.

my father drives the 626 with the 2.5L V6 and it can run on 87-93. it runs fine on regular but performs much better with the higher octane.

what does the owners manual say to use for the MSP?

sorry to cause any tension here...in the MSP section.

-R
MSP owners manual say 91 octane at least.

Aaron said:
MSP owners manual say 91 octane at least.
so high test all the way......i thought that it might say it was okay to run lower octane like other turbo'd cars that I know of. thanks.....

I change my Mobil 1 every 6-8000 miles. So far after 52,000 miles at 12PSI my car has held up fine 4 quarts go in and 4 quarts come out every time.
The cost is offset somewhat by the longer intervals.

acutally on a turbo'd car you should change the oil every 3k... esp at that boost. Do what works for you.

Back